Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 09:39 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times

Advertisements

Bear spray?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 09:40 AM

151 posts, read 183,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
....... To me it sounds kind of insane, even having more than one gun in there own home is weird. Having a gun in the house strictly for defending yourself is one thing, having like 10 guns in your house is overboard, but I do know some people who have a bunch of rifles and hand guns, and I do not visit those people in there house.
Now that's absolutely fearless! Doesn't have a clue; is barely able to recognize which end of the gun the bullet comes out of, but still plunges right in and posts. Bravo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I would never date any man who carried a gun anywhere for any reason. Therefore, non issue.
Relax! It's not going to happen. (What makes you think I'd even ask you out, anyway?)

Old 10-26-2014, 10:16 AM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
If you visited my house, you would not even know how many guns I have here. Or where they are. Because they are not in plain view. But I know where they are...and there are more than you think....
What would offend me is you not telling me you have guns in your home before I enter. I don't know too many people who do own guns, but all of them have told me that they own guns, and if they didn't go further, that's all the information I need to know. I'd probably be offended if a gun owner didn't at least respect me enough to not inform me that he does have guns in his home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, it's one of those things of one size doesn't fit all. Take the USP for instance. It's an excellent backup or substitute for a rifle when you can't carry a rifle. Catch is, it's not that concealable unless one is wearing a field jacket. So I got a Kimber Ultra Carry. Same caliber as the USP so it didn't expand my ammo needs. But unlike its full size brothers, it's not that reliable. The last rounds tend to "tumble" at the top of the magazine and it doesn't always eject completely, resulting in "stove piping".

So my gun dealer got me a Sig Sauer P229 which is excellent as a gun one could take with them when exercising. Of course, as a 9 mm, it extended my ammo needs. But at least with an Uzi carbine, I have a common round between a pistol and a rifle.

The AR10 is a wonderful long range rifle.....and darn expensive to operate. Perhaps 80 cents a round, perhaps more. So I picked the lighter, cheaper round AR15.

Etc, etc, etc.

Well, "Your significant other travels with a rifle and pistol. What's your reaction to that?"

I suppose in part that since I am in Texas, many in Texas would see it, potentially, different than in other parts of the county................but that's just a guess.

Rather interesting once on a trip or two visiting relatives. My Sis in Law responded, when I told her I was carrying a rifle, that she always expected me to carry something extra. But my nephew, her son, was surprised to find that I always travel with a rifle.

Oh, well!
I don't see any reason why a person has to have more than one gun unless that person is in the military. You are super paranoid if you feel like having all those guns is going to solve whatever problems you think owning many guns is going to solve. I know some people collect guns, and a few have a large collection of guns, but the last time they mentioned there collection, every one of those guns were all disassembled and in a very specific place in there home, door locked, cabinet locked, key always on them, so no one could get into that room. I have more respect for them than I do a person who has 5-6 guns all ready to fire with rounds in each.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:49 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
What would offend me is you not telling me you have guns in your home before I enter. I don't know too many people who do own guns, but all of them have told me that they own guns, and if they didn't go further, that's all the information I need to know. I'd probably be offended if a gun owner didn't at least respect me enough to not inform me that he does have guns in his home.
Why? It's really none of your business. What if you came in, stayed for dinner and left, and the subject of guns never once came up? Why would you expect someone to give disclosure on their having guns in their home? It's not like they jump out spontaneously and start shooting of their own free will.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:53 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
OP, haven't you been diagnosed with PTSD and some other mental issues? Is it even legal for you to be carrying a loaded weapon in public?

Old 10-26-2014, 12:15 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
Oh so people should just be defenseless and hope that their number isn't picked? I find that stupid, no offense. That's like not having a fire extinguisher in your house/kitchen because the odds are good that you'll never need it. When you do need it, and don't have it, bad things are going to happen. Same with driving a safe car and wearing a seatbelt, wearing a helmet/leathers on a motorcycle... you don't expect things to go wrong but you prepare for it just in case.

It's funny that some people on here feel less safe around someone who has the ability to protect them then they do around someone who doesn't have that ability. Talk about backwards.
I can't say I even know where our fire extinguisher is. It used to be in the closet but I think my husband may have put it on our boat
At any rate, if there were a fire my priority would be getting my kids and animals our of the house, not extinguishing flames. If my house burns to the ground... BBoo hoo. Oh well.

It's the law to wear a seat belt in my state.... I would wear it any way though but I don't feel a personal need to carry a gun.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:39 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Why? It's really none of your business. What if you came in, stayed for dinner and left, and the subject of guns never once came up? Why would you expect someone to give disclosure on their having guns in their home? It's not like they jump out spontaneously and start shooting of their own free will.
As I thought I said in a previous post, it's something the gun owners have told me before I would go into there house, or would immediately point out as soon as I would walk into there house. When I met one of my closest friends in middle school, the first thing his dad walked me to was his gun case, he showed me his gun collection, and then put it away. All gun owners that I've known throughout my lifetime has done something similar when first entering into there house somehow. It may not be a custom all gun owners do, but it's something I have grown to assume would happen out of respect or just a "Hey I do own at least 1 gun."

That's why I'd be a little offended. I know some sane gun owners, and some gun owners who will look for any reason under the sun to bring out there gun and load it. All it takes is one stupid gun owner to ruin any good reputation a person has towards other gun owners.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:49 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
........I don't see any reason why a person has to have more than one gun unless that person is in the military. You are super paranoid if you feel like having all those guns is going to solve whatever problems you think owning many guns is going to solve. I know some people collect guns, and a few have a large collection of guns, but the last time they mentioned there collection, every one of those guns were all disassembled and in a very specific place in there home, door locked, cabinet locked, key always on them, so no one could get into that room. I have more respect for them than I do a person who has 5-6 guns all ready to fire with rounds in each.
AND

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
OP, haven't you been diagnosed with PTSD and some other mental issues? Is it even legal for you to be carrying a loaded weapon in public?
I just love how people are making assumptions right and left about me, seeing how we have never met. Talk about trial in absentia!

Quote:
As I thought I said in a previous post, it's something the gun owners have told me before I would go into there house, or would immediately point out as soon as I would walk into there house. When I met one of my closest friends in middle school, the first thing his dad walked me to was his gun case, he showed me his gun collection, and then put it away. All gun owners that I've known throughout my lifetime has done something similar when first entering into there house somehow. It may not be a custom all gun owners do, but it's something I have grown to assume would happen out of respect or just a "Hey I do own at least 1 gun." ........
Well, you know what Candace said........ (at 2:02)

Miss Congeniality - Trailer HD - YouTube

Old 10-26-2014, 12:53 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
As I thought I said in a previous post, it's something the gun owners have told me before I would go into there house, or would immediately point out as soon as I would walk into there house. When I met one of my closest friends in middle school, the first thing his dad walked me to was his gun case, he showed me his gun collection, and then put it away. All gun owners that I've known throughout my lifetime has done something similar when first entering into there house somehow. It may not be a custom all gun owners do, but it's something I have grown to assume would happen out of respect or just a "Hey I do own at least 1 gun."

That's why I'd be a little offended. I know some sane gun owners, and some gun owners who will look for any reason under the sun to bring out there gun and load it. All it takes is one stupid gun owner to ruin any good reputation a person has towards other gun owners.
To me it simply does not compute to openly volunteer such information. Most people who come into my house already know I'm a gun owner anyway. But in the event someone does not know me, I certainly am not going to be open about it unless someone asks. It does not need to front and center. Sort of like CCW. If I carry, nobody will ever know. Same goes for my house. Nobody who comes and goes NEEDS to know.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:03 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
I wouldn't date anyone that carried. I've travelled all over the country and abroad and have never felt the need for a gun. Actually, I've never felt the need for a gun ever in my life. Guns make me uncomfortable so I don't think I would ever dated someone that carried on them unless it was part of their profession. But then, I probably wouldn't be with someone that needed to carry a gun for work either because I don't think I could handle being with someone in a dangerous line of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies