Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 10:31 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,249,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Civilians may only use lethal force in defense of your life, or the life of someone else. Defense of property is not a valid excuse.

However, if a store owner "stands his ground" in his store when rioters break in, then lethal force might be legally allowed.
Not true in Texas......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 10:37 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,267,151 times
Show the idiots that you can shoot them...

Video From Ferguson Shows Protestors Leaving Business Alone Where Owner Was Open Carrying

Old 11-25-2014, 11:22 PM

731 posts, read 1,580,594 times
To Loveshiscountry, you are probably right about the first shot. I guess I don't understand the Uniform
Sentencing Act. They all were convicted of First Degree Murder, but the teen who didn't get shot in the attempted robbery was given only six months in a juvenile facility. I thought he should have been tried as an adult and given a sentence like the others. The two men who weren't even present got life w/o parole.
Sometimes it just depends on a jury and I know sometimes they are not peers.

cheers

Old 11-26-2014, 12:27 AM

2,967 posts, read 3,535,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I really don't understand, if it was any other time and somebody violently robs you, you have the right to use lethal force to protect yourself. Why aren't we seeing store owners fighting back like we saw in the LA riots?
I think it depends what state you're in.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:58 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,139,388 times
Quote:
It's quite ridiculous this kind of lawlessness is allowed. I hope all the store owners get enough insurance payments to move out of town and leave Ferguson with nowhere to buy supplies or groceries. That's more than what those looters deserve. Unfortunately, most people in Ferguson are good people, but I don't know... it's just a bad situation all around. The police and national guard should do more, but then who knows how many more animals will come out and riot across the country.
If business owners move out and there is still demand, another business will move into the fold and provide the needed services... The laws of supply and demand in action... That said, we wouldn't have this issue of looting if white supremacy wasn't ingrained in the American legal system... When there is a perversion of the law, people are going to lash out... Period!!!

Old 11-26-2014, 03:47 AM

6,395 posts, read 6,286,279 times
Quote:
I really don't understand, if it was any other time and somebody violently robs you, you have the right to use lethal force to protect yourself. Why aren't we seeing store owners fighting back like we saw in the LA riots?
Because they weren't physically hurting the shop owners.

People are more important than things.

Old 11-26-2014, 04:07 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,327,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Your so right. What is one owner suppose to do against a pack of wild untamed animals!
Mob violence is nothing to mess with, and you are right; they are like wild animals, and not much smarter.

This whole incident, from the time of Browns shooting to the announcement of "no indictment" of Wilson, has shown the level of intelligence of the average black, unfortunately.

My wife had a good idea. Everyone who has been identified as a participant in these riots, the breaking and entering, and the looting of stores and destruction of property, should have their welfare benefits terminated; theirs and their families, because these kids or young adults learned this behavior from their parents.

Old 11-26-2014, 04:34 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
The store owners are probably looking to cash out via insurance when their business is destroyed and setup shop in a more peaceful area.
Probably a good idea. You'd have to kill a lot of people to protect a store in a situation like that, and it would result in a legal battle and probably a great moral burden/regret.

Old 11-26-2014, 04:41 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,353,458 times
Quote:
That was my question and the purpose of this thread. Are business owners in Missouri allowed to use lethal force to protect their businesses and themselves? I'm asking because I'm surprised we haven't seen any news about store owners attempting to defend their property/lives as we saw during the LA riots. I guess it is still early, if these violent riots last longer, we might see something along those lines because I'm sure most of these business owners aren't millionaires, probably barely making median income.
Have you ever heard of this web site? Google

I was able to find the answer to your question in under a minute. These interwebs are miraculous I tell ya!

Old 11-26-2014, 07:04 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,643,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Civilians may only use lethal force in defense of your life, or the life of someone else. Defense of property is not a valid excuse.

However, if a store owner "stands his ground" in his store when rioters break in, then lethal force might be legally allowed.
That's not the law in Texas. Thank goodness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies