Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 08:14 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,637,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
I think, if most people sit down a look at the larger picture instead of a short term 5-10-20 year snapshot, it becomes apparent that there are significant long term structural issues facing us as not only a country but as a global economy as technology rapidly replaces the need for human labor. And until that labor becomes cheaper than the technology the market, absent other pressures, is not going to bode well for much of the population.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 09:51 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
what could you possibly be talking about?
An open economy works to correct the follies of dreamers and the politicians who pander to them; that's why most of the people here resent it.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:55 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
So why all the whining on CD about people not being able to find jobs?

Old 11-10-2014, 10:23 PM

760 posts, read 769,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
So why all the whining on CD about people not being able to find jobs?
1) Because they don't want to work 20 hour weeks, rotating shifts at McDonalds for minimum wage and no benefits, the cost to drive to and from work every day would almost exceed the pay.

2) Because we need to generate at least 150,000 new jobs per month just to keep up with population growth alone. That means only 64,000 true new jobs were added since the rest would be needed to keep up with population growth

Old 11-10-2014, 10:43 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,313,309 times
5.8%? Hurray!........still unemployed...lol

Old 11-11-2014, 04:09 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
When an industrialized nation faces no competition for markets because it's competitors are in ruins --- as was the case in the United States and Canada after 1945 --- it grows fat and lazy. Its politicians use the strength of its currency to run deficits (as in the Sixties) which eventually result in inflation (as in the Seventies). We have yet to feel the full effect of this round of debasement of our currency.

It appeases its labor unions, rather than confronting them. Industrial staffing tends to create relatively soft positions for senior employees not interested in management, and "work rules" become more confining.

It tolerates oversimplification by special-interest groups such as the more strident environmentalists; concern over "parts per million" of possible contaminants s eventually expanded to "parts per billion", because the paychecks to bureaucrats have to be "justified".

But the lean, mean competition is still there, and when the fat has to be cut out; people who expected immediate advancement as "chiefs" have to learn how to be "braves".

The perpetual whiners face a hard choice, they can try to develop a skill that actually commands a good paycheck (no "intellectual finger-painters" need apply, they can find a blue-collar job with reasonable pay; (but it will likely either be physically demanding or not compatible with their imagined suburban idyll), or they can take what's left at the bottom of the heap.

The soft life of the 1950's is not coming back; our neighbors to the north realize this. Canada -- the democracy that works -- functions on a huge pool of immigrant labor. Most of them are clearly excluded from any advancement among professional paths, but their kids are not. That is how the dream of a better life has always functioned.

But any attempt to return to mercantilism -- to close our borders and limit the potential for success to those who were here first or are protected by Big Brother would set us on the path toward real war .. and as author Herman Wouk put it , "Either war is finished, or we are".

Old 11-11-2014, 09:19 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Don't believe what this administration announces, they always post cream of the crop numbers around election time. The person who posts these fluffed up numbers should be fired just like those people the IRS and AG should be all fired because there is abuse of power when they are ordered by the commander in chief to snuff out people that disagreed with his position.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:31 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,411,237 times
It's not easy to get just any job. Even minimum wage jobs. They get flooded with applications no matter how good the economy is.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:47 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
That's funny. I know a dozen people who have gotten jobs this year and none of them are low-wage, no benefits positions. I have been offered two of those myself which I declined. And yet, that seems to be "the only thing available." Weird!
That's your perspective.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:06 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,411,237 times
I consider myself to have hit a world record for the most application submissions to various area fast food establishments. I've been applying since mid 2010 or so. It's now 2014. Soon 2015. That's 4 years worth of repeated application submissions. The online application system lets you reapply every 90 days. That's what I've been doing and I still haven't heard from them. I can work all shifts and days but they STILL won't call me. They STILL aren't interested.

I put the blame on a horribly corrupt hiring process, and the fact that they get flooded with applications. This is why I haven't been successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies