Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 11:44 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,286,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
man-made is not real....
Please posts the papers that identify the natural forcing agent. Support your claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 11:45 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,793,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Why do you persist in putting words in my mouth?

Meanwhile in Australia.... http://resources0.news.com.au/images...3-heatwave.jpg
I said "your side". Why do you put words in MY mouth?

Old 12-09-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I find that doubtful. CA's natural state is a desert. They had to import the water to have their lawns lush and green.
Los Angeles has stolen waters from the Owens Valley, , Mono Lake, the Colorado River, and Nor Cal to satisfy their lust for water in their desert. The north has plenty of water.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
No. We don't.
Talk about the revision of history....

Old 12-09-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I wonder what would happen on an "Earth Like" planet if someone decided to dump several hundred billion tons of sequestered carbon into the atmosphere over a couple of hundred years? Fortunately we an observe the results of a similar experiment right here on Earth.
Interesting experiment. Hello, Mars!

Old 12-09-2014, 12:28 PM

29,542 posts, read 19,632,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Please posts the papers that identify the natural forcing agent. Support your claim.

Are you saying that positive and negative oceanic oscillation cycles have no influence on global temps?

Well I don't know of any paper suggesting that 100% of the observed 20th century warming is man made.

This paper published in 2013 says about 50% Sounds reasonable to me.

The role of ENSO in global ocean temperature changes during 1955

Article about the paper:

Quote:
Major new climate change research that up to half the global warming seen in the 20th century is due to nature, and that the atmosphere may be only half as sensitive to an increase in carbon dioxide than has previously been assumed
Paper Suggests Half Of Global Warming Is Natural

Old 12-09-2014, 12:37 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Are you saying that positive and negative oceanic oscillation cycles have no influence on global temps?

Well I don't know of any paper suggesting that 100% of the observed 20th century warming is man made.

This paper published in 2013 says about 50% Sounds reasonable to me.

The role of ENSO in global ocean temperature changes during 1955

Article about the paper:

Paper Suggests Half Of Global Warming Is Natural
So now you are saying the same thing science has been saying all along....50% of warming is caused by human activities...Glad we finally agree.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:58 PM

29,542 posts, read 19,632,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
So now you are saying the same thing science has been saying all along....50% of warming is caused by human activities...Glad we finally agree.
I've ALWAYS said that man has played a role in the current warming. To what extent is not known. We may never know.....

What I am skeptical of is first the climate models which give ridiculous projections in coming decades, and second, trying attribute every natural weather events in having a human fingerprint.

My case here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/37573360-post94.html

Old 12-09-2014, 12:59 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,286,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I'm pretty sure it doesn't support the right-wing claim that man cannot affect the environment because it acknowledges that man does indeed affect the environment. I was looking for something that supports the claims right-wingers make that warming is natural. I should have known better.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:26 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,782,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
I've ALWAYS said that man has played a role in the current warming. To what extent is not known. We may never know.....

What I am skeptical of is first the climate models which give ridiculous projections in coming decades, and second, trying attribute every natural weather events in having a human fingerprint.

My case here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/37573360-post94.html
So wait-- it's fine to cite a study by none other than Roy Spencer himself, based purely on (probably manipulated) models and published in some obscure journal, as definitive proof that natural forces are mostly responsible for climate change... but all other models are faulty/flawed and you can't believe what they're saying, because you just think it's ridiculous.

You don't like it because it 'seems reasonable'-- you have no basis by which to judge what 'sounds reasonable'. The only thing you have is your need to find whatever confirms what you want to believe about the topic.

The majority of climatologists still believe that AGW is a problem that needs to be solved, because due to AGW we're risking global political and economic stability.

Also, here's a pretty thorough rebuttal to the Spencer article, which again, isn't exactly the most groundbreaking and industry-halting study that you want it to be:

http://omicsonline.org/open-access/i...17.1000220.pdf

Last edited by Spatula City; 12-09-2014 at 01:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies