Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2015, 07:29 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,661,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You, too, seem to be unable to comprehend the phrase: "self-made billionaires who rose from nothing"
There Are More Self-Made Billionaires In The Forbes 400 Than Ever Before - Forbes
"Rose from nothing" rarely means making one's way out of the projects, from a single-parent household without a car, and going to some lousy inner-city school with abysmal graduation rates. It is far more likely that a CEO or "self-made" millionaire will have benefited from a middle-class up-bringing, a two-parent household with a secure home, a family car, and good neighborhood schools.

Most wealthy people do not come from the first scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 07:39 PM

And here's a good example. Mark Zuckerberg. I'd call him a self-made billionaire; he didn't inherit his massive wealth.

But, his biography shows that:

"He is the son of dentist Edward Zuckerberg and psychiatrist Karen Kempner." He grew up in wealthy Westchester County NY and went to elite Phillips Exeter Academy in his junior year.

"Zuckerberg began using computers and writing software in middle school. His father taught him Atari BASIC Programming in the 1990s, and later hired software developer David Newman to tutor him privately."

I mean come on, talk about a "head start."

Mark Zuckerberg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-30-2015, 07:48 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,502,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
"Rose from nothing" rarely means making one's way out of the projects, from a single-parent household without a car, and going to some lousy inner-city school with abysmal graduation rates. It is far more likely that a CEO or "self-made" millionaire will have benefited from a middle-class up-bringing, a two-parent household with a secure home, a family car, and good neighborhood schools.

Most wealthy people do not come from the first scenario.
So in other words if the world was ran by only American liberals everyone would be poor scumbags stuck in real bona fide abject poverty.

Liberals aren't really hip on petroleum based energy, the nuclear or extended family, private property or merit-based school systems. In fact I'm pretty sure liberals are against pretty much everything that makes sense and is historically and factually based. Now if you're talking fairy tales, unicorns and fairies...

Old 01-30-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Yes, I wish that the income of the middle-class wasn't being so readily redistributed to the wealthy.

"Productivity in the economy grew by 80.4 percent between 1973 and 2011 but the growth of real hourly compensation of the median worker grew by far less, just 10.7 percent, and nearly all of that growth occurred in a short window in the late 1990s.

The pattern was very different from 1948 to 1973, when the hourly compensation of a typical worker grew in tandem with productivity.

Working harder used to get workers a commensurate increase in pay, but for the past 40 years an increasingly disproportionate amount of wealth has been taken by the already rich."

The wedges between productivity and median compensation growth | Economic Policy Institute

The Working Rich | National Review Online

How much income have you given up for the 1 %? See chart below:

It's the Inequality, Stupid | Mother Jones
What part of a forced savings plan of a war time economy are you having problems with? These days are very different and people will murder your whole family so that they can have an iPod. It's strange how some of you see problems but can't figure out how they happen. Do you seriously think rich people got that way by stealing from poor people? Why would they even need to when poor people will gladly work their entire lives for The Rich by buying living their entire lives in debt and paying not just the face value but in many cases two and three time face value so they can fulfill their infantile urges.

Are you suggesting we enter a war time economy so that morons will be forced to learn how to save and build wealth because they'll have no choice in the matter?

I'm pretty sure at this point that's pretty much the only way to change today's conditions. Subsidizing and rewarding horrid and petulant behavior where people act on every infantile urge they have hasn't and isn't working. The grotesque society was a horrible idea then and it is a horrible idea now.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:57 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,405,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
So in other words if the world was ran by only American liberals everyone would be poor scumbags stuck in real bona fide abject poverty.

Liberals aren't really hip on petroleum based energy, the nuclear or extended family, private property or merit-based school systems. In fact I'm pretty sure liberals are against pretty much everything that makes sense and is historically and factually based. Now if you're talking fairy tales, unicorns and fairies...
Ahhh so apparently you object to equal opportunity with unequal outcomes, and FAR prefer unequal opportunity with outcomes having more to do with who your parents are?

I mean really you seem to be objecting to anyone who might say "hey we're the land of opportunity, lets have that instead of the land of the gentrified"

Old 01-30-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Ahhh so apparently you object to equal opportunity with unequal outcomes, and FAR prefer unequal opportunity with outcomes having more to do with who your parents are?

I mean really you seem to be objecting to anyone who might say "hey we're the land of opportunity, lets have that instead of the land of the gentrified"
I'm opposed to people like yourself who make horrible choices, destroy people's lives and then swoop in to come and save them from the evil world (you).

Old 01-30-2015, 08:07 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,405,006 times
Quote:
I'm opposed to people like yourself who make horrible choices, destroy people's lives and then swoop in to come and save them from the evil world (you).
LOL. please tell me all about my horrible choices, and how I destroy peoples lives.

I have recently helped someone.....Is that the swooped in and saved them from the evil world? I mean I am paying all of their bills and all....but they're a freind, and they;re probably going to be dead within 2-3 years so I am helping them while they get social security.....is that what you mean?

You dont know me.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:13 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,566,311 times
Class warfare. Yeah, my family, and wife's, are pretty much poor, our family struggles to survive, and oh, there are billionaires out there having the time of their lives! Who the hell cares. They have what they have, and who in the hell says that the US government, or anyone else, should steal what they have? Jealous - sure, it's a common human emotion, but really, steal so that YOU or others can have what they have???? That's bull crap.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
What part of a forced savings plan of a war time economy are you having problems with? These days are very different and people will murder your whole family so that they can have an iPod. It's strange how some of you see problems but can't figure out how they happen. Do you seriously think rich people got that way by stealing from poor people? Why would they even need to when poor people will gladly work their entire lives for The Rich by buying living their entire lives in debt and paying not just the face value but in many cases two and three time face value so they can fulfill their infantile urges.

Are you suggesting we enter a war time economy so that morons will be forced to learn how to save and build wealth because they'll have no choice in the matter?

I'm pretty sure at this point that's pretty much the only way to change today's conditions. Subsidizing and rewarding horrid and petulant behavior where people act on every infantile urge they have hasn't and isn't working. The grotesque society was a horrible idea then and it is a horrible idea now.
I agree it is subsidizing and rewarding horrid behavior when in the U.S. the average CEO compensation is 531 times the average employee compensation (as of 2000).

In comparison, the multiplier was 21 for Canada, 11 for Germany and Switzerland, 25 for Britain, 10 for Japan and 22 for Australia.

The rich are stealing from the poor and middle-class, in effect, when corporate CEOs are vastly over-compensated for the work they do, and their workers are under-compensated for the work they do.

And guess where the gap is the greatest? The fast food industry--the very industry that pays their workers next to nothing. Today, CEOs at leading fast food companies pocket more than 1,200 times more than their average employees, according to a report by Demos, an economic policy think tank. To quote the report: "The gains from economic growth are being entirely awarded to people at the top of the income scale."

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101580162

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...es-out-control

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5838014.html

Last edited by ellemint; 01-30-2015 at 08:39 PM..

Old 01-30-2015, 08:42 PM

"And even while making such low wages, nine out of 10 fast food workers have been victims of wage theft, like having to work off-the-clock, not being paid for overtime work, or having managers falsify time sheets,"

...more theft of the poor by the rich.

Which Industry's CEOs Are Ripping Off Workers Most?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies