Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2014, 04:27 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racional View Post
Why should we be forced to make our own?

Why should the government, through force of law, be able to get between a willing supplier and buyer of incandescent bulbs?
The purpose of government was never intended to interfere in the free market in this way.

This is the beginning of tyranny (but it has been going on for some time). There is no public good associated with the forcing off the market of the incandescent light bulb. It is not the result of any demand except from self styled, so-called "environmental scientists," and their manufactured "global warming" crisis, which is a complete hoax, perpetrated on society for the purpose of advancing their own agenda.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I don't know how many of these new expensive bulbs I've tossed in the last 3 years. I know I've spent hundreds of dollars on them and they just don't last. I learned quickly I can't even put them in some of my fixtures because they last only minutes. Even in the fixtures that should be able to take them they do not last. I'm lucky to get 9 months out of a CFL. The LED's last but the light is dim and a funny color.

I'm not seeing the improvement here.
Exactly.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'm rather resistant to shelling out $80 to perform an experiment to see if they put out enough light for the room. Seriously, where is the savings when the bulbs cost $20/bulb? I have not seen my electric bill drop a dime since switching over. I did most of the switches at the same time because I got the free energy saving kit from DTE and it came with lots of CFL's and my bills stayed the same. Obviously, lighting is not a big part of my electric bill. I'm guessing it's the blower on the furnace, the freezer, the refrigerator, and all the little blue lights around the house that stay lit 24 x 7 on all the appliances and cable boxes. If I wasn't so cash strapped, I'd look into putting a smaller blower on the furnace that I can run all the time because I run the furnace less if I keep the air circulating (in the winter the heat ends up on the 2nd floor and in the summer the basement gets too cold when the AC is on.).
I doubt very much that one incandescent bulb is going to cost $20 in electricity over it's life. Show me. Even if it did, that life has been shown to be much longer than the life of these "new technology" bulbs, which burn out very quickly.

I have also not seen any drop in my electric bill since these new bulbs have been on the market. That too is a hoax, it would seem.

Another problem I'm going to have is finding and incandescent bulb to burn to keep the water pump warm (to keep it from freezing) in the winter. There are many such uses for incandescent bulbs (anyone ever see how chickens are raised?).

Old 11-15-2014, 05:05 AM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Now that Republicans will control both houses, will they try to repeal the ban on certain incandescent bulbs? A moot point, perhaps, since Pres. Bush signed it into law seven years ago. And light bulb makers had already planned to discontinue them, aren't likely to produce them again. Even the Compact Fluorescents, which took their place, will be obsolete in a few years. Congress might try to legalize the old bulbs, but can't compel anyone to make them.
Nonetheless, I expect someone to introduce such a bill, in the name of freedom.
It was sponsored by a Repub. and got bipartisan votes.

Old 11-15-2014, 05:16 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,792,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Yep, our bill went down too with LED'S. Why would anyone want to pay more with the old bulbs.
I dont know. I was trying to research LED's for my own home, and 1) whoa baby they cost a lot and 2) how do I know which ones dont scream at your eyes?

local shop I patronize regularly installed some LED's and it hurt to walk into the place. Family business, and the sons work the night shift and they were complaining so much that Pop removed the lighting and went back to fluorescent.

I'm continuing my research, but ....

Old 11-15-2014, 05:19 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,792,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
It was sponsored by a Repub. and got bipartisan votes.
Of course they were not influenced by special interest groups with money in one hand and politically correct popular influence on the other. Not to mention a fair number of republicans are not free market conservatives, but go along get along people.

Who sponsored that bill? McCain?

Old 11-15-2014, 05:28 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Now that Republicans will control both houses, will they try to repeal the ban on certain incandescent bulbs? A moot point, perhaps, since Pres. Bush signed it into law seven years ago. And light bulb makers had already planned to discontinue them, aren't likely to produce them again. Even the Compact Fluorescents, which took their place, will be obsolete in a few years. Congress might try to legalize the old bulbs, but can't compel anyone to make them.
Nonetheless, I expect someone to introduce such a bill, in the name of freedom.
I stocked up on my old bulbs. I drop everything.

Old 11-15-2014, 05:34 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Of course they were not influenced by special interest groups with money in one hand and politically correct popular influence on the other. Not to mention a fair number of republicans are not free market conservatives, but go along get along people.

Who sponsored that bill? McCain?
Fred Upton co-sponsored that particular provision. But it was part of a much larger energy bill that had various subsidies, etc in it. This article is a decent review of what happened and how industry used the US government to corner the market in the light bulb industry - a $2 billion dollar industry.

Industry, not environmentalists, killed incandescent bulbs | WashingtonExaminer.com

Old 11-15-2014, 09:43 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
I see the incandescent crowd was in full force while I slept. Regardless, you guys should have been up in arms about this in 2007 trying to stop it, in 2014 it is too late, but still funny.

Who knew so many people on here were so attached to obsolete technology like incandescent bulbs.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:08 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
I am amazed at the interest in the subject. Personally I think the legislation was superfluous as they were becoming obsolete anyway due to new alternatives. But this was a Congress that spent much of its legislative effort renaming Post Offices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies