Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 01:49 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,819,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
It will be legal by force.... Most Americans are against same-sex marriage though. Some Americans have changed their mind (such as Obama) due to pressure or not being called for "backwards" and other bad names. BTW any Christian who oppose homosexuals are false Christians because Jesus Christ himself loved everybody and said to love one another. He saw everybody equally. Judaism and Islam the only religion where homosexuality is forbidden and a sin.
Keep telling yourself that (maybe you're confusing same-sex marriage with interracial marriages, bans on which were struck down in 1967, decades before a majority of the U.S. population supported such marriages).

Same-Sex Marriage Support Reaches New High at 55%
Poll: Majority support SCOTUS gay marriage decision - Jonathan Topaz - POLITICO.com
Polling Tracks Growing and Increasingly Diverse Support for the Freedom to Marry | Freedom to Marry
Majority of Americans now support gay marriage, survey finds | Reuters
Public opinion of same-sex marriage in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While you're at it, keep telling yourself that Constitutionality is bound by popular opinion.

And keep telling yourself that your religious views are somehow relevant to the issue of civil marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Same sex marriage could be legal in all 50 states by the end of the year!
'could'?

It almost certainly will be.

Justice Anthony Kennedy - author of the majority opinions in the three landmark gay rights cases in American jurisprudence - Romer v. Evans (1996), Lawrence v. Texas (2003), and Windsor v. United States (2013) - will almost certainly be joined by Justices Breyer, Ginsburg, Sotomayor and Kagan. As senior Justice in that group, he will choose who writes the opinion. It is possible that Chief Justice Roberts, not wanting his legacy to include a position that will become increasingly embarrassing with each passing decade, may join in that majority, but my guess is that he would pass on writing the decision.

The high court always issues its final rulings for each session by July 4. And then it will be all over but the whining.

Last edited by Unsettomati; 01-16-2015 at 01:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 01:55 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,980,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
All I ask is that can we not have parades about it every year afterwards? I'm not going to challenge anyone about it. However, I'm also not going to parade annually about my heterosexuality as it's my business and frankly, who cares?

So they pass it, great. Now, can we move on?
My sentiments exactly!
OK, homosexuals can get "married".
When will the Supremes decide that state laws do not specifically have to allow them to get a divorce, that since they are married they automatically have the right to divorce?
I think THAT is hilarious! Before, they could just divide their property any old way and go their separate ways. NOW they must get a divorce, with lawyers, and court costs, and all the hassle, and the JUDGE will decide who keeps what, and who pays child support or alimony!
Yep, now they have the same rights as the rest of us poor fools!
Good for them!

Old 01-16-2015, 01:56 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
What does political affiliation have to do with favoring same-sex marriage? I know liberals who are against it, and some republicans who are for it.

I myself have mixed feelings... the government will lose money now by allowing it
Not according to the CBO
Quote:
The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) estimates that on net,
those impacts would improve the budget’s bottom line to a small extent: by less
than $1 billion in each of the next 10 years (CBO’s usual estimating period). That
result assumes that same-sex marriages are legalized in all 50 states and recognized
by the federal government.
http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/fil...exmarriage.pdf

Old 01-16-2015, 02:02 PM

170 posts, read 133,996 times
Should be law in all 50 states soon. Divorce by heterosexuals has done substantially more damage to the family unit that allowing loving same sex couples to get married.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:12 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,524,460 times
Regardless of what the Supreme Court rules - and I expect them to rule in favor of federalism and states rights - there is no such thing as homosexual marriage. That is not what marriage is and no legal pronouncement can change that.

Similarly, if a constitutional amendment were to be passed with 100% national support insisting that the moon is made out of green cheese, that would not make it so. It isn't, and no law or court ruling can change that.

Case closed.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:14 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times
Default SCOTUS to hear same sex marriage bans

The Supreme Court today decided to hear the case on whether same sex marriage bans are unconstitutional. This is long overdue. Freedom is coming in the form of a 5-4 opinion! 🇺🇸

Old 01-16-2015, 02:16 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,495,242 times
Quote:
It will be legal by force.... Most Americans are against same-sex marriage though. Some Americans have changed their mind (such as Obama) due to pressure and/or not wanted being called for "backwards" and other bad names. BTW any Christian who oppose homosexuals are false Christians because Jesus Christ himself loved everybody and said to love one another. He saw everybody equally. Judaism and Islam the only religion where homosexuality is forbidden and a sin.
Sorry, but if you had any recollection of history, interracial marriage was not supported by nearly 70% of the US population, it was forced on them by judicial order. Your Christian opposition means squat when it comes to rights or law. I did not know that Jesus was bigotted against homosexuals or condoned treating them as second class or subhuman.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
If you believe that Christianity does not condemn the sin of homosexuality, you are badly mistaken. Both the old testament and the new testament are crystal clear on this matter.
The bible is against sodomy, not homosexuality and none of that matters when it comes to laws or rights. Religion has no say in rights.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Regardless of what the Supreme Court rules - and I expect them to rule in favor of federalism and states rights - there is no such thing as homosexual marriage. That is not what marriage is and no legal pronouncement can change that.

Similarly, if a constitutional amendment were to be passed with 100% national support insisting that the moon is made out of green cheese, that would not make it so. It isn't, and no law or court ruling can change that.

Case closed.
Case is not closed, you are not the definitive of what is a legal marriage. Your religion does not matter when it comes to federal civil marriage, never has. You are parroting the same words that people against interracial marriage said, but it did not stop interracial marriage as you will not stop marriage equality. Just so you know, it was legal pronouncement that forced the recognition of interracial marriage, if not for Loving verses Virginia, there would still be bans on interracial marriage in some states.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:28 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,389,418 times
Quote:
If you believe that Christianity does not condemn the sin of homosexuality, you are badly mistaken. Both the old testament and the new testament are crystal clear on this matter.
Crystal clear? No. Not at all. Unless you think all gay and lesbian people in the 21st century are sacred male temple prostitutes worshipping ancient Canaanite fertility gods, heterosexual people who worship 1st century Greek fertility gods in the Corinthian pagan temples using ritual sex acts, or heterosexual male rapists who use male rape to dominate and humiliate male strangers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies