Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 11:45 PM

1,431 posts, read 912,069 times

Advertisements

Middle class hates the 1% because of jealously for the most part. They disguise it with other reasons, but how many would actually like to be in the 1% if they had the chance?

Old 01-25-2015, 12:31 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Who's to say it was right when a CEO made 100 times the salary of his average employee, why was that the standard? Who's to say it's wrong that the CEO today may be making 10,000 times the salary of his average worker?

Why do workers complain when American jobs are lost in favor of cheaper overseas production and why should they be upset that companies can often pay less taxes when that occurs? Maybe the current system should actually have been in effect fifty years ago.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:08 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
This is a troll thread. But I'll chime in anyway in the hopes of changing just one opinion.

I don't hate the 1% -- so long as they realize how they became part of the 1% in the first place. Here's one my favorite members of the 1%. This article should be required reading:

The Pitchforks Are Coming

And here's a Ted talk that is mostly the same thing, with a few additional interesting points:

Nick Hanauer: Beware, fellow plutocrats, the pitchforks are coming | Talk Video | TED.com

I agree with many that America is fast becoming like Brazil and Mexico -- the rich, the destitute, and not much in between. So I'm doing my best to be part of the former and not the latter. But if we don't adopt the middle-out strategy instead of the top-down BS we currently use, I'm keeping my exit-strategy honed....

Old 01-25-2015, 01:24 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
It's all about wage stagnation. Executives are more inclined to give themselves more and their workers less. It's greed pure and simple.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:34 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
So many posters here are middle class, and they clearly hate -- loathe -- those who are in the upper income class and upper wealth class.

Why can't middle class people just get along with those who earn more/are worth more? I

Is it just jealousy, or is there more to it?
It isn't middle class people who hate the rich. It is leftists who hate the rich. Poor conservatives don't hate the rich. And rich leftists hate rich people who aren't other leftists. It's about politics, not about economics.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:59 AM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
I don't hate them one bit. They employ me!

Old 01-25-2015, 05:16 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,576,825 times
Has anyone here ever worked for a poor man?

Old 01-25-2015, 05:41 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,791,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
So many posters here are middle class, and they clearly hate -- loathe -- those who are in the upper income class and upper wealth class.

Why can't middle class people just get along with those who earn more/are worth more? I

Is it just jealousy, or is there more to it?
Because there is a valid debate over how a United people should manage resources.

If the management of resources is not a collective activity within a large social group, how are we any different than a solitary non-social species?

What's makes us "United"? Are we cooperating just in name only and not in fact?

A species becomes social for their mutual survival. What is the point of claiming we are a social species and calling ourselves "united" if our individual well being has no impact on the well being of the other members of our "tribe" and species?

Alright, so you claim all the resources you collect are your own and nobody else has a right to them.

How does that make you any different than a bear or tiger or any other solitary species that can't and/or won't cooperate over resources with the other members of its species?

We might as well just declare The United States null and void and disband since there are some who feel they don't have any obligation or true loyalty to their fellow citizens.

There's no point in continuing the charade of pretending you care about your fellow citizen when it's clearly all about you and a constant refrain of "mine!", "mine!", "mine!".

Last edited by Shankapotomus; 01-25-2015 at 05:52 AM..

Old 01-25-2015, 06:08 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,791,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
5 trillion dollars has been taken away from the 1% for 50 years under the guise of war on poverty. How much of it did you get? If you think taxing the 1% will add anything to your paycheck you are a spring chicken.
The Iraq war is projected to cost 6 Trillion for the war itself and veterans benefits over the next 40 years and we are nowhere near having the Iraq we wanted.

All it proves is that any endeavor that has an opposition trying to overturn any progress one way is going to eat up resources.

And certainly, Republicans have spent the same energy over that 50 years resisting and overturning democratic legislation designed to help Americans as Al Qaeda and ISIL have spent trying to destroy and thwart progress in Iraq.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:25 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,013,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
Because there is a valid debate over how a United people should manage resources.

If the management of resources is not a collective activity within a large social group, how are we any different than a solitary non-social species?

What's makes us "United"? Are we cooperating just in name only and not in fact?

A species becomes social for their mutual survival. What is the point of claiming we are a social species and calling ourselves "united" if our individual well being has no impact on the well being of the other members of our "tribe" and species?

Alright, so you claim all the resources you collect are your own and nobody else has a right to them.

How does that make you any different than a bear or tiger or any other solitary species that can't and/or won't cooperate over resources with the other members of its species?

We might as well just declare The United States null and void and disband since there are some who feel they don't have any obligation or true loyalty to their fellow citizens.

There's no point in continuing the charade of pretending you care about your fellow citizen when it's clearly all about you and a constant refrain of "mine!", "mine!", "mine!".

Well said, and true. Greed seems to be what motivates far too many Americans, who have yet to learn that money can neither buy happiness nor stave off eventual death. No amount of money protects one from cancer, heart disease, debilitating illness or traumatic accidents. This reminds me of Mahatma Gandhi's quote: "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." America is certainly failing to measure up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies