Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2015, 02:57 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post

Where did I say I didn't support non-violent protests?! Key words being NON-VIOLENT!

I would have gone elsewhere. You don't want me living in your neighborhood, then *********! I don't want to be your neighbor anyway.
In regards to the bold, you said the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post

Protesting is one thing. Disrupting private business, looting, rioting, harming innocent civilians that had nothing to do with the issues in Ferguson, NYC and Cleveland is where you lose all credibility
In NYC and in Cleveland there has only been protests and non-violent civil disobedience that I am aware of, so in that regard, are you in support of those actions, even the "black brunchers" in who were non-violent and even received support from those of whom they disrupted? If not, why not, they are not hurting anyone and they are following the legacy of King and the CRM in leading non-violent protests with civil disobedience.

In regards to housing discrimination, George Wilborn did buy a different a house and most people do move to other places. But many times they are choosing a place to rent due to being in a safe location and the unit being in their budget. Historically and this still occurs, landlords make blacks or immigrants or single mom's get charged more for rent than they would someone who is white and single with no children for the same place. Historically black people have been charged more in rent than whites for lesser quality and smaller apartments/facilities in bad neighborhoods than whites in many cities, including Cleveland where you live near and especially in Chicago where George Wilborn lives, which is why Dr. King even went there himself to try to get the CRM moved there. His efforts failed in Chicago and he moved back down south and even admitted that the scariest place he ever marched in was Cicero, IL a suburb of Chicago where whites went crazy. There is footage of it on youtube and his quest to move to northern cities and the issues faced in the north, which were entirely different issues than those in the south in most instances. Housing discrimination is still a major problem in the Midwest especially.

I personally believe that the issues here in the midwest (I am also in Ohio) and in NYC and in the west, especially in places like Oakland and LA had more militant black power groups instead of following King and the SCLC. Many blacks in the north did not agree with King's doctrine and took a different route. You can see evidence of this difference even in the protests that are going on IMO, especially in regards to Ferguson as the St. Louis area also has an entrenched history of poor racial relations like Chicago.

So in that regard, I actually am proud of groups like those in support of Eric Garner's family and of the black brunchers who are taking concerted efforts to make their protests, rallies, and activities non-violent. But the masses are not quick to disassociate these groups from each other even though they are not related at all to the riots that occurred in Ferguson. People just group them all together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 03:20 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Many different areas - but there are some areas that are very affluent that simply will not allow blacks in - no matter how much money they have.
I remember something like this when we lived in Orange County, CA in the late 80s-early 90s. The family across the street was selling their house. A black couple came to look at it. When they left, the owners of the house came over and said to my mother, "Don't worry, we told them it was already sold." My mom and the neighbors all smiled at each other.

I said something along the lines of, "Really? It's 1989 in California!! Are you people serious?" and stomped off.

I don't know how much that sort of thing goes on these days. The neighborhood I live in now near St. Louis is new construction, so the neighbors had no opportunity to block prospective buyers.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:25 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Do you care?
No.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:30 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Your example are not the norm. I didn't say all White people do it but most do if given the opportunity. Go to any typical White majority suburb and see what happens when a large number Blacks start moving in. Whites will start leaving and before you know it most of them have left the community. The whole " Blacks moving in, there goes the neighborhood" type of syndrome is alive and well.
You made the accusation. Back it up with proof.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:33 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post

The protesters haven't waged war on anything. They are voicing their displeasure with the criminal justice system. You're the one dreaming up these war scenarios (with the help of Fox News).
Excuse me --- shouting, "What do we want? Dead cops!" When do we want it? Now! "
In your opinion that's just voicing displeasure with the criminal justice system ???
Burning whole downtowns down, robbing, looting, that's some voice.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:43 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
You made the accusation. Back it up with proof.
Just look at the maps I provided in one of the links I posted on the previous pages. You will see just how racially segregated this country is by seeing where people live and move to. Don't get mad at me because this country is so racially divided as I didn't created any of this mess.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:41 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
There are no "race relations."

White people never liked black people. Now most white people can look past that. The few racists still exist as the vocal minority.

Black people are the same they have always been.
Uh; SOME white don't like Black people. Please DON'T speak for all of us. OTOH: saying all Black people are white hating racist hood rats ain't true either.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:47 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Yet when middle class Blacks move into a these White neighborhoods, Whites start to leave. It's been proven time and time again that most Whites don't want to live among a large amount of minorities regardless of income(especially Blacks).
Agreed up to a point. When us "Irish" moved into "white" or even free person of color "Black" areas in the northern states before the Civil War, both race groups moved OUT. Yes; our rep was THAT bad, sound familiar?

Old 01-06-2015, 05:19 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed up to a point. When us "Irish" moved into "white" or even free person of color "Black" areas in the northern states before the Civil War, both race groups moved OUT. Yes; our rep was THAT bad, sound familiar?
At least the Whites eventually accepted the Irish into their neighborhoods. Many Whites today still don't want to live among Black people or at least no more than a few.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:48 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That's the case for the overwhelming majority of white people.

Nothing to do with racism.

Whites don't know blacks for the most part. It's that simple.
Where are these whitopias?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies