Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2015, 10:43 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,571,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
That only proves women in that state keep their babies and are against abortion more than other places. They aren't the only state with that program.
Wow, you didn't even comprehend that at all. Those girls are HAVING SEX resulting in pregnancy. Why? Because the schools are teaching abstinence only. Clearly, teaching abstinence only does NOT RESULT IN LOWER PREGNANCY RATES. It has NOTHING to do with abortion. Why can't you comprehend something so basic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 09:31 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,643,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
The term "inconvenience" is up for criticism because it is erroneously used to portray the woman as selfish......as if carrying a pregnancy for 9 months and giving birth is a walk in the park. Nothing to it, ho hum.

Would you describe having a tumor as an inconvenience? I wouldn't. If I found out I was infected with parasites, would I call that an inconvenience? NO.

If I forget to pick up a loaf of bread on the way home, I would call that an inconvenience.

When a man is diagnosed with prostrate cancer and has to go through months of uncomfortable treatments or surgery, missed work, financial loss, risk of losing his life, would you call that a minor inconvenience?

No? Then tell me where pro-lifers get off assigning that term to pregnancy.

I didn't answer your second question because I thought jjrose's response answered it.

Once a fetus can survive outside of the womb, whether it can survive on its own or not, it is a baby. There are many people of all ages that cannot survive on their own, but they do not need to be tethered to one specific person 24/7 to survive.
Alright. This is a response I can work with. To wit, I agree that pregnancy is much more than an "inconvenience", and if used and taken , in the context you speak of, , that, certainly is a provocative tactic. However, some of the language used by other , professed, "pro choice" people, that I have seen, repeatedly, in other threads on this subject, goes WAY past provocative.

One such poster, speaking on the subject of my second question, and late term abortion, stated " Just rip the fetus out, and throw it on the table, and see if it survives". This poster, and several others on that particular thread, had no limits on callousness, and downright savagery, in how and when a pregnancy could be terminated.. Their expressed take was, that if it. could not survive on its own, it is no more than medical waste.

Such views and "debate" tactics are pretty nasty. At any rate, you answered the questions. I should add, that I asked number two, mainly, go ascertain where the "pro choice" side draws the line. Or if there IS a line. Obviously, you can't really speak for everyone who professes to be "pro choice", but you answered for your, personal, take on things.

This topic is rife with flaming rhetoric, and shock tactics. You used neither...I thank you for that.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:34 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,526,094 times
Actually it is not the pro-life people who are calling a pregnancy and inconvenience it's the women who are having abortion calling pregnancy that. They say, "It's not convenient to have a baby right now" so it gets aborted.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:29 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,850,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
It was the opinions of many people that eventually turned the tide of slavery. Hopefully in the future, with the aid of technology, the tide will be turned against abortion.
The tech exists now. The right doesn't want us to use it. See Limbaugh's rant about Sandra Fluke.

A lot of those on the right, the pro-life (except for the death penalty) crowd bring up convenience as a reason many get abortions, which frankly, is BS. There's not a woman in the world who has had an abortion just for the convenience of it. Let the zealots and misogynists make laws prohibiting abortion. Let Liberals and those like myself lead the efforts to provide sex education, contraception, child care, maternity leave, and the many other women's health and rights issues that should be already implemented not sabotaged. Make those things happen and abortion will become rare as hen's teeth.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:41 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,850,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
If the President of the United States is supposed to be an example to follow
He isn't. And if you're a follower who thinks any President (whether it be Obama, Clinton, Bush, Reagan, Fillmore, Whoever) is supposed to be an example to follow, you're probably the type of person that was inspired by your High School Principal.

Old 01-31-2015, 05:12 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,526,094 times
It a fact a lot of abortion clinics set up shop near universities. When women who are working on a degree become pregnant, they get an abortion. They don't have time, they want to get that degree. I would say that is an abortion for convenience.

Old 01-31-2015, 05:39 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,815,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So you quite passionately believe with heart and soul that somehow pregnant women must be forced to give birth against their wills. Failing that, every woman who gets an abortion must be arrested for murder and allowed a trial by jury, if she wants to plead innocent.
I believe a woman should be able to do as she damn well pleases. Just not at government expense, or government funded expense, or government supported expense, or not at any government facility, or government supported facility, or any government involvement whatever that would include any fund derived from a taxpayer. But MUST comply with federal and state government standards of safety and accountability. And without vocal or visual opposition from disagreeing parties.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:42 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,223,815 times
Quote:
It a fact a lot of abortion clinics set up shop near universities. When women who are working on a degree become pregnant, they get an abortion. They don't have time, they want to get that degree. I would say that is an abortion for convenience.
And by getting that degree they stand a much better chance of not being on welfare so in the future when they are ready to have children they are in a financial position to do so. I would say that looking out for your future is a good reason for many people.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:00 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,643,127 times
Quote:
Yes. It can be , easily, seen as such. What I, personally, see in such instances, is abortion being used as a primary form of birth control. Not in every such case, but enough, so as to raise my eyebrows. I worked with a girl, once, who was an example of that, to the extreme. In the year that she worked there, she had four abortions. She was a sick person. Unabashed in talking about it, even though nobody wanted to hear her ravings.

She flat stated that abortion was her chosen method of birth control, because she was "allergic" to the pill, condoms were like "showering with your socks on" and implanted devices ala IUD caused cancer. This girl was nuts! She moonlighged as a stripper, would have sex, with total strangers , and getting pregnant, was indeed, just an inconvenience for her. Had to take time out of her busy schedule to go to the clinic. Who knows how many times she did this, and here she was, worried about possible damage from an IUD?

As I said, hers was an extreme case, but there are others, like her, out there. Such ...abuse...does make me wonder if some sort of limits are missing from the "system". Such irresponsible behavior is right at being criminal.

With all the options for birth control that are available today, having to abort a pregnancy, for non life threatening reasons, should be rare as the prior mentioned hens teeth. I realize that BC methods do fail, but, not in such high percentage as to justify the number of abortions performed each year. I'm not going to take a stance for outlawing the procedure, but, I do not believe it should be allowed to be used as a primary BC method.

Any woman who has as many abortions as the one I mention here should be forced to have her tubes tied.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:45 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,059,960 times
Quote:
Yea, let's move clinics, a major source of BIRTH CONTROL, far far away from universities where there is a concentration of young people having sex.

Another brilliant idea from the pro-life camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies