Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2015, 09:37 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
In general race relations have continued to improve.
Actually, no. They had been improving (Obama couldn't have been elected without the White vote) up until Obama was sworn into office and he and his Admin started pulling their racist BS. Note how much better race relations were during the 2008 presidential election season, and how much worse they got once Obama was sworn into office. Look at the change from 2009 to 2014 for "Blacks and Whites" in the Pew Research chart on page 3 (pdf page 4), here:

http://c2.nrostatic.com/sites/default/files/8-25-14-Police-and-Race-Release.pdf

Blacks report a greater decline in race relations than do Whites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 09:38 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,400,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Have your feelings on the macro state of race relations in the US impacted your more personal dealings with people of another race?

Do you care?
How I treat people has not changed.

I don't really care about so called race relations in the country, honestly.

I care and am happy that my neighbors and community get along well, however.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:08 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Racial pride is one of the dumbest concepts known to man.

So I'm not surprised that you feel that way.

Do you have pride in the fact that you drink water too?

Lol..."white pride."
too bad i cant rep you for this post.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:36 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,301,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Look, there are certainly racial differences, but differences are the norm among human groups. They aren't the exception.

This link shows a breakdown of income by religious affiliation.

Income Distribution Within U.S. Religious Groups | Pew Research Center's Religion & Public Life Project

I mean, nearly half of all Jews(46%) make more than $100,000 a year. While only 8% of the members of historically black churches make more than $100,000 a year. But only 9% of Jehovah's witnesses make more than $100k a year. And for that matter, only 13% of evangelical Christians make more than $100k a year.

I don't know the racial breakdown among churches. But I would bet money that the income gap between the average white evangelical Christian and a Jew is far larger than the income gap between the average white evangelical Christian and the average black anything.

So what?

For that matter, I would bet the incarceration rate for Jews is far lower than it is for the typical white person. I would also bet that the average jail sentence for a Jew is far lower than it is for the typical white person for the same crime. So what? Should white people be out marching in the street for some sort of justice against the rich Jews that control the system and use their money and influence to get away with crimes and to keep themselves in power? What would you say if they did?

Who runs Hollywood? C'mon - Los Angeles Times

I mean, if any sort of gap appears between any racial, ethnic, religious, or gender group, should we all sit around all day marching in the streets until that gap disappears? What are we supposed to do about it exactly?

You know, I would actually have sympathy for blacks if they would just stand on principle. Black people complain about how the system is racist, or that the system is working against them. Now, if I thought the system was inherently stacked against me(which I do). I would try to tear down the system(which I am trying to do). Or just "opt-out" of the system. Basically, if my life is being controlled by rich white people, I would seek to separate myself from the rich white people, to prevent them from having power over me. I mean, I can understand "Black nationalism", it seems to be a perfectly rational outcome of someone who believes in systemic oppression.

Where I disagree with black people, is that instead of sticking to their guns and boycotting and opting-out and becoming truly independent of the "white power". They repeatedly get "bought-out" by welfare and other hand-outs.

Why? Because they aren't opposed to power, they are just upset that they aren't the ones wielding it.
You make no sense and are confused. this nation has a history of taking/stealing from black Americans, that only the native Americans can rival.

The whole of American society was organized around race. The "white American" identity, that allowed Europeans to come to America and unify as American and forget their ethnic heritages is exclusively built on a racial identity, that told them their "race" is better, more deserving and greater than others especially black people who are inferior.

This identity based on racism, hatred, white supremacy gave Europeans in this nation a cohesive cultural identity where none existed.

It allowed Europeans to come here and try to pursue their dreams while they stood atop the stolen labor and lives of others.

It is that context that we look at stats that show huge racial gaps, huge systematic racism against the same group that America has always stolen, and taken from.

The rest of your post is irrelevant. People will and havevalways found a reason to support racial inequities, Usually by attacking the targets of racial inequities.

Their thinking is usually verbally expressed like this "You know I'd be against this evil and wrong against black Americans, If I didn't think black people were so messed up themselves".

That's literally the same old same old same old.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:39 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,388,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Racial pride is one of the dumbest concepts known to man.

So I'm not surprised that you feel that way.

Do you have pride in the fact that you drink water too?

Lol..."white pride."
If they can have their "pride," it's only right we have ours. It's not as much about having pride as it is a counter to their crap.

Funny you take issue with white pride but not with all the other pride movements for people of color.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Are you black?

Can you give actual examples of when you feel you've been the victim of racism?

IMHO, a lot of perceived 'racism' is actually just stuff that happens in everyday life, but for those looking for it, they'll find it anywhere and everywhere.
This whole post is irrelevant. My racial identity is irrelevant.

Anyone and I do mean anyone can look up just about any stat and there exists huge racial inequities.

I mean just absolutely huge racial gaps across the board in every area of American life.

These huge racial inequities are THE problem.

For some reason when discussing racism that's never the focus, it's always a bunch of useless blather.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
So, do you equate these racial inequalities to the fault of white people or black people?

Something tells me you play the victimhood card really hard.
No, I deal with history and reality.

This nation and many many many Americans as a matter of custom and law killed, raped, stole, took, took, took, took from black people officially and legally for 81%(1783-1970) of this nation's history.

For 81% of this nation's history it's official view of black people was exploitation, and they are not human.

I'd think given that history of brutality and outright theft from black people that huge racial gaps would naturally be viewed as a continuation of that same system of exploitation.

That's how I look at those stats.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:53 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,042,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
This whole post is irrelevant. My racial identity is irrelevant.

Anyone and I do mean anyone can look up just about any stat and there exists huge racial inequities.

I mean just absolutely huge racial gaps across the board in every area of American life.

These huge racial inequities are THE problem.

For some reason when discussing racism that's never the focus, it's always a bunch of useless blather.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.....

That's like saying that the PROBLEM with the American prison system is that blacks are the overwhelming race in American prisons. Is that the problem or is the problem that blacks commit more crimes?

80% of black children are born to single mothers. Is that the problem? Or is the problem that the culture in the hood is that it's OK to have multiple children from multiple fathers and never get married?

Old 01-07-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Wrong, wrong, wrong.....

That's like saying that the PROBLEM with the American prison system is that blacks are the overwhelming race in American prisons. Is that the problem or is the problem that blacks commit more crimes?

80% of black children are born to single mothers. Is that the problem? Or is the problem that the culture in the hood is that it's OK to have multiple children from multiple fathers and never get married?
First black Americans are not the majority in prison, but a huge part of the system of racial exploitation involved creating the "black codes" in the south that gave the police, the state legal authority to arrest just about any unemployed black man and enable private businesses to steal their labor through the prison system legally. Look it up.

So yeah America's criminal justice system has never treated black Americans equally and that is a huge problem.

In terms of your thinking that racial inequities aren't the result of systematic racism, but prove the black race is deficient that is America's favorite racist narrative.

Literally Americans no matter the time period have usually blamed racial inequities on the idea of black racial deficiencies.

It's just the same old same old.

The idea that anti black Racism isn't the cause of huge racial inequities and that the real cause is that black people suck and have these black racial deficiencies is the argument racists always make.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:14 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,020,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
In the middle class all-white suburban neighborhood where I grew up (and where my mother still resides) a house just went up for mortgge foreclosure...it's listed for a considerable amount less than what houses in the area sell for. It's become a bit of an eyesore, neglected, and needs work...really sticks out like a sore thumb on that street. A big concern the neighboring residents (and my mother, to be honest) have? That it will sell to a black or hispanic because it is cheap and because off its condition. They'll buy it cheap and leave it in that condition.

That could have been the case 50 plus years ago when we moved there. Attitudes have NOT really changed...it's just not acceptable to voice them.

I work for a school district that doesn't acknowledge MLK Day as a holiday...it's considered a teacher's inservice day. Students are off, but staff is scheduled to attend seminars. If school is closed for a snow day,. it's always fthe first used as a makeup day.

I do not see that here.............
Veterans day is not a holiday in my daughters school district either.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies