Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 10:55 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Key words: WELL REGULATED

Adam Lanza should not be given the privilege of owning firearms. Really common sense stuff.
Well regulated MILITIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 10:56 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
hoplophobia, look it up, and then see your favorite therapist.
You really do have to wonder why some people are afraid of firearms. Generally speaking, a gun is no more dangerous than the person using it (or failing to secure it).

Some folks see a fellow with a gun walk in and think, "Oh, no, it could be a robber or a nutcase or a hothead or some other bad guy."

If they would just take a few minutes to talk with the gun carrier, they might be surprised to learn that it is actually a highly trained, peaceable citizen who intends no harm whatsoever. A gun is simply a tool for shooting someone, including yourself. How people get from that to a fear of firearms is hard to understand.

6,848 posts, read 7,998,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Well regulated MILITIA.
Militia = National Guard

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
No, I didn't serve.

Why don't you read my posts about the troops and war? I've posted my views many times on CD.

I'll summarize them.

We should have never gone into Iraq or Afghanistan.

We should not be the world police.

We should only go to war or send troops when there is a direct threat against us.

We need to close all of our foreign bases and bring all of our troops home.

You can decide if you feel I support our troops or not, but I believe I do. I feel my desire to not have them risk life and limb for political posturing and exporting our way of life is supporting the troops. I feel that each time I thank them for their service is supporting them. I feel that when I give to organizations that help them, I am supporting them. I feel that the times I've had donations drives at work and sent care packages, I was supporting them. I feel that whenever I correspond to an elected official that I state we need our troops home instead destroying them overseas, I am supporting them.

If you believe I can only support them if I've served, then I think it's only fair to ask if you support them and have served.
well, then you and I have similar views.

At the first, I believed we had the reason to go to Iraq, then I changed my mind about it.

I have NEVER implied that if you have not personally served, you are anti military.

But some certainly believed that if you are anti-war, then you must be anti military.

I found that view pretty absurd.

Also, back to the gun debate, It is also absurd to me that a loser like Adam Lanza should be given equal right of owning firearms.

He had no right bearing firearms.

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post
The NRA is wrong: Owning a gun is far more likely to harm you than protect you.
Good guy with a gun myth: Guns increase the risk of homicide, accidents, suicide.

It seems so obvious: more guns, more bullets flying, more death.
It seems to me the reluctance of some Americans to accept the facts on guns-and-death data is the same kind of intellectual vapor lock that makes them buy lottery tickets.
I declare a holy war started
Yes the second you buy a gun it magically plays with your mind and turns you into a psychopathic murder!

Lmfao, oh you guys are cute.... gotta say though this is a better argument than your guys' other arguments.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:57 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,232,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Abortion has many limits, but you are in violation of the site rule about hijacking a thread. Stay on the subject.
Hijacking? Really? Just pointing out the fact that limits on rights seems to be subjective on the left.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:57 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,085,641 times
Quote:
There is a myth that most people who are killed are victims of a career criminal. A very large % are killed by relatives and acquaintances. Five minutes before that person's shoots he/she is one of the NRA's "good guys."
Ever notice that with all of these so called "good guy" gun toters that they rarely, if ever, get a shot off when another gun toter goes berserko? Always thought that sort of laid to rest the "if they enter my house I will gun them down before they know what him them" chatter.

And yes, every day we hear/read about the "good guys" gun shooting someone all by itself.

Sadly, there is only one way to eliminate our gun problem and that is to rid society of this scourge. It will take a hundred years to get rid of them all but down the road, someone's great, great grandchild might live because of it.

And that second amendment rhetoric...read it...study it, and then look at how it has been interpreted by the courts at the highest level (not what the gun manufacturers at the NRA are feeding you). With certain few exceptions, the courts have ruled that it does nothing to empower an individual nor protect an individuals right to carry a firearm.

And from a practical perspective, why on earth would anyone in America need to walk around carrying a gun? If you wish to be a sport hunter, secure your guns at a source; check them out, check out the ammunition, check them back in with the remaining ammunition or casings, and go on your way. That protects you, your guns and the rest of us who have less than complete confidence that many gun handlers have a clue as to how to responsibly own a weapon.

Last edited by Ted Bear; 01-26-2015 at 11:05 AM..

Old 01-26-2015, 10:58 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,522,129 times
Quote:
Militia = National Guard
Boy, you REALLY have no clue what you're talking about.

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
well, If you wanted to quote me, quote the whole thing. I stand behind my words, and always will.

yes, I especially hate those who say they are pro military, but will never JOIN the military themselves, will never send their own children to the military. Yet, have no problems sending OTHER people's sons and brothers to war.
Is that what you said? No. Here is your direct quote:

Quote:
My own brother was a Marine. I hate war absolutely I do. You have a problem with that? I especially hate those who say they support the troops, but will NEVER join the military themselves. At the same time, they have no problems sending my brothers and my friends to war. Yes, I hate them.

3,216 posts, read 2,232,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Here we have yet another thread that shows us all that liberals and insanity go hand in hand.
Mentioning the Second Ammendment whips them into a particular frenzy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies