Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2014, 09:35 AM

657 posts, read 802,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
You are right about that, US test scores are not weak at all when you break it down by race.

The reason US score slightly poorly, (Sweden, Austria, Spain, etc. is worse) is because blacks and hispanics are pulling down the scores.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_4ify7vDXrD...US_by_race.jpg

The immigrants to Europe is also doing worse, but they have fewer of them.
http://akarlin.com/wp-content/upload...s-migrants.jpg

So, US scores are still weak. Why does it matter if hispanics and blacks are pulling down the score, they're Americans too. In fact, they are 40% of the population. That doesn't reflect good on the USA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 09:36 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm an American who recently moved to Brussels. The quality of life here is so much better. Nice, dense neighborhoods, good public transit, very little signs of poverty, well paid workers, polite manners, sensible laws about guns, much lower rate of violent crime - the list goes on. If only America wasn't infested with ignorant republican yahoos, it too could enjoy the full benefits of being a western democracy. It's such a shame the non Yankee element keeps America from reaching it's potential.
"Beauty, is in the eye of the beholder".

Old 11-16-2014, 09:37 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony....
Knock yerself out.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:41 AM

657 posts, read 802,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I guess if you like white people Europe is superior. I prefer diversity even though Hispanics and blacks drive the economic numbers down. Money is not everything.
I'm really tired of this ignorance. There is tons of diversity in Europe, London for example had many different ethnic groups. Europe being just white people is a myth.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:52 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
I'm really tired of this ignorance. There is tons of diversity in Europe, London for example had many different ethnic groups. Europe being just white people is a myth.
I agree- that is what makes London now such a crap hole, as it is flooded with Arabs. Take a look at Edinborough vs London.

I have been to Europe many, many times. Are you actually trying to tell me that Denmark, Norway, Sweden, norther Germany and Holland are "diverse" nations? If so, you have not been there. Similarly, France (outside of Paris) has little, if any "diversity". The areas of Paris that are heavily populated by Muslim immigrants are crap holes. The Danes and Norwegians have taken steps against muslim immigration, given the surge in criminal activity among that group in those nations.

Take a little tour of the UK. Are you telling me that Scotland and Ireland are "diverse"? If so, I wonder where they are all hiding, as I have not seen it (we go to Scotland and Ireland all the time. I was actually married north of Dundee in Scotland).

Try gaining citizenship to Denmark, Norway, or Sweden (vs just crossing the border from Mexico).

Old 11-16-2014, 09:56 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Ummmm................................ take a look around. Did you notice that Belgium lacks "diversity" (a gift of liberalism)?

1. Lack of diversity-What you are seeing is northern european culture in action, in which hard work, education, and cultural cohesiveness is the norm. This is what we have in the northern american midwest- it is cultural.

Take the population of Detroit and plop them in Belgium and soon Belgium will look like Detroit.

2. Poor trade agreements- Europe also does not have NAFTA and China most favored nation trade status ("gifts" of liberalism and the Clinton administration)

3. Lack of military spending- Europe relies upon the US to essentially foot the bill for their protection.

4. Enforcement of immigration laws- Northern European nations actually enforce immigration laws. I wonder how they would do with 35 million uneducated mexicans dumped in their nation?

Hey - if you are a liberal (which you are) don't bring your American leftist ideas to northern europe, as you will destroy those nations as well.
The African slave trade was established by liberals? You learn something new everyday.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:03 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post

As far as guns making you feel secure, it has led to a very violent society where thousands are shot to death yearly, and to think you and your buddies can grab a twelve pack of Milwaukee's Best and defend yourself from the U.S. government is a fantasy that is spun by the NRA and gun fetishists everywhere.
Guns protect individuals.

Gun control protects Government.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:12 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I've always believed European society to be superior, and it is in about every conceivable way. From violent crime to paid holidays and working conditions to the way people view minorities and the intelligence of the average citizen there, it's exactly wharf Republicans fight against here. There are definitely some things better in this country, but the general attitude about what constitutes the framework for living and working conditions is better in Europe that "bootstrap" America, where millions are only one illness or accident away from bankruptcy.

Remember, Republicans work for corporations, and corporations are not people, regardless of what Mitt Romney said in 2012 when he represented the Republican Party for President of the United States.
Preach it brother!

Things are much better in France due to President Francois Hollande’s fight to curb the corporate power structure for the benefit of the peoples masses.

An ‘atomic bomb’ is hovering over France’s economy
By Anatole Kaletsky
October 10, 2014

The good news is the Unemployment Rate in France increased 10.20 percent in the second quarter of 2014 from 10.10 percent in the first quarter of 2014!

And then there is Spain where in the third quarter of 2014, Spanish jobless rate edged down to 23.67 percent from 24.47 percent in the previous period!

And there is Italy where the seasonally adjusted jobless rate increased to 12.6 percent in September of 2014 from an upwardly revised 12.5 percent in August!

Of course there are some bright spots like Germany with a rate of around 5% but they're sort of red neck not unlike Texas and who wants to live in a place like Texas?

Old 11-16-2014, 10:15 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
We are usually compared economically with the Scandanavian nations and Germany, cherry picked white nations. Liberals favor open immigration here but fantasize living in nations where everyone is white. A strange lot.

Not a racist, myself. May retire in Cebu.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:01 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
I don't think the neighborhood I live in is representative of all of Europe. I freely admit I'm still pretty ignorant about Europe.
And a great many other things.

Quote:
I'm an American who recently moved to Brussels. The quality of life here is so much better. Nice, dense neighborhoods, good public transit, very little signs of poverty, well paid workers, polite manners, sensible laws about guns, much lower rate of violent crime - the list goes on. If only America wasn't infested with ignorant republican yahoos, it too could enjoy the full benefits of being a western democracy. It's such a shame the non Yankee element keeps America from reaching it's potential.

Belgium. All 11 Million people. Wow, that's what, 30 times smaller than the US?

How many carrier battle groups are plying the 7 Seas to protect Belgium's currency?

How many amphibious assault groups are cruising across the 7 Seas to protect Belgium's currency?

Don't you just love how Belgium is neatly packaged as two nations within a State?

When you learn the difference between a homogenous nation and a heterogeneous non-nation, perhaps you can discuss these issues intelligently with the restivus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Really, you live in an upper class neighborhood in Brussels and think that is equivilant to the rest of Europe.
Indeed.

How dumb is that?

Maybe the US should become a monarchy...

Mircea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies