Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 02:01 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,109,199 times

Advertisements

It's not because we smile and wink. It is because we tell you the truth with kindness and compassion.

Nurses Voted ’Most Trusted’ Profession, Again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 02:01 PM

15,534 posts, read 10,507,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
No, she is taking a calculated risk to establish her rights and the rights of others. It is complex. To complex for you>?
It's not that complex. One could say, she is trying to show others that you are not contagious until you have a fever, show symptoms, test positive and so on. (Actually, you probably aren't contagious until the disease is well advanced, but that's another story). However, she fails to realize that she is sending a message that exposure is to be treated lightly. Imo, that's dangerous.

Last edited by elan; 10-30-2014 at 02:19 PM..

Old 10-30-2014, 02:02 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,333,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
What makes her think she is so darn special?
I don't know. IMO she has royally screwed her career. Would you want to work with or be nursed by someone as casually indifferent to a deadly disease like Ebola? Contrast her actions to the CA surgeon Dr. Colin Bucks - “I’m California’s most experienced Ebola physician. I won’t take a single chance,” said Dr. Bucks in a New York Times interview. “My wife is away, my dog is away — there’s no downside to a little personal convenience, 3 weeks will pass.” Who's the more responsible healthcare giver? Stanford Surgeon Under

Old 10-30-2014, 02:04 PM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I don't know. IMO she has royally screwed her career. Would you want to work with or be nursed by someone as casually indifferent to a deadly disease like Ebola? Contrast her actions to the CA surgeon Dr. Colin Bucks - “I’m California’s most experienced Ebola physician. I won’t take a single chance,” said Dr. Bucks in a New York Times interview. “My wife is away, my dog is away — there’s no downside to a little personal convenience, 3 weeks will pass.” Who's the more responsible healthcare giver? Stanford Surgeon Under
All she has done is go for a bike ride in the middle of nowhere.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:05 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,109,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
It's not that complex. One could say, she is trying to show others that you are not contagious until people have a fever, show symptoms, test positive and so on. (Actually, you probably aren't contagious until the disease is well advanced, but that's another story). However, she fails to realize that she is sending a message that exposure is to be treated lightly. Imo, that's dangerous.
She is sending a message that she is not infected and is a citizen of the United States and as such has the right to live freely. You were talking not complex....right?

Old 10-30-2014, 02:06 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,019,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
She objected to having her temperature taken at the airport. She absolutely freaked out at being quarantined in New Jersey. She publicly stated she intends to break any quarantine. She actively broke at home quarantine, something she previously agreed to do. I think her actions are less about duty and more about politics based on both her own words and her own actions.
And so we take it at her word she's self monitoring. She also said she doesn't present any health risk to anyone - so why should she bother self-monitoring? She clearly decides what is appropriate for her to do and not do - notwithstanding what anyone else has to say.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:06 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,333,807 times
Quote:
Strong, brave and wish to be left alone. Nurses are advocates.
Hmm, no, I didn't get that at all. All I got was selfish, willful and spoiled, and I know a number of RN's who wouldn't dream of advocating her behavior.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:07 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,019,847 times
Quote:
It's not because we smile and wink. It is because we tell you the truth with kindness and compassion.

Nurses Voted ’Most Trusted’ Profession, Again
Nurses are great, but for anything serious you tell us the doctor will discuss it with us.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:08 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,028,329 times
Quote:
Agree. This has always been my impression of health care workers. They put others above themselves unlike Kaci Hickox.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:10 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,671,879 times
Quote:
Hmm, no, I didn't get that at all. All I got was selfish, willful and spoiled, and I know a number of RN's who wouldn't dream of advocating her behavior.
RNs are not a monolithic block of humanity. My wife has been a nurse for about eight years. She tells me that they are representative of the population in general; some are smart, some aren't so smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies