Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2015, 08:29 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,847,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I have to be honest, I don't have any non-white co-workers. I don't have any non-white neighbors. I don't have any close acquantances that are non-white because I don't come in contact with them. Race relations aren't an issue where I live. It has nothing to do with being racist, it's just the demographics.
Sounds like paradise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 08:32 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,020,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I think it's also important to mention that in some major metropolitan areas, such as the one I live in (Philly/South and Central New Jersey) there are simply no areas that fit the description of wealthy, predominantly black neighborhoods. And some people who are affluent and black simply do not want to live in a lower-income neighborhood. That goes for every other ethnic group as well.

I also think that in many cases, since, as I have said, more affluent white areas make sure they stay relatively colorless (via redlining, steering, subtle coercion and outright hostility), black folks who are professional often have no good choices as to where to live. They can live in a lower-income black neighborhood or in an upper-income neighborhood where they are the only black family or one of the very few. Neither is a really good option.[/quote]

Why is it a "bad" option for a black family or a few to live in an upper income neighborhood?

Old 01-06-2015, 08:32 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,803,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I not only have black friends/neighbors/acquaintances -- I have family members. Race Relations HAVE taken giant steps back in the Obama Era - it doesn't impact any of my personal dealings with any of the above. It's difficult to watch all this nonsense and not become cynical about what they are doing. I also find it incredibly sad to see this march backwards. I marched for Civil Rights in the 60's - I wouldn't even open my front door for these idiots.

Look at the total craziness:
War on Brunch
War on Shoppers
War on 100 year old WWII Veterans
War on Traffic
War on Police
War on 'whitey'
Burning, Looting, destruction of Black Business
Protestor leadership caught looting and setting fires.
Don't forget the old man they beat up with his oxygen tank and carjacked him. I wish I would have been there packing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBCwgBYc_8I

Old 01-06-2015, 08:38 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,521,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I assume many/most of us have friends/coworkers/acquaintances who are black/white (the opposite of whatever you are). I'm also going to guess that many of us here feel (you may or may not) that race relations have taken a backward step in the last few years.

Have your feelings on the macro state of race relations in the US impacted your more personal dealings with people of another race?

Do you care?

On the micro level, mine have not, but on the macro level, I've definitely become more cynical and negative towards hood rats, protesters and race baiters.

what is a hoodrat? a term ice cube used over 20 years ago? lol. what is wrong with protestors? doesn't the constitution give them the freedom to protest, even if others don't agree with their message? protesting is one of the most american things you can do. and we all know a race baiter is anyone who dares speak on racial injustice. race relations for me are the same as they were in 2008. i know some of the same white people who smile in my face on a daily basis are the same people who get on the internet whining about hood rats and race baiters. as long as they keep their beliefs to themselves i could careless. as a black person i am not interested in changing white hearts and minds, i am only interested in equality and justice.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:44 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,521,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
There are no "race relations."

White people never liked black people. Now most white people can look past that. The few racists still exist as the vocal minority.

Black people are the same they have always been.
to paraphrase what Chris Rock said, black people didn't have to change for things to get better, it was the white people who needed to change. it's like talking about a man who beats his wife. would anyone say that the wife needed to meet the beater halfway for things to bet better? a compromise? "oh, now he only beats her on sunday. their marriage relations have gotten better." but the ones who complain about protesters and "hood rats" don't want to hear any of that. they don't care about the countless statistics that illustrate that there is still inequality in america, only the ones that fit their narrative. hopefully these people will die off soon.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:45 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,301,101 times
The phrase race relations are getting worse is the same old white fear mongering about black Americans protesting racism. It's a repeat of a repeat of a repeat.

A book I've read titled "There Goes my Everything" deals with this con explicitly.

The book is about white southerners during the civil rights movement era. It contains many quotes from southern white people.

Arthur Johnson is one such person and he said "We have been getting along fine here and were good to the negroes, until King and other troublemakers came down here and started this trouble preaching to our negroes."

It later goes on to quote other white people saying that King and the protests are making things worse between white people and negroes.

The playbook hasn't changed one bit. Still the same except now it's Sharpton causing trouble and who is riling those black people up.

Still the same bs story that things were great and how blacks get treated good.

Still the same lame threat that protesting is actually making things worse.

This is why people need to read more and believe less.

Racists haven't changed their response to black Americans fighting racism.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Just look at the maps I provided in one of the links I posted on the previous pages. You will see just how racially segregated this country is by seeing where people live and move to. Don't get mad at me because this country is so racially divided as I didn't created any of this mess.
So how how much of this "racially" segregated country is by choice..... or is it all forced? are you telling me that today most blacks are forced to live where they live because of whites?

Old 01-06-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
There is a difference between blacks wanting to live near blacks, and whites not wanting to live near blacks. I don't know of any blacks moving out of any neighborhoods when whites move in.
So......there are no Black people who do not want to live next to whites??

Old 01-06-2015, 08:54 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,847,430 times
I live in the Houston area, and what I've always found interesting is that the slummy areas downtown are very segregated by race. There are run down black neighborhoods and run down hispanic neighborhoods, but they have their own distinct neighborhoods and are not mixed together.

People naturally like to live and be around people who are of the same race. Go out to eat at a restaurant and you will notice blacks sitting with blacks, hispanics sitting with hispanics, and whites sitting with whites. It's human nature.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
People always say that, but they don't want me living in their neighborhood or have my son date their daughter. But yeah, we're all just Americans, right?
Its amazing that you know exactly what every white person will think of you living next to them.........or your son dating their daughter........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies