Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2014, 10:36 AM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Dumbest post of the thread, so far. Congratulations.

"You can tell the difference", "shoot the legs or arms", comedy gold right there.

The sad thing is the poster probably believes what they wrote and are not alone in their clouded thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 10:39 AM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Why does it matter that he's black?
It doesn't, or maybe I should say, it shouldn't.

He was a kid who played a stupid game and won a stupid prize. It's sad for him, his family and the poor cop.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:50 AM

46,299 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
This cop needs to be tried for murder...I don't care, he was unarmed...it was a toy...you can tell the difference.

Furthermore...cops need to be trained to shoot the legs or arms...not in the chest...that chest is an automatic kill shot.

Tired of cops being the judge jury and executioner. I have no respect for them anymore...the next time you see a cop actually help a kid like this will be the first.
Nope....not a chance....

Old 11-24-2014, 11:23 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
When the cop says freeze and drop the gun, if you point the gun, (fake or not) in the cops direction, you are likely to get killed. Sometimes bad decisions can be hazardous to your health.

A single bullet can take a life coming from a gun being held by a 12 year old or an 82 year old. That's why the number one rule of firearms is never point it at something you aren't prepared to shoot.
All very true but if a cop said that to me at 12 I'd be nervous. The situation is sad and will be made sadder when the usual suspects appear.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:27 AM

779 posts, read 632,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I agree to some extent, but part of the problem might be that the parents aren't recognizing what kids do that can get them into a spot, parents have to be one step ahead. Imagine how the cop feels.
I imagine that he feels terrible. That's why I said prank gone horribly wrong (or something to that extent).

I don't know if as a parent I would be able to think of all of the scenarios that could lead to my child interacting with cops so that I could be one step ahead. I do know that I'm not buying them or allowing them to have fake realistic guns. Period. They can have something but if it's not day-glo orange and looking like a Nick Jr. character would use it then it's not coming in my house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I was. I was about the same age when I was playing in the park with a friend. He pulled out a chrome 1911 BB gun (that was broken) from his backpack to show me, because.....well, it was cool. So we're sitting on the bleachers pointing it, thinking we were so cool. But then we start noticing cruisers surrounding the park. As the officers approached, hands on holstered guns, we dropped it right away. They continued to approach, commanding us not to move, and we didn't.

They took the gun, told us what a stupid thing it was to have such a realistic weapon in public, and then went away.
Good for you. I'm glad that you knew and didn't end up like this kid. It's too bad that not all little ones are wired in the same way to know what to do.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
These guns don't look fake other than the orange tip that was apparently removed and unless you were able to closely examine it in your hands you wouldn't know the difference. I'll also note you can just as easily put an orange tip on a real gun.
I was wondering the same thing. Couldn't they just put a plastic tip on a real gun and pretend that it is fake?

Old 11-24-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
No mention that more than one caller among many said the gun was 'probably fake' after reading two different articles.

Ever hear the multitude of filler news stories of bizarre 911 calls. All the way from not getting cheese on their hamburger to problems with their drug seller? So some random person calls 911 and says the gun is fake and of all the calls made you are to believe this one?. Before you say it should have been a consideration, you are right. The cops would have expected that anyone in their right mind would respond submissively since they knew their gun was fake and the cops 'probably' had real guns. So the kid did not act according to expectation at a time when pondering and guessing on the part of the police had expired and action was required.

Consider also the information that it was on a playground. Kids play on a playground. Get a call about a gangster waving a gun at 'children' and as a cop you want to protect the children in light of school shootings. You have jets on your heels to get there and resolve the situation. How many kids have been killed by stray bullets fired by gangs at rivals? No sane human, as evidenced by numerous 911 calls and the quick response by the cops wanted to see the 'children' hurt. The paper is taking advantage of Furgeson hysteria to fan the flames and get a endless flurry of articles to sell papers for the next 6 months. Who knows maybe rev Al would show up with msnbc cameras, shake their hand and get some reporter wide exposure and maybe the break they were waiting for to get out of Cleveland?.
That speculation fits in nicely with the slant the article created about the shooting.

Cops scream and curse at you to shock you into momentary imobilization, even if just for a moment, in order to gain an advantage when they feel they are in a dangerous situation. That should be clue # 1 the cops feel they are in a critical situation.

If the caller thought it was fake, why call the police?
Mentioning he was a 'juvenile' differentiates the 'shooter' some old guy or woman. Average gang member is 15. A mere child holding an 'equilizer'. Lot of gangs and gang members. Gangs use underage 'children' as shooters to avoid long sentences in prison.

Adding this 911 call makes the situation more inflamatory without more perspective given about the shooting. Of course it ties in nicely with the headline. This is in the best new journalistic tradition of nbc editng a 911 call to make GZ sound 'racist'. The bit about the playground also added to the biased article. Subtle but effective. There are many ways to provide the same information without the bias; this wasn't one of them.

"In a 911 call released by the police, a man said that “a guy” who appeared to be a juvenile was pointing a pistol at people and scaring them. The caller said twice that the gun was “probably fake.”"

Sad story from more perspectives than anyone can imagine.
Did someone say that more than one person pointed out that the gun was a fake or were you saying that you missed a story where a caller made that statement? If it is the latter, here are two 12-year-old dies in Cleveland police shooting - CNN.com
Police Shoot Dead 12-Year-Old Holding Fake Gun

How would that be a clue? Not everyone is well versed as to the motivation of cops. When it happened to me it just made me think "What the F is their problem?" and it made me angry. I hear that happens with people. Your fight or flight kicks in and you think fight. You don't actually fight but it doesn't scare you into submission. It scares some into defensive mode.

I guess it could be building on the hysteria of Ferguson or it could be building on what goes wrong when cops shoot someone who turns out to be more or less innocent and those incidents precede Ferguson.

I assume that they called because no one wants people being scared out of their minds by someone waving a fake gun.

As for the rest I assume that the rest is a general airing of how you feel and not directed at me as I completely get how this could have done down. I get that they are trained to see everyone as a potential criminal and that some incidents come down to kill or be killed based on very little information other than past experiences. I think that my post pretty much stated that and wasn't some hysterical rant against cops or anything.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:09 PM

998 posts, read 665,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Why does it matter that he's black?
Because liberals and the mainstream media hold blacks to a lower standard than whites or other races. As a result, when dealing with black criminals, the police are apparently supposed to do a close, thorough inspection of the criminal's firearm before taking any type of action, because blacks (in a liberal's mind) are unable to obey basic commands such as "put your hands up" or "drop the weapon".

Old 11-24-2014, 12:19 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,026,497 times
The toy gun in question. Looks damn real to me. In an area where teens are frequently busted for possessing or even committing crimes with real firearms, I'm not surprised in the least that the police shot when he reached for it after being told to put his hands up.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:20 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
This time it was a 12 year old in Cleveland.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/11/24...html?referrer=

The police who shot him were black themselves.........

Racist cops!@
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies