Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 11:46 AM

5,291 posts, read 6,233,637 times

Advertisements

FWIW- all presidential and vice presidential families get this treatment. We heard all about Bush 1's kids various business/financial failures. Ditto Gore's son when he decided to drive a Prius late a NASCAR racer and did a little phfft, phfft, pass. Reagan's younger two kids darned near hired someone to follow them with neon arrows. I remember stories about Chelsea Clinton getting drunk when she did a semester or trip in Britain. Eleanor Mondale was widely discussed as a woman about town years after her dad was out of office.

I think when these issues draw the most attention is when they run counter to the candidate/politician's own messaging or positions. So 'woman's rights' candidates like Ted Kennedy or even Bob Packwood make not just eyes roll but heads swivel. The Clintons involvement in Whitewater while branding themselves as squeaky clean and pro working man also comes to mind. Cheney politically (and financially) benefited from political campaigns that stirred anti-gay issues and propaganda while channeling his own lesbian daughter into plush jobs and a protective cocoon also comes to mind. And this is the same boat Palin was in since she was so pro-abstinence and conservative on some social issues but those positions had failed her own family. The bigger kicker for Palin was that she was running for national office while her daughter was underage and pregnant- I actually remember more conservative heads exploding over that than liberal.

One thing that makes me wonder about the next election is if America is ready for Round 5.0 of the Clinton marriage and $ saga and yet another Bush who has kids that have (or at least had) addiction issues. At some point we voters appear just as in need of a 12 step program as the political families because we just keep picking the types of flawed people to lead us. Over and over and over again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 11:49 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,139,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Biden's son discharged from Navy after drug test - CNN.com

Joe Biden's son, who is in his 40s, was discharged from the Naval Reserves. He showed up for reserve duty and submitted to a drug test. His test came back positive for cocaine. Not very smart for a lawyer who is the son of a national politician. You're a man in your 40s, you're a lawyer, you're a managing partner at a law firm, you're father is in national politics, and you're an officer in the Naval Reserves. You should know better than to use cocaine. Even worse, you used cocaine within enough time before reporting to reserve duty to pop positive for cocaine. Cocaine flushes through your system pretty quick, especially when compared to pot. I have a feeling he didn't really want to remain in the Naval reserves or he's such an addict that he didn't care anymore.

Do I think this deserves regular coverage like the Bush twins underage drinking received, no and I don't think their underage drinking should have gotten so much coverage either. Teenagers regularly do underage drinking. Their getting caught is a news story, but not that much coverage. In this case, this is a man in his 40s, managing partner at a law firm, and an officer in the Naval Reserve. This isn't a case of teenagers partying like teenagers do.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:00 PM

15,656 posts, read 10,428,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
FWIW- all presidential and vice presidential families get this treatment. We heard all about Bush 1's kids various business/financial failures. Ditto Gore's son when he decided to drive a Prius late a NASCAR racer and did a little phfft, phfft, pass. Reagan's younger two kids darned near hired someone to follow them with neon arrows. I remember stories about Chelsea Clinton getting drunk when she did a semester or trip in Britain. Eleanor Mondale was widely discussed as a woman about town years after her dad was out of office.

I think when these issues draw the most attention is when they run counter to the candidate/politician's own messaging or positions. So 'woman's rights' candidates like Ted Kennedy or even Bob Packwood make not just eyes roll but heads swivel. The Clintons involvement in Whitewater while branding themselves as squeaky clean and pro working man also comes to mind. Cheney politically (and financially) benefited from political campaigns that stirred anti-gay issues and propaganda while channeling his own lesbian daughter into plush jobs and a protective cocoon also comes to mind. And this is the same boat Palin was in since she was so pro-abstinence and conservative on some social issues but those positions had failed her own family. The bigger kicker for Palin was that she was running for national office while her daughter was underage and pregnant- I actually remember more conservative heads exploding over that than liberal.

One thing that makes me wonder about the next election is if America is ready for Round 5.0 of the Clinton marriage and $ saga and yet another Bush who has kids that have (or at least had) addiction issues. At some point we voters appear just as in need of a 12 step program as the political families because we just keep picking the types of flawed people to lead us. Over and over and over again.
You know any perfect families? I sure don't, even though I know some wonderful, loving families all have skeletons in the closet including issues with addiction, or mental illness, or legal problems. I wonder why we Americans think our politicians have to be saints for their whole lives, including their families?

I long for a political leader that doesn't lie to me, talk down to me, has a few real ideas, makes realistic promises, and takes responsibility for his/her actions without blaming the other guy. I know....never happen.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:23 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,909,763 times
According to the new normal, any and all politician's families get dragged through the blood and mud for the fact they are family to the political figure. Conservatives are always fair game as far as the MSM is concerned. "I can see Russia from my yard".

It's about time to start in on the little Obamas as they have been ''hands off'' for too long.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:31 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,971,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
According to the new normal, any and all politician's families get dragged through the blood and mud for the fact they are family to the political figure. Conservatives are always fair game as far as the MSM is concerned. "I can see Russia from my yard".

It's about time to start in on the little Obamas as they have been ''hands off'' for too long.
Big Difference, Palin made her children into props and put them on a National Stage, so they became fair game, even though I disagree with going after anyone's children, even hers. Just as I would have issue with you doing so with the Obamas children, something I can assure you would only do once if you were standing next to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies