Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 12:04 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Still snows in Denmark and any of the Northern European countries. When you are old you do not want cold you want warmth. That is your quality of life metric.

when i want more warmth, I put another log into the fireplace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 12:06 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm an American who recently moved to Brussels. The quality of life here is so much better. Nice, dense neighborhoods, good public transit, very little signs of poverty, well paid workers, polite manners, sensible laws about guns, much lower rate of violent crime - the list goes on. If only America wasn't infested with ignorant republican yahoos, it too could enjoy the full benefits of being a western democracy. It's such a shame the non Yankee element keeps America from reaching it's potential.
"Nice, dense neighborhoods..."

see, i have no interest in such a thing. makes me shiver to think of having to live like that.

thats where you started your post.... so i didnt need to read beyond that to know this is NOT some objective measure so much as proof of your own bias.

Now if you had said Europe was better because they have more bakeries that make way better bread, you might have had me... but thats my bias working again...

I am a republican yahoo... too educmacated and too well traveled to be ignorant... but a republican yahoo none the less.... I like America. I like where I live because its not like Europe. I like the American version of freedom as opposed to the progressive claptrap you seem to be supportive of...

PS I have a bit of advice for you. since you live in Brussels, dont paint a cartoon of Moohammad and expect to live.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
Anecdotal evidence irrelevant. We are talking about nation wide statistics. The US has a higher violent crime rate. Not everyone can move to Kennesaw, Georgia. There are 300 million Americans and most will have to be subject to a relatively high murder and assault rate in their city/town. And I am not talking about ghetto neighborhoods or high minority/black neighborhoods that people can avoid.

then the answer to your violent crime rate is to legislate that people are responsible for their own safety and make it so every law abiding citizen has to have firearms and ammo on hand in the home to combat violent crime.

ask the criminals who they fear the most. they fear the armed citizen, not the police.

an armed society is a polite society.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:20 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,819,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
an armed society is a polite society.
Not too polite. They can't seem to break the habit of shooting themselves and others.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:28 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
Weather in Europe is milder in general than the US, unless you talk about Southern California. Look at how far north Oslo Norway is, and look at their weather forecast. It's warmer than New York in the winter, which is at the same latitude as Florence Italy, and compare the weather there. It's going to be 66 degrees in Florence this week, and they don't get the 90+ humidity nonsense we get here in the summer.

On the other hand, the Italian economy is a mess and the graffiti is awful.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:43 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,048,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I've lived and worked in Europe and I hated it and I never ever want to go back. I'm glad the OP is happy there. My generalization is that Europeans are rude and arrogant and by the OP's comments, he probably fits in quite well. I'm currently working in Peru and love it a million times better than anywhere in Europe...I was offered $250K/yr to go back to Europe and passed....ya'll can keep it. Just make sure you keep making the Beemers I like , that's pretty much all I want from Europe...well maybe some of the French cheeses. I even find the Chilean wines to be superior to the overpriced French wines.
dude.... just work for 2 years and retire for the rest of your life!

Old 03-06-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Not too polite. They can't seem to break the habit of shooting themselves and others.

criminals and police. that is it for the most part, plus some self defense as well. start keeping the criminals in prison for their whole sentence, instead of letting them out for good behavior and maybe that number will change.

also stop putting people in prison for victimless crimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies