Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 09:01 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,953,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
This morning we learn that "Intellegence" suggests the Jordanian pilot was likely killed a month ago, +/- . What followed has been theatre.

Back when, Congress and the people were lulled into the perception that the U.S. engagement in Iraq was projected to be months and that costs would be negliable. Iraq was a wealthy country and the war would pay for itself. This from the Bush Admin's senior advisors.

The actual spending was primarily funded with supplimental and emergency appropriations over time. Bush did not make any domestic spending cuts to offset the actual cost of war. Taxes were cut to make the people feel better. The people don't pay attention to growing deficits when their taxes have been cut.

The people were spared pain and sacrifice to fund the war. 100,000 contractors were hired to side step a draft.

I understand war is not certain. How many would have supported The Iraq War if their crystal ball showed them the future cost of lives and money. The U.S. will be paying interest on the war debt incurred for generations. And when interest rates rise........Veteran benefits will have incremental costs for 60 years.

There is no quick and dirty solution in the Middle East or anywhere else. This is a global financial war certainly not limited to the Middle East. As we know , The Pentagon can't account for where the money went or will go. We know there's contractor corruption but no one says who or how much. It is what it is.

I was and remain a strong advocate for a flat war tax on all gross income- no exceptions. The people need to experience the financial pain of war instead of kicking the entire can into the future and blaming.
The one thing I remember President Bush saying, " go out and spend." As President Bush was sending our finest off to war, he was asking people to party and not pay attention. The worst part it is exactly what "the people" did and years later our real estate was in shambles and welfare on the rise. Not to speak about the student loans, credit card debt and many dead Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 09:09 AM

46,991 posts, read 26,047,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
I think some Muslims leaders have been searching for a way to take on the Islamofascists, without being accused of being a surrogate of the US, this disgusting and barbaric execution gives them that.
One hopes. It is a different situation when actual neighboring Muslim country with a 100% undisputed interest in the outcome joins in. I hope the US (and others) are putting intel, technology, spare parts, whatever is needed into the hands of the Jordanians right now.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:11 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,953,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Lt. Muath Al-Kaseasbeh would probably disagree. Of course, he was killed in barbaric fashion while fighting ISIS. What have you done in that respect?
As Americans what can we do? It is up to the people we vote in to take care of business. I am sure if ISIS comes to America the Americans who have weapons will take care of the rest that want all guns banned in America........European Police Chiefs Say Why Gun Control Is Not Working | The Federalist Papers

It was kind of obvious when the French police were using hunting guns to fight terrorist.

Semi-automatic and automatic firearms are banned, but that hasn’t stopped drug dealers and terrorists from acquiring them in increasing numbers, according to the National Observatory for Delinquency, a state body created in 2003 by then-Interior Minister and later President Nicolas Sarkozy. The numbers of illegal weapons in France have increased by double digits for years, the body says.

Paris Killings Show Rise of Banned French

Old 02-04-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
As Americans what can we do?
Abstain from calling a dead Muslim hero a savage would be a start.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:19 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,467,426 times
Quote:
Abstain from calling a dead Muslim hero a savage would be a start.
Nobody is calling him a savage for starters.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Nobody is calling him a savage for starters.
Oh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I refer to all of islam as savages. I call them what they are without reservation. Even when islam is trying to be normal they'll still chop off peoples hands, stone them to death and behead them all in the name of sharia law. They are SAVAGES, BLOODY FLIPPIN' SAVAGES!!!!
You are aware that the pilot was Muslim, right?

Old 02-04-2015, 09:26 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,689,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
We should all see this on national news, there are quite a few people in this country who really need to watch this whether they want to or not.

This is the cold hard truth behind what we are facing not just in the Middle East but everywhere on this planet. Don't for one minute believe that there aren't radical islamist here in the US that would do the exact same thing to a captures American pilot or any American for that matter if given the opportunity.
Another incident that was overshadowed by the treatment by ISIS for the Japanese and Jordanian prisoners, was the murder of a man for being gay. They threw him of a building, he survived, so a crowd gathered around him and stoned him to death.

Blindfolded Gay Man Thrown Off Tower By ISIS Survives Fall, Stoned To Death By Syrian Villagers-The Gaily Grind

ISIS seems to kill a few gay men each month:

Another 'Gay' Man Thrown From Building, Stoned to Death by ISIS | Advocate.com| Dec, 11, 2014

Old 02-04-2015, 09:27 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,689,942 times
Quote:
Oh?

You are aware that the pilot was Muslim, right?
Oh, well, that makes a difference, guess those ISIS Islamists are not savages after all.

I'm sure most of the gay men who have been murdered were Muslim too, does that change things at all for you?

Old 02-04-2015, 09:29 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,797,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
Somehow I'm just not seeing the peace in the Religion of Peace.... What could I be missing here?
How is it the good Christians of Germany and other parts of Europe stood bye and enabled the Nazis to do what they did ? If my recollection is correct, only Denmark rounded up their Jewish population and transferred them to neutral Sweden. Unlike many of their counterparts in Europe, they did not loot the properties and bank accounts of their Jewish citizens.

How is it that Hitler was able to captivate and recruit the Christain youth of Germany to implement his national plan while families somehow rationalized what was going on?

The terrorists have been killing a lot more Muslims than anyone else. Youth is being recruited with higher compensation and benefits than they could otherwise achieve.

When your life really sucks there is a predisposition to blame and an increased openness to embrace and rationalize an alternative.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:34 AM

57,369 posts, read 26,285,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
I think some Muslims leaders have been searching for a way to take on the Islamofascists, without being accused of being a surrogate of the US, this disgusting and barbaric execution gives them that.
That is a great point and part of the reason the US walks the line with our involvement, they do not want to give any perception that this is our war nor do they want to tie this in to the Muslim religion. This truly needs to be their war and the worst thing we could do is send in ground forces bas some have suggested, if recent events didn't motivate them nothing will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies