Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are American men becoming feminized?
Yes, men are. 181 44.80%
No, They are not. 70 17.33%
American women are becoming more masculine 53 13.12%
Men and women are just closer to equality 101 25.00%
This is a society trend or fad that will fade 35 8.66%
Other 17 4.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 404. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 03:09 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,025,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Than explain how come the generation that grew up watching Father Knows Best had the highest rates of divorce ever while the generation that grew up watching the Simpsons(it's been on for over 20 years now--I was watching it when I was 9, now I'm 30) now has the lowest rates of divorce since the 1960s.
I don't buy those statistics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
That a relatively small number of people lived up to even in the 1950s. Certainly the cast of the show didn't live up to those ideals in real life. They were actors and actresses playing roles.

The 1950s TV sitcom that probably came the closest to reflecting reality at the time was The Honeymooners, and it's no coincidence that it holds up better than Father Knows Best does.

If there had been less censorship back then you would've seen it then. 1950s America did love the movies based on Tennessee Williams' plays which presented pretty much the polar opposite of what shows like Father Knows Best and Beaver depicted, even if those films were tamer than what was in the plays due to the Hays Code.

IMO those shows did warp an entire generation of kids who actually thought they were real, and did much more damage than the TV shows of that era that the censors wanted to ban like The Untouchables or various westerns, mainly because kids wouldn't have confused those shows with their reality. (I'm not advocating that the family sitcoms should've been censored or banned, just that they should've been balanced out by different material.)

LOL! That reminds me of Saddam Hussein's propaganda broadcasts to US troops during the Gulf War: "while you're out here fighting, your girlfriend is sleeping with Bart Simpson"

There are still good role models for kids, you just have to go out and find them.
Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree because I don't think that whole generation was "warped," that's just your opinion; not mine.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:22 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,498,236 times
Modern Popular Music/Media is causing a lot of probems in making dudes soft.

Music - Then:

Music - Now:

Media - Then:

Media - Now

Old 05-23-2010, 03:39 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree because I don't think that whole generation was "warped," that's just your opinion; not mine.
I don't think the entire generation was warped. But enough of them to confuse TV with reality.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I don't think the entire generation was warped. But enough of them to confuse TV with reality.
Thanks for correcting yourself.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:55 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post

Music - Then:

Music - Now:

Media - Then:

Media - Now
Very convincing comparisons

Old 05-24-2010, 07:15 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,547,689 times

then

now

Old 05-24-2010, 07:25 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post

Music - Then:

Music - Now:

Media - Then:

Media - Now
Oh, the poor uneducated....they don't know that at one time men wore wigs, tight pants that tied in a bow at their knees and silk stockings...sorta like the first President......

We survived....

Old 05-24-2010, 07:31 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Personally I hope men get more like women....they would learn that losing a spouse or loved one through divorce or a break up is really not justification for shooting them.

They might learn negotiating skills instead of having a "just shoot them all" attitude.

They might learn to do several things at once.

They might bear pain more stoically.

They might learn how to take care of their most precious responsibility ..their children.

They may become more courageous.

They may live longer.

They may have more friends...real friends.

They may have better marriage skills.

The assumption that men becoming more like women is a bad thing is a pretty good indication of how backwards SOME people are.....

Old 05-24-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Personally I hope men get more like women....they would learn that losing a spouse or loved one through divorce or a break up is really not justification for shooting them.

They might learn negotiating skills instead of having a "just shoot them all" attitude.

They might learn to do several things at once.

They might bear pain more stoically.

They might learn how to take care of their most precious responsibility ..their children.

They may become more courageous.

They may live longer.

They may have more friends...real friends.

They may have better marriage skills.

The assumption that men becoming more like women is a bad thing is a pretty good indication of how backwards SOME people are.....
Spoken like a true feminist. Now, do you have a list of "male traits" that women becoming more like men will become better off for having? Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies