Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2014, 05:16 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Yet... give them time, you may be next.

I haven't had a problem but it can happen at any moment if a cop feels froggy. A cop just stopped a kid in Michigan for walking with his hands in his pocket. Its freezing cold in Michigan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
You don't necessarily have to be a criminal to be a victim of police brutality Charles Barkley!
I doubt it. Like I said, outside of traffic violations, I never had problems with the cops. I don't ride around with drugs in my car, I don't ride around with a bunch of dudes in my car, I don't go around committing crimes, and I don't hang around criminals or people who sit around and do nothing all day. So cops have no reason to come talk to me about anything. And when I do get pulled over I don't try and start a confrontation with them. Cops don't **** with me, and stay out of there way. I just take my ticket and go on my way. Go to court, plead no contest, get a trial date. Usually the cop doesn't show up, and the ticket gets dismissed. And that's worked for me for my 35 years on this planet.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:18 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Asking DA's to prosecute cops has not worked very well over the years, prosecuting those that you work with on a daily basis to catch felons is far from ideal. I don't think this was racial, DA's almost never prosecute cops and judges are also prone to light sentencing.
Da's have stepped back on these cases and let grand jury's decide.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:19 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
What racial tensions.... Black men are more likely to die at the hands of police than any other group. We have had two high profile killings of black men in the last 3 months along with several others this year.

As for why the police arrested Garner it is because he was selling loosies which are untaxed cigarettes and are illegal and are a huge problem for New York city which is loosing millions in tax dollars each year.
No actually as a Black male you're more likely to get your head blown off by another Black Male, than you are a white person or the police.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:20 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,288,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Will New York burn?
No, it will not burn. However, the decision is absolutely appalling. Therefore if there is a violent protest, I would not be surprised in the least.

Very sad.

S.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:23 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Medical Examiner Rules Eric Garner's Death a Homicide, Says He Was Killed By Chokehold | NBC New York

The city medical examiner has ruled the death of Eric Garner, the 43-year-old father whose death in police custody sparked national outrage, a homicide, saying a chokehold killed him.
The medical examiner said compression of the neck and chest, along with Garner's positioning on the ground while being restrained by police during the July 17 stop on Staten Island, caused his death.
Seems like he should have died on the spot instead of later.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:28 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,229,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Someone explained this point earlier and I'll try to do the same. If someone beat up an 80 year old man and his heart failed on the way to the hospital, wouldn't you say that person killed the old man? At the very least, he contributed to his death. A manslaughter charge would be coming in all likelihood.

Likewise, it's obvious that he died as a result of the cop's actions, and he should certainly be charged with manslaughter.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:28 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Here's 7min of him, handcuffed and non responsive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT66U_Ftdng

Old 12-03-2014, 05:29 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Was it the chokehold that killed him or did the fact he was fat and out-of-shape play into the equation?

Old 12-03-2014, 05:32 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
rioting and protesting unless peacefully is never the way to make a point.
It worked in 1773.

Quote:
Was this decision right? I don't know: I do know he was resisting arrest, still the action seems awfully strong and no, I am not one that automatically think all cops are good guys and gals. Most yes, all no. But when you say you support rioting I have to disagree 100%. I do understand the people being upset; as much as I thought Ferguson decision was right, I understand how some felt about that, but rioting is never and I repeat never right, nor does it prove anything. If they riot lord only knows how many more of these episodes we are going to see.
If the illegal actions of a police officer causes the death of someone and he is not found guilty of those actions the people no longer have a valid option for justice.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:33 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Was it the chokehold that killed him or did the fact he was fat and out-of-shape play into the equation?
Is that like saying, the gun didn't kill him but the internal bleeding did? Blame it on the weakness of the biological body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies