Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2015, 09:47 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I am not very interested in these historical blame games. Yes they are real and important, but using crimes committed by Christians centuries ago to blunt criticism of Muslims is meaningless.

What matters to me is what is happening today. I am not aware of any mass casualty events occurring now in the name of Christianity. Some fundamentalists argue for weakening of Constitutional law. And I think in the US, Christians complain and whine a lot (without justification). But complaining and working through the political process is very different than killing people because they don't like free speech (which is law in France).

The same 1st Amendment in the US that protects free speech protects freedom of religion. Religion can't trump the 1st Amendment in the US.
Like the second amendment, we need to restrict the first to prevent violent political cults from masquerading as religions.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:48 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Huge surprise - John Kerry speaks French.
Another surprise, not.

Lindsey Graham is calling this an attack on the US and is calling for increased spending on Defence/ Intellegence.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:48 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
More cloaking.

They aren't a cult.

They believe in the same God that Christians believe in, that Jews believe in. They follow the God of Abraham. Three religions, all based on the same foundation, that each took different paths.

And each of these religions has their own claims to shame. Each of these religions has been USED and invoked to commit terrible atrocities. Each of these religions have scriptures that are ambiguous, contradictory, and confounding. All of these scriptures have been re-written, interpreted, and translated to the point that what we read today bears little resemblance to the original texts.

And the extremists are cloaking their goals behind the veil of religion, just like those that participated in the Crusades, or in the Inquisition, did.
The hackneyed 'all Abrahamic religions' followed by the inevitable Crusades & Inquisition comparison. Blechhhh.

Who cares about ancient origins of the religions when each ends up with its own unique interpreter and messenger of what that god said. Irrelevant except to excuse-makers.

Flash --- this is 2015, not 1100.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:50 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
I agree with you and really sympathize. The answer is to keep protesting - like they're doing in Germany, in BIG NUMBERS. Since you have no gun rights over there, you're all sitting targets. You can't even protect yourself and your families. Protest!
There is a group here in England known as the EDL, which stands for English Defence League. They came into being after their leader witnessed muslims holding signs as British soldiers marched through a town. They had returned from a tour of Afghanistan. The signs held messages like 'Baby Killers.' So, the EDL was born.

They held marches in various towns around England. The newspapers wasted no time in trying to destroy the image of their leader as a racist. A few years ago, such a march was held in the town I live in. Local news advised people to stay away while this march took place. We were also informed just how much this march was costing for police security, and the loss to local businesses.

I decided I wanted to witness this, and went into town the day of the march. As I got to the centre, I saw the whole area was fenced off. Inside the fenced area was the anti-fascists as they billed themselves. There were hundreds of police on the outside of the fences keeping these people in. They were a mixed bunch of young white people, blacks, and asians. By asians, I mean pakistani muslims. They were screaming abuse at the police, and holding up signs which said, "more immigration - yes please' and 'god is great.' I had never seen anything like it. All those people their faces contorted in anger and hate.

A policeman said to me, "I would leave the area if I was you. This lot are awaiting the march past of the EDL." I decided to stay........ among the police. Eventually, the EDL walked by on the main road. There was about 100 of them, a tiny amount compared to the so called anti-fascists. The crowd behind the barriers screamed abuse, and tried to push their way through the barriers. The police somehow held their ground. If they had succeeded, and got to the marchers, I am convinced some would have been killed.

For me, whatever the political affiliations of the marchers, to do what they did took guts. There was no guarantee the police line would have held. Every march the EDL has held, newspapers, politicians, and local officials condemn the EDL, and not the dangerous mob that oppose them. This is what it boils down to, the English people feel that the law is not on our side. For some reason beyond our understanding, massive muslim immigration has been allowed into this country. I have no doubt when I watch the television news later, politicians will come on saying this atrocity was carried out by fanatics, and the majority of muslims condemn this.

The only thing is, this will be stated by white politicians, not muslim leaders. The fact is, what these people have done today with these murders, is what their holy book tells them to do. This book is the actual word of God they believe, not an interpretation by man. Insult the Prophet, and you die..... simple as that.

Any muslim leader condemning the killers will put his own life in danger. Many will see these men as good muslims, doing their duty. This is what we are dealing with here. Eventually terrorism will come to our shores here in England. I have no doubt about it. Politicians will try and placate muslims when the time comes. Anything to avoid a civil war. It won't matter, when muslims decide they are enough in number, they will try and take over.

Probably first through legal means. More muslim MPs in Government, and try to influence policy that way. Eventually, I don't believe that will be enough, and we will get terrorist acts similar to what we had with the IRA. Bombs in buildings, and cars. That sort of thing. They will possibly demand an independent state within England. This will be refused, and a civil war will commence. Then it'll be them or us. If we lose, god help us.

This is why the majority of people don't march in protest. They feel our own Government is against us, and accuse us of racism. I guess there are similar views all over Europe. The folks marching in Germany against mass immigration are getting similar treatment from authority. I dread where all this is heading, and hope I am dead and gone before it hits the fan.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:52 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
A valid point with a horrible analogy. Tim McVeigh was a murderer who happened to be (I assume) of Christian background. I don't think his crimes were motivated by Christianity so much as right wing nutjobbery.

Adam Lanza did not kill in the name of religion, nor did Seung-Hui.

It is the act of KILLING or ACTING for religious motivations that must be looked at. Is something being done to ADVANCE a religious ideology, or to ATTACK another religious ideology?
Do you think that the attack on the magazine ADVANCED a religious ideology?

Because I don't. I think the reaction is quite the opposite, that people (of all beliefs) are repulsed by this kind of violence. And I think the terrorists know that. They don't think that this is going to attract people to their cause, it's not going to persuade people that Islam is a great religion. Just the opposite.

Their motivation isn't to advance their religion. It's to make people aware of their anger and dissatisfaction. They are the whiners who have determined that they won't be ignored anymore. Religion is just a tool. Anger and hatred is what really guides them.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
They chose to be members of the Nation of Islam so they can go live in the Islamic state.
Deport citizens because of their religious beliefs?

CNN is reporting that the gunmen spoke perfect French and are likely citizens of France.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Do you think that the attack on the magazine ADVANCED a religious ideology?

Because I don't. I think the reaction is quite the opposite, that people (of all beliefs) are repulsed by this kind of violence. And I think the terrorists know that. They don't think that this is going to attract people to their cause, it's not going to persuade people that Islam is a great religion. Just the opposite.

Their motivation isn't to advance their religion. It's to make people aware of their anger and dissatisfaction. They are the whiners who have determined that they won't be ignored anymore. Religion is just a tool. Anger and hatred is what really guides them.
Sharia laws call for retribution and revenge on those that slander the name of the prophet.

Blasphemy can get you legally executed in some Muslim countries.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
The Terrorists entered the building by forcing an employee and her child to enter the code to the door - they then went directly to the office where the meeting was held and called out the names of the Cartoonists and Editors.

The head Editor and head Cartoonist were both executed. It was a well planned and executed attack.
They first went to another address and realized their mistake.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Deport citizens because of their religious beliefs?

CNN is reporting that the gunmen spoke perfect French and are likely citizens of France.
The MSM is downplaying the religious aspect of this.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:55 AM

410 posts, read 398,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Life expectancy was about 35 years in those times.
Sex with 9 year olds was rather common in those times and certainly not limited to Mo.
Excellent, you agree that Mo was a pedophile.
Now, do you see the difference between engaging in sexual deviancy and electing a pedophile as the last prophet?

BTW, MO was also illiterate, a slave trader and a merciless warlord (all historical facts).
Should we really be so surprised that his disciples are continuing the tradition?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies