Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 02:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
Not sure where you get the idea that food is expensive in europe, this may be true for some european countries but I can say it is not true in the UK. When I first moved to the US I was shocked at the price of most staple grocery goods, I had been paying 22p (about 35cents) for a loaf of white bread, the same over here was $2.99 or more.

Don't judge a country by its high gas price, remember the majority of vehicles in the UK get higher mpg than cars in the US, diesel is priced close to gas as their small 1.8 diesel cars are capable of 60+mpg (Yes I have first hand knowledge of this)

IMO the cost of living in the UK (property prices aside) is much lower than here in the US
Oh, come on! You can get a 1# loaf of store-brand bread here for under $1.

Diesel doesn't work well at Colorado's high altitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 03:34 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,431,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, come on! You can get a 1# loaf of store-brand bread here for under $1.

Not around here you can't

Diesel doesn't work well at Colorado's high altitude.
Untrue, this has been proved over and over that diesel engines actually perform better at altitude than gas engines.

Link here: Five myths about diesel engines | Argonne National Laboratory

Old 10-21-2014, 04:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Untrue, this has been proved over and over that diesel engines actually perform better at altitude than gas engines.

Link here: Five myths about diesel engines | Argonne National Laboratory
They're bad for our air; they pollute more.
https://blog.gasbuddy.com/posts/Dies...16825-364.aspx
"But when it comes to smog-forming pollutants and toxic particulate matter, also known as soot, today's diesels are still a lot dirtier than the average gasoline car."

Read more at https://blog.gasbuddy.com/posts/Dies...opCqUyO122w.99
And look what I found about London:
Diesel drivers may face higher costs in pollution battle | Environment | theguardian.com
**Drivers in London with vehicles fuelled by diesel will be charged an additional fee similar to the existing £11.50 congestion charge, if proposals by the mayor Boris Johnson are accepted.

The plans are aimed at reducing air pollution, which in the capital has reached levels far above legal safety limits, leading to the prospect of large fines from the European Union.**

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 10-21-2014 at 04:11 PM..

Old 10-21-2014, 04:59 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,903,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
since we have someone here suggesting that $10 a gallon in like Europe would be great - it would encourage people to dive less (lol)...

why not also tax the heck out of groceries, and raise them to the price point they are in Europe. Why would we want a higher standard of living, if we could just all take our expendable income and hand it to the Government? They know what's best for us
While we're trying to be expensive and progressive like Europe, I think it's about time we have a national church funded by tax money.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:59 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
While we're trying to be expensive and progressive like Europe, I think it's about time we have a national church funded by tax money.

Oh you mean, so we can come full circle, and return to what the founders left in the first place? Seems that with the progressive cancer that has infected this nation, we're heading that way anyway.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:06 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,392,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Oil policy has a direct effect on our expensive geopolitics, out of control health care costs, and environmental pollution. The last thread is a legitimate discussion. This thread is just trolling.

the other thread is only legitmate if you are a whacked out self loathing prog. Those of us who arent selfhaters. how believe that progress is a good thing think a inexpensive energy is a no-brainer.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:11 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
But it would also drive up prices as energy even crude based produces 13K essential products produced. Its also would mean higher cost from delivery and those service that have to use it. Energy drives the economy and the cheaper the better lower the COL. Higher energy means more cost and less competitiveness in a world market. Just as higher tax added to production means less competitiveness and jobs in world market place. Saw that Apple for instance now makes 60% of their sales in foreign markets which shows how important being able to compete means.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:17 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,434,361 times
Quote:
Not sure where you get the idea that food is expensive in europe, this may be true for some european countries but I can say it is not true in the UK. When I first moved to the US I was shocked at the price of most staple grocery goods, I had been paying 22p (about 35cents) for a loaf of white bread, the same over here was $2.99 or more.

Don't judge a country by its high gas price, remember the majority of vehicles in the UK get higher mpg than cars in the US, diesel is priced close to gas as their small 1.8 diesel cars are capable of 60+mpg (Yes I have first hand knowledge of this)

IMO the cost of living in the UK (property prices aside) is much lower than here in the US
I'm just back from a visit to Las Vegas. We went in Wal-Mart checking prices of food compared to England. I hate to tell ya, but American food costs shocked me. Higher than England for sure.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:11 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,791 times
Quote:
Here's the average household expenditure for food by country:

USA: 6.6%

UK: 9.1%
Germany: 10.9%
Sweden: 11.5%
Finland: 11.9%
Norway: 12.9%
France: 13.2%
Italy: 14.2%
Greece: 16.5%

Most of Europe spends about twice as much of their household income on food as compared to the Average American household.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:05 AM

469 posts, read 762,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Here's the average household expenditure for food by country:

USA: 6.6%
Does this include federal taxes paid to subsidize low food prices?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies