Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2014, 06:50 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,842,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
We are usually compared economically with the Scandanavian nations and Germany, cherry picked white nations. Liberals favor open immigration here but fantasize living in nations where everyone is white. A strange lot.

Not a racist, myself. May retire in Cebu.
Why Cebu and not Central America? Plenty of North American expat enclaves from Honduras to Panama now. Much closer to home when you need first class medical care.

Last edited by Felix C; 11-17-2014 at 07:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 08:57 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
This reminds me of an aquaintance I made online. A nice enough guy named Marcin. One day while waiting for some compiling stuff to finish, our chat got to "life". He lived in Norway. He didn't have a job. He had welfare. He was paid to stay home with his pregnant girlfriend.

Eventually, after much discussion, he said he could not imagine having to be responsible for his own well-being. The idea that if he didn't earn a living, he'd lose his home and all his "stuff" he said would have been so stressful and panic-inducing he'd not even be able to think to work.

I kinda liked him before then.

After that, I could not get past him being a wimp of the highest order. Afraid of being on his own. A child, at nearly 30.

No wonder Europe is dying.
I am not sure Marcin is a Norwegian name, actually I think it isn't. He probably is an immigrant who has trouble finding a job because of language or qualification issues. Migrants often make the mistake to think they move to a popular place such as Scandinavia and get a job just like that. Often their degrees and diplomas are not even accepted.

Nor is Norway typical of Europe. In most of Europe unemployed people get less hand-outs than in the US. Unemployment benefits run out pretty fast. Same goes for general assistance. We don't even have food stamps here.

Anyway, regarding the topic, I think Europe is neither superior nor inferior, just different. Depending on which priorities you have you will like either one better.

Since I like density and flair as well as dislike cars and business, I am quite happy in Europe, even in this poor little country where I live. We don't have that much money, but what we do have is priceless.

Europe is the cradle of Western civilization, and one can still feel that. Someone said it is dying, well, that is utter nonsense. It is evolving and changing, like it has been doing for thousands of years.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:06 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,960,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm an American who recently moved to Brussels. The quality of life here is so much better. Nice, dense neighborhoods, good public transit, very little signs of poverty, well paid workers, polite manners, sensible laws about guns, much lower rate of violent crime - the list goes on. If only America wasn't infested with ignorant republican yahoos, it too could enjoy the full benefits of being a western democracy. It's such a shame the non Yankee element keeps America from reaching it's potential.
In all fairness, Brussels is one of the dirtiest, traffic clogged, and least interesting European capitals. If I had to live in Belgium I'd pick Antwerp or Ghent over Brussels any day of the week.

Anyway, There is a lot of poverty in Europe. There are dilapidated neighborhoods and poor housing projects a plenty in Brussels and other European cities, especially in France, UK and Italy. They just have the social services that prevents many of these poor from turning to crime, and greater social mobility for those who try to get out of it.

Last edited by Mr. Mon; 11-17-2014 at 10:05 AM..

Old 11-17-2014, 10:01 AM

19,848 posts, read 12,110,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; there are 6 anglo white people to every "Hispanic" or Black person. So the 4 to 1 thing is still LESS white people out of 100 using those benefits. Too; us whites are usually older out of 100 and many employers WON'T hire people much above 55 or so.
When someone spews that "but more whites use benefits" they just show their ignorance and agenda. Sheer stupidity.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:18 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,649,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
In all fairness, Brussels is one of the dirtiest, traffic clogged, and least interesting European capitals. If I had to live in Belgium I'd pick Antwerp or Ghent over Brussels any day of the week.

Anyway, There is a lot of poverty in Europe. There are dilapidated neighborhoods and poor housing projects a plenty in Brussels and other European cities, especially in France, UK and Italy. They just have the social services that prevents many of these poor from turning to crime, and greater social mobility for those who try to get out of it.
If Brussels is one the shoddier European cities, and I've heard it is, then Europe is definitely leaps and bounds beyond the US. This city is better than all but a handful of those in the US.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:29 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,960,577 times
Quote:
If Brussels is one the shoddier European cities, and I've heard it is, then Europe is definitely leaps and bounds beyond the US. This city is better than all but a handful of those in the US.
Urban life for your average Joe, Jose, or Jacque is better in most European cities than in the US. They unquestionably put more emphasis on quality of life issues and tend to subsidize sprawl a little less than we do in the US. That said I would never say that a European country is "better" than the US. Each country has it's own quirks, and once you leave the historic centers most European cities are characterless and UGLY. You just don't always need a car to experience it firsthand.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:31 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,649,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Its okay we are fine, no need to worry about us... considering you live across the ocean now..

Very easy to find good coffee, bread and beer...

On Urban planning - most people don't care about walkable and bikable communities.... considring they choose to buy single family homes in sprawled out suburbs... (not that its a bad thing, i don't worry or care about other peoples choices).
My hunch is that people buy homes in sprawled out suburbs because that's what's available. If there we're walkable communities with good houses, good public transportation, low crime and high performing public schools in the US they'd be extremely popular with buyers.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:48 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
I'm an American who recently moved to Brussels. The quality of life here is so much better. Nice, dense neighborhoods, good public transit, very little signs of poverty, well paid workers, polite manners, sensible laws about guns, much lower rate of violent crime - the list goes on. If only America wasn't infested with ignorant republican yahoos, it too could enjoy the full benefits of being a western democracy. It's such a shame the non Yankee element keeps America from reaching it's potential.
Yes, because comparing a nation of 11 million to a nation of 315 million always gives one an accurate measure of superiority.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:32 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Glad you moved. Hope you enjoy dense neighborhoods. Most of us choose the opposite. If the future of America looked like Brussels I think I would cut my wrists.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:34 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
My hunch is that people buy homes in sprawled out suburbs because that's what's available. If there we're walkable communities with good houses, good public transportation, low crime and high performing public schools in the US they'd be extremely popular with buyers.
Millions of us buy homes in the suburbs because we like them. We like our space and don't like high crime dense neighborhoods.

Suburban homes are available because most people like them. Suburbs are market driven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies