Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 01:34 AM

943 posts, read 782,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Snows in Denmark. Next.
It snows in Philadelphia, Boston, Buffalo, and New York City. What is your point??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 01:43 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,650,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
While I appreciate your newcomers infatuation with your new surroundings, let us know what your think once your get out see the rest of Europe. It's a big place, and much of it is remarkably different from an upscale neighborhood in Brussels. I will admit that Belgians are some of the most polite people in the world, especially if they find out you're an American. There is a reason for this. They have longer memories than we do and still genuinely appreciate the sacrifices made by Americans in WWII. If you visit Bastogne, and they discover you are affiliated with the US military, it is nearly impossible to spend your own money in any of the cafes, restaurants, bistros, bars, or other venues.

If you are a liberal with a decidedly left bent in your politics, Europe would appear to be a Utopia on the surface. Some issues with your facts. 1. Dense neighborhoods and public transit are a product of necessity. Most of western Europe is much more densely populated than the US, even in major US cities. If you travel to the UK, Ireland, Germany, The Netherlands, France, etc., you will see the same thing. They simply have many more people per square mile than we do in the US, thus the dense neighborhoods and public transit. 2. The social democracies that comprise much of western Europe present the appearance of well paid workers, and little poverty, but it's a facade. Get out and about, the poverty is out there. The tax burdens are massive. Additionally, the social programs from pensions, paid leave, and health care are simply fiscally unsustainable. The NHS in the UK recently announced that without substantial funding increases, they may need to seriously consider at least partial privatization. Greece and other countries experienced riots not too long ago when they introduced austerity measures to attempt to correct the fiscal problems.

I honestly hope that you enjoy your time in Europe, and experience all that the many countries have to offer. Maybe get out and about a bit before making such a one sided proclamation designed solely to illicit emotional responses.
This is a well written and thoughtful post. My one-sided proclamation was meant as balance to those who assume there US has the best of everything and is always first in every category. That's an arrogant assumption, particularly from people who have never left the country.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
I lived in Europe for 14 years and while I enjoyed it, it is not superior. Europeans tend to be small minded and mean spirited, and very, very class conscious. They are also, for the most part, a dependent society, they expect the government to do things for them. If you fall into those patterns which I suspect you do, then I'm sure it's paradise for you but don't be arrogant enough to assume that your superficial opinion carries much weight.
You dismiss 500 million people as small minded and mean spirited, and I am arrogant? I have found some Europeans to be small minded and mean spirited and some of them to be patient, kind and helpful. If you've lived here for 14 years you probably know better than I do manners go much further here. My first few weeks people were kind of snippy towards me, and I wondered why. Then I observed how they interact with each other and noticed they spend more time on pleasantries and niceties than typical Americans do. (I'm not saying that's better... it's just a cultural difference.) Once I adjusted and started taking more time with well wishes, I stated receiving markedly better treatment.

And yes, they, like Americans, expect government to do things for them. That's why they pay taxes. Of course they expect to get their money's worth.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I cannot think of one single thing that they do better then the US does. Nothing. Without the US one of the blood thirsty Muslim countries or Russia would overrun the whole lot of them.
Well friend, you were the person this thread was written for. You should have an extended visit in Europe. I'm sure you'll find plenty of things you like better about home, but you might be surprised at how much you enjoy some of the things you see and do over here.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:53 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,844,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
It snows in Philadelphia, Boston, Buffalo, and New York City. What is your point??
I wrote what the point was for the younger generation in a later post.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:58 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
But I just heard in FOX 'news' that US economy is terrible, and everything else is terrible too, and getting worse.
They are, for the party trying to gain control of seats they don't currently fill.

In reality?

Not so much.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:02 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,123,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm an American who recently moved to Brussels. The quality of life here is so much better. Nice, dense neighborhoods, good public transit, very little signs of poverty, well paid workers, polite manners, sensible laws about guns, much lower rate of violent crime - the list goes on. If only America wasn't infested with ignorant republican yahoos, it too could enjoy the full benefits of being a western democracy. It's such a shame the non Yankee element keeps America from reaching it's potential.
Millions of Americans are glad you are gone. Enjoy your glorious new life.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:12 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
Anecdotal evidence irrelevant. We are talking about nation wide statistics. The US has a higher violent crime rate. Not everyone can move to Kennesaw, Georgia. There are 300 million Americans and most will have to be subject to a relatively high murder and assault rate in their city/town. And I am not talking about ghetto neighborhoods or high minority/black neighborhoods that people can avoid.
You actually are talking about ghetto neighborhoods. Remove the inner city gang bangers and drug dealers from the statistics and the US is about like Denmark when it comes to violence.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:32 AM

922 posts, read 807,303 times
Statistically Scandanavian countries are better.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:54 AM

30,384 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
Statistically Scandanavian countries are better.
Some things yes, some things no. Are they better at income? No, all of the Scandinavian countries are at least 35% below the USA after factiring income and cost of living. Even with a huge oil incomed economy for a small populationn Norway, Norway manages to be 45% more expensive overall that the USA while only mantaining a 6% edge in income...and even that is taxed at a rate more than 3X times the USA rate.

Are they better at lowering the tax burden on their citizens? No, all of them have taxes that are at least 3 times more as a % than what we pay in the USA.

They have made their choices differently but not necssarily better. If you think it's better, emigrate there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies