Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 11:23 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
And that is the takeaway form this brouhaha. It's how it always happens.

I used to climb rocks - back then we were considered a slightly odd, mildly suicidal, but ultimately harmless group of people.

Then people start behaving stupidly - trample plants, drill in bolts wherever, I've seen odious people paint the holds on a route. And so property owners, park managers etc. start to regulate and control access, because what else can they do?

With GPS enabled drones at a few thousand bucks, it was just a matter of time before somebody with more money than sense did something really stupid.
Great post. The problem being of course that the biggest morons will likely still do it.

They've had this problem with all kinds of things going back for ages.

Used to be able to buy dynamite for clearing stumps.

Then you had the lasers the goofballs were pointing at planes etc.

Throw in the exotic animal craze, especially snakes in Florida and on and on and on.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 11:28 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,730,610 times
I just heard on the news that the Secret Service didn't see the drone, they just found it crashed on the WH lawn. If that's true, I'm surprised there isn't some sort of alert over the air space at the WH. Or maybe there is, but it's not made to alarm at something as small as a drone.

That's kind of scary considering drones can carry bombs. Hopefully this incident will encourage them to rethink security measures.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:28 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFWUlObSgn0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdgvlHH3JSA

Old 01-26-2015, 11:36 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Drones the size of a pigeon could deliver a devastating explosive.

Now image dozens of them decending on a single target from multiple vectors.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:40 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post

That's kind of scary considering drones can carry bombs.

An electronic grenade release! Pull the pin. Take off and drop your payload on target.

I like it!

I may have to get one of these to play with down on the farm and a Hog problem I have.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:41 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
True...but it could be a 'test probe' too, and must be treated that way, no?.
Of course. Hence my remark.

I don't think that the bad guys are giving away their plans by sending in test machines. That would be pretty stupid, and these guys are many things, but stupid isn't high on the list.

This was almost certainly some bozo who thought he was being funny or clever or something. Jerks like that are going to kill this hobby before it even gets going.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:44 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,520,506 times
Quote:
I just heard on the news that the Secret Service didn't see the drone, they just found it crashed on the WH lawn. If that's true, I'm surprised there isn't some sort of alert over the air space at the WH. Or maybe there is, but it's not made to alarm at something as small as a drone.

That's kind of scary considering drones can carry bombs. Hopefully this incident will encourage them to rethink security measures.
The SS probably wants to get rid of obama too.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:

Anything powerful enough to carry a bomb worth trying to get in there will most certainly trigger whatever defenses they've set up. That would be a pretty big aircraft.

I don't know what model it was that they found, but most drones are only about a foot or a foot and a half in diameter, can't carry much weight beyond the drone itself and have a flight time under 20 minutes (most are under 10).

"Drones" used by the public (we prefer the term "quadcopter" but I realize that fight is already lost) are NOT the same drones used by the military, and bear no resemblance to them whatsoever.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Drones the size of a pigeon could deliver a devastating explosive.
Which drones? What kind of explosive?

I own several of these aircraft, and I have some serious issues with what you wrote. Can they be used to deliver <whatever> to a location? Sure. The weight of that <whatever> is an ENORMOUS factor, though, and a drone "the size of a pigeon" would have practically no lift for carrying any kind of cargo.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:52 AM

4,582 posts, read 3,408,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Idiots doing this kind of crap are going to ruin the hobby for everyone.
I was wondering if the feds set this up to manufacture an excuse.

There already was a Pirates game interrupted by drones this year: The drone has a camera that was utilized by fans to watch the game at a tailgate party a few blocks away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies