Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are American men becoming feminized?
Yes, men are. 181 44.80%
No, They are not. 70 17.33%
American women are becoming more masculine 53 13.12%
Men and women are just closer to equality 101 25.00%
This is a society trend or fad that will fade 35 8.66%
Other 17 4.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 404. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 07:36 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
I thought this thread was DEAD!!!

Anyway, for you Yeledaf!!

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d... (broken link)
Cara Giaconda:

I and my Y-chromosomes thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 09:26 PM

20,326 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Please detail for me what political, social, economic, or civil rights do men have that women do not have here in America.
You obviously haven't taken the correct courses in the "Womyn's Studies" curriculum now, have you?

Old 02-29-2008, 09:35 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,286 times
Trust me,
3 years in the army , one in nam,
25 years in a squad car in an inner city
Im not the poster child for
"being in touch with your inner self"
Ive had to use deadly force a few times and I didnt need "outreach" counseling for days afterwards.
Nor did I become a drunk to hide my emotions. I just dealt with it.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:02 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
You obviously haven't taken the correct courses in the "Womyn's Studies" curriculum now, have you?
No, I guess I am just the quintessential gesticulating, grunting, knuckle dragging ape man because I don't understand the comment by another poster below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acupunk View Post
It is too bad that women have yet to achieve equal political, economic, social, and civil rights, aka egalitarianism.
Maybe this is 1900 or even still 1960 and I have fallen into some kind of time warp, I don't know. Maybe I am just simply mistaken and unclear on the laws and social structures in American society. I do not deny that there are still inequalities between genders and quite frankly, I hope there will always remain distinct differences between them.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:37 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
The comment was meant to point out that egalitarianism doesn't mean the "same", it can be used to celebrate differences without judging them as more or less important. The purpose of equal rights and egalitarianism is to level the playing field so the best person for any task can pursue it and achieve success w/o discrimination, not make men and women the same. I'm going out to enjoy my weekend and I'm probably going to wear a dress, then Monday I will go to my business, make money and pursue my passion in life because I am fortunate enough to live in this time and this country. Many women aren't as fortunate as I am in this world.

Last edited by detshen; 03-01-2008 at 05:44 PM..

Old 04-01-2008, 08:05 PM

3 posts, read 3,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I don't think the OP was saying that being a boy meant freedom to act like a jerk. I think the post was referring to the fact that things like competition are no longer valued and that we don't keep score. Kids are not allowed to "play rough." Believe it or not, there is a difference between boys and girls. Some of this is socialized, but there are hormonal differences that bring on differences in behavior. Increased testosterone in boys brings on more aggressive play. If we choose to ignore this and expect boys and girls to play the same, then we are ignoring some real differences and not allowing for some natural variation. Having said that, this does not mean condoning the pulling of hair, but an assault charge might be a little much.

Agreed. Geez the boys gotta learn somehow how to get the girls to like them. Its trial and error. I think her kicking him in the balls would be more than sufficient for a boy to get the message. No need to file criminal lawsuits.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
I think any woman who has a corporate job, would disagree with you. Business behavior was defined by men in business.

Success is defined in male terms. (money, status). Why isn't success defined as raising really good children? (For example.)
It is defined in one route to success as "raising really good children." I think a lot of "modern" women have simply been brainwashed into degrading that route to success. And, then again, many haven't, and I have much respect for those women.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
annibelle, do you REALLY think the feminist movement is all about "free love" ????

For pete's sake people had lots of sex since there were people! NOT just since the 60's!!!

Of course it's hard to "have it all", it always has been! And some realize it and don't try to do it all......why does what a WOMAN wants ALWAYS have to revolve around a husband and kids! It doesn't ...she can CHOOSE!

But subscribing roles for human beings is worse than treating them like animals. MEN don't have to make choices between family and their career! Should women just take a bottle of Paxil , bow, and do their "duty"?

There is NO confusion about roles....human should do what they want to do.

WHY do you think feminists want you to do it alone???That's just stupid to think that way! You (luckily) can afford to stay at home...how lovely...not everybody can or should...it doesn't make you better! Just richer.

Before FEMINISTS got laws changed a man could throw his wife out into the street, take her children away from her and never pay a dime of support. Any money she made was her husband's or her father's . She couldn't own land. It was legal for her husband to beat her! She couldn't vote!
Her ONLY choices in life were housewife/mother/spinster/hooker/teacher.

Is THAT what you want ???!!!!!
What a lovely life that must've been!

Now please, in the next election don't vote! Feminists got you that right and you don't deserve it.
In response to your statement: "MEN don't have to make choices between family and their career!" You are way wrong. Of course they do. Many men would prefer to be doing something different with their lives, than what they are doing now -- doing it because they have to support a wife and children (or just the children in a divorce or otherwise separated situation.) Men have to choose to do the "honorable thing" or not the "honorable thing" driven even far more than women nowadays by social expectations that are ages old -- norms that were not changed by a Roe v. Wade for men, for example. Women can "choose" to have child or not. Men are stuck with her choice, and must make that honorable choice or not.

Contrary to popular belief, the overwhelming majority of men make the honorable decision, and the concrete impact of that choice shows in the higher number of hours per week and the employment rate that men with children (and wives) to support work in the formal labor market versus men who either don't have children, or choose not to support their children.

I am 38 years old, and one big difference I have found between men and modern women in those nearly 4 decades, is that every hardship, every sacrifice a woman makes, she demands recognition and celebration, every mistake she makes, she begs for excuses. Men plod along, doing what they can, when they can, trying to uphold those age old expectations often against odds that women don't recognize -- and we sometimes fail as humans do.

That is the fatal weakness of feminism, though. It sought to elevate the grievances of one of the sexes and dismiss any grievance of the other. Its an unbalanced world view. The old ways had its good points and bad points, for both men and women. Mothers Day and Fathers day are not too far off. Remember your daddies and your mommies equally. They both made hard choices -- even for some of you on this blog whose daddy or mommy wasn't around.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:04 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,916,948 times
I think men are more feminine than they want people to think. Women wear pants now, and cut their hair off, and fulfill all of the roles that a man has historically. Women are more open to expressing their masculine side, but men historically have equated femininity to weakness, and it so is not the case. There's nothing wrong with letting boys be boys.. and girls be girls.. if sally wants to go play football.. pad the girl up and let her go.. and if jimmy wants to play with barbies...get the boy a the matching "barbie dream car"... I guess my point is.. everyone has different levels of masculinity and femininity, and it has very little to do with sexuality most of the time. Society is what makes people feel like they have to be a certain way.. get rid of those societal rules..and let people be who they are... don't demonize masculinity.. and don't pity or mock femininity...

Old 04-02-2008, 05:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Women should be women and men should be men. Simple, if you allow for all the range and variation individuals of either sex can manifest. Under no circumstances should they be treated differently under the LAW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies