Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for this proposal?
Yes 7 11.11%
No 56 88.89%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 10:03 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I call it the desire to be a success, that doesn't just fall into your lap for most people. I expect to be rewarded for my efforts. If there is no reward who's going to take my place, the guy flipping burgers at McDonald's? He's not ging to do what I do, that's why he's working at Mcdonald's in the first place.
I rest my case.

You want a "prize" at the top. You want to obtain special treatment. You can still earn money under this plan. In fact, your first $500,000 annually will be tax-free.. but you're willing to refuse it because you want to be rewarded. You want the dream of being better and more powerful than everyone else.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 10:14 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
As late as the 1960's the top income tax rate was 90% and the economy was doing far better than now. The current problem is the hyper wealthy are hoarding their ill gotten gains (you think everybody lost their shirts in 2008? Not the people that deliberately started the collapse and shorted the bond markets) and the Republicans blocking desperately needed domestic spending while wasting money in the Middle East.

I agree with the OP's concept. I usually put it as all income from all sources including illegal (a dollar is a dollar), lottery winnings and inheritance are counted and the amount above the 85th percentile taxed at geometrically increasing rate sufficiently to pay for all the military spending while domestic spending can be covered by transfer payments (Social Security also based on all earned income with no cap) or borrowing. This is based on the premise that the more you have to protect the more you pay.

I would laugh if this system were in place and I won the lottery but so what. Both items are about equally possible in our wealth and glory dominated economy and society.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:21 AM

89,030 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Obama and his Dem Congress are rich. They have to keep their donors happy.
Why do you think cutting their tax rate to 0% wouldn't make them happy?

Old 10-31-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why do you think cutting their tax rate to 0% wouldn't make them happy?
...because they care about being richer than you. That's why they are taxing you to hell with FICA. That is why there aare countless tax breaks and subsidises for large corporations. Politicians are puppets for the wealthy; they are bought and sold.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:49 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
...because they care about being richer than you. That's why they are taxing you to hell with FICA. That is why there aare countless tax breaks and subsidises for large corporations. Politicians are puppets for the wealthy; they are bought and sold.
ok...if you say so....

now why would YOU want to be BIASED, and DISCRIMINATORY against one group.....

tax EVERYONE at the same rate.....stop the discriminatory acts of the government

Old 10-31-2014, 10:50 AM

89,030 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
That is why there are countless tax breaks and subsidises for large corporations. Politicians are puppets for the wealthy; they are bought and sold.
Or... it could be that they have half a clue and realize that increasing corporate taxes drives business and jobs off-shore, and/or increases prices on the consumer.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
ok...if you say so....

now why would YOU want to be BIASED, and DISCRIMINATORY against one group.....

tax EVERYONE at the same rate.....stop the discriminatory acts of the government
Everyone is being taxed at the same rate. You are all paying 0% on your first $500,000. That's how marginal taxes work. Where is the discrimination?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Or... it could be that they have half a clue and realize that increasing corporate taxes drives business and jobs off-shore, and/or increases prices on the consumer.
Corporate taxes are useless to begin with.

Question... do you honestly thing our government can't get corporations to "pay up?" The loopholes are there intentionally...

Old 10-31-2014, 11:14 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
I rest my case.

You want a "prize" at the top. You want to obtain special treatment.
Expecting to be rewarded for your work is not special treatment, those opportunities are available for everyone. You need rewards for success and consequences for failure.

Quote:
You can still earn money under this plan. In fact, your first $500,000 annually will be tax-free.
You're rewarding mediocrity...... It's those people that go out and make millions that grease the wheels of our economy, you can't expect to replace them with less sucessful people. Less successful people are less successful for a reason.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Expecting to be rewarded for your work is not special treatment, those opportunities are available for everyone. You need rewards for success and consequences for failure.
Children need rewards and prizes.

That tax plan won't prevent a single person from striving for wealth. It didn't in the 20th century, why would it now? You don't go to work every day just to be uber-rich, do you?

Quote:
You're rewarding mediocrity......
I'm not rewarding anything.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:26 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:

That tax plan won't prevent a single person from striving for wealth.
So I start a business and I make 1 million, I managed to bank 600K after taxes and paying for my toys. Explain to me why I would take the extra effort and risk putting that 600K back into my business to expand it if the government is going to take 90% of my net profit? I'd have to be a moron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies