Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 09:26 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,560,095 times

Advertisements

So my step son goes to a charter school he has most of his life. This year he is in the 8th grade.
lately he has been complaining that he has to stand up during the pledge of allegiance. We all had to do this as kids ourselves & times have changed for better of worse. Should children have to stand for the pledge if they don't want to? The school is writing kids up if they don't stand & take part in it.
This is not about religion not as far as we are concerned. Yes, there are times in his life that he is going to have to do things he doesn't agree with. Is the school forcing children him & taking away his rights or should he suck it up & deal with it? This could be put under the same as prayer in school if you wanted to take it that way. I'm surprised that this is happening here in Asheville, NC considering how liberal it is here. Granted it's still the bible belt. He asked his mom if he should fight it or just go along with it. She said it was up to him & how far he is willing to take it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 09:28 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,153,534 times
He has the right not to stand.

However, it's disrespectful and silly.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:30 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,908,326 times
The pledge of allegiance is one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen and think it should be done away with.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:31 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,092,912 times
Be a good parent and be proud of America...
Demonstrate this through personal action showing respect for our country

We are fortunate to be Americans

Tell him why... tell him to participate... that is his right ..

This is a no brainer...

Old 01-24-2015, 09:33 AM

18,481 posts, read 15,279,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
So my step son goes to a charter school he has most of his life. This year he is in the 8th grade.
lately he has been complaining that he has to stand up during the pledge of allegiance. We all had to do this as kids ourselves & times have changed for better of worse. Should children have to stand for the pledge if they don't want to? The school is writing kids up if they don't stand & take part in it.
This is not about religion not as far as we are concerned. Yes, there are times in his life that he is going to have to do things he doesn't agree with. Is the school forcing children him & taking away his rights or should he suck it up & deal with it? This could be put under the same as prayer in school if you wanted to take it that way. I'm surprised that this is happening here in Asheville, NC considering how liberal it is here. Granted it's still the bible belt. He asked his mom if he should fight it or just go along with it. She said it was up to him & how far he is willing to take it.
By forcing him to stand up, they are negating the meaning of the pledge. "LIBERTY and justice for all."

But that said, other people also have just as much right to react negatively to his actions, as long as they don't lay a hand on him. I can understand not saying "under god" if he doesn't believe in god, but I am just curious why he doesn't want to stand for the pledge. It is his right, but does he not believe in the words of the pledge?

Old 01-24-2015, 09:34 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,807,098 times
Kids were doing this ( refusing to stand, refusing to recite) in the 60's-70's.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:54 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,277,616 times
I'm surprised at the lackadasical attitude to expression of our country's ideals in reciting the Pledge.
These liberties were hard fought for and continue to be. Not something to take for granted. I think my father would have disowned me if I didn't recite the Pledge with awareness and pride and that includes standing.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:56 AM

7,816 posts, read 6,402,815 times
He should have the right not to stand and other people should have the right to ostracize him for it. He's not gonna be the most popular kid in the playground.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:57 AM

894 posts, read 1,051,990 times
Why won't he stand? That seems really petty on his part. I would have gotten my butt kicked if my parents received a call from the school telling them I was refusing to recite the pledge.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:58 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,560,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
By forcing him to stand up, they are negating the meaning of the pledge. "LIBERTY and justice for all."

But that said, other people also have just as much right to react negatively to his actions, as long as they don't lay a hand on him. I can understand not saying "under god" if he doesn't believe in god, but I am just curious why he doesn't want to stand for the pledge. It is his right, but does he not believe in the words of the pledge?

I'm not sure why he is not wanting to do this it's possible that he could be just lazy & doesn't want to stand up in the morning. He does believe in god as far as I know we're Pagans & that's his choice to believe as he wants. Again I'm not sure why we'll have to ask him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies