Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 03:25 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times

Advertisements

It's amusing how much the republicans can manipulate people.into believing the economy is much worse than it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 03:49 PM

760 posts, read 768,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy
The cliché is getting very tiresome. Republicans have done more to lift people out of poverty than the Democrats, with all their rhetoric, have ever done
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Guess you forgot who was in charge during the CRASH of 1929,

American national politics during the 1920s were dominated by the Republican Party, which controlled the White House and Congress throughout the decade.

(Republican) Hoover confidently took office in March 1929, and in his inaugural address he proclaimed that "I have no fears for the future of our country. It is bright with hope." Seven months later, the stock market crashed and the worst depression in American history began. It would last for over ten years.
I guess you also forgot how the Democrats were behind Social Security, you know, the fund that enables workers and the poor to retire in their 60s and receive a monthly benefit check based on the payroll tax they and their employer both paid in every week.

On August 14, 1935 (Democrat) President Roosevelt signed the Social Security Act into law at a ceremony in the White House Cabinet Room.

Congressional Vote Totals By Party

House:

Democrats: YES: 284
Republicans: YES: 81

Senate:

Democrats: YES: 60
Republicans: YES: 16

What would these people have done without Social Security the Democrats voted in and signed?
Well, I often wonder about the 68 year old widow whose husband had built my house just before he suddenly died, and her 16 year old grand daughter who in the 30s were evicted after the bank and the court refused to grant her any more extensions of mortgage.
The sheriff came and put them out on the street and sold the house with the 38 acres of land for the $3,800 due at public auction.
It's anyones' guess what became of the widow and her grand daughter who were out on the street with no breadwinner, no pension, no Social Security and I'm betting no savings either.
Gee, I guess the Democrats did do more than the republicans to lift the needy out of poverty, for without Social Security- most people would find themselves out on the street or work until they drop dead as they used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies