Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 08:50 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times

Advertisements

National sex trafficking sting nets nearly 600 arrests before Super Bowl - LA Times

Police and FBI in 17 states wrapped up a 2 week massive sting operation on Super Bowl Sunday. Just under 600 were arrested, according to the LA Times link. Of the 600, 570 were 'johns' responding to phony on-line ads. They arrested 23 on suspicion of 'sex trafficking' and 'rescued' 14 juveniles.

They don't define what they mean by 'trafficking' but my definition is enslavement, i.e. forced prostitution. In my experience, this is quite rare in the US. We passed a state anti-trafficking law in 2003. There were zero convictions under the law until Nov. 2009. I think there has been one more since then.

Of course we should go after both underage prostitution and trafficking, but if those are the real targets, this operation was a monumental failure. The numbers from the LAT show about that cops hit the target at a rate of .06 rate (37/607). I hope these cops hit more than 1 of 16 targets when at the range.

I am a little skeptical of the 'rescued' label that cops apply to the juveniles and media dutifully regurgitates in every news story now. I doubt that many, if any, of these kids are going to be 'rescued.' They either end up in some hellhole detention facility, where they learn how not to get caught, or they are turned back out on the streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 12:31 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
.........They don't define what they mean by 'trafficking' but my definition is enslavement, i.e. forced prostitution. In my experience, this is quite rare in the US. We passed a state anti-trafficking law in 2003. There were zero convictions under the law until Nov. 2009. I think there has been one more since then.

Various sites have a different opinion.

FBI — Human Trafficking
http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/226849.pdf
(United States starting p. 397)
Human Trafficking
(above from UNODC)

Old 02-04-2015, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Various sites have a different opinion.

FBI — Human Trafficking
http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/226849.pdf
(United States starting p. 397)
Human Trafficking
(above from UNODC)

Where is the difference? I define trafficking as forced prostitution. Your first link talks about "forced to work as prostitutes" and "modern day slaves." Where is the difference? As far as I can tell we are in agreement. There should be no tolerance for trafficking, and every law enforcement resource should be brought to bear to quash it.

But do we agree that the 15 of 16 cases where consenting adults are involved should be left alone?

Old 02-04-2015, 02:47 AM

172 posts, read 239,491 times
Quote:
I am a little skeptical of the 'rescued' label that cops apply to the juveniles and media dutifully regurgitates in every news story now. I doubt that many, if any, of these kids are going to be 'rescued.' They either end up in some hellhole detention facility, where they learn how not to get caught, or they are turned back out on the streets.
If I'm not mistaken, any time the prostitute is a minor, its consider a 'rescue' and that's fine by me, but the devil's in the details. Often times, just like 'children killed by gunfire', they are 16, 17 year old willing participants with long track records of high risk behavior.

Obviously, as young kids, you hope they get help and are shown the right path but the 'rescue' image paints a portrait of a terrified child kept in slave-like conditions when the reality is more like a 16 year old crack addict who, in spite of statutory considerations regarding age and the ability to consent, is still making these decisions of their own free will, clouded though their judgement may be.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:57 AM

672 posts, read 789,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAugustine View Post
If I'm not mistaken, any time the prostitute is a minor, its consider a 'rescue' and that's fine by me, but the devil's in the details. Often times, just like 'children killed by gunfire', they are 16, 17 year old willing participants with long track records of high risk behavior.

Obviously, as young kids, you hope they get help and are shown the right path but the 'rescue' image paints a portrait of a terrified child kept in slave-like conditions when the reality is more like a 16 year old crack addict who, in spite of statutory considerations regarding age and the ability to consent, is still making these decisions of their own free will, clouded though their judgement may be.
Whoa there. No one, and let me repeat this, NO ONE, wants to be enslaved, no one wants to work endless hours for no pay because their john takes all the money and no one wants to get beaten because their john thinks that they didn't make enough money.

Sure, a lot of these kids were runaways, many of them running away from bad situations at home/foster care, but the vast majority of these kids are being coerced into prostitution, for the most part, these kids are not free lancers who are out there performing sex acts and pocketing the money for drugs. The johns find these kids, offer them shelter, a warm meal, but then basically enslave them.

Exposing The Forced Prostitution And Human Trafficking Of American Children | ThinkProgress

Sex Trafficking Statistics & Source Documentation « The Covering House

Your idea of reality is the exception.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:06 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
National sex trafficking sting nets nearly 600 arrests before Super Bowl - LA Times

Police and FBI in 17 states wrapped up a 2 week massive sting operation on Super Bowl Sunday. Just under 600 were arrested, according to the LA Times link. Of the 600, 570 were 'johns' responding to phony on-line ads. They arrested 23 on suspicion of 'sex trafficking' and 'rescued' 14 juveniles.

They don't define what they mean by 'trafficking' but my definition is enslavement, i.e. forced prostitution. In my experience, this is quite rare in the US. We passed a state anti-trafficking law in 2003. There were zero convictions under the law until Nov. 2009. I think there has been one more since then.

Of course we should go after both underage prostitution and trafficking, but if those are the real targets, this operation was a monumental failure. The numbers from the LAT show about that cops hit the target at a rate of .06 rate (37/607). I hope these cops hit more than 1 of 16 targets when at the range.

Need to get head out the sand- tap into DHS-ICE and see the statistics - it has gotten so big that now there are task-forces by locals and Feds uniting efforts to stop it- and rescue means rehabilitation as as so many are very young- it is much easier --- the pink elephant is in the room! just as child molesters they live in another city- not mine bla bla

Old 02-04-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Need to get head out the sand- tap into DHS-ICE and see the statistics - it has gotten so big that now there are task-forces by locals and Feds uniting efforts to stop it- and rescue means rehabilitation as as so many are very young- it is much easier --- the pink elephant is in the room! just as child molesters they live in another city- not mine bla bla
So please explain to me how there were nearly 600 arrests here, there were only 14 instances of juvenile involvement? Link to confirm where any of these kids are sent to any kind of 'rehabilitiation?'

Old 02-04-2015, 03:54 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
So please explain to me how there were nearly 600 arrests here, there were only 14 instances of juvenile involvement? Link to confirm where any of these kids are sent to any kind of 'rehabilitiation?'
14-because the gals might already reached age- that does not mean they are free to
go...Superbowl usually ships the gilrs from other states, it is BIG organized crime and they fill the order as needed-- many states ( FL etc) have changed the laws to have the gals boys arrested but the judge flips them to rehab--
I will tell you of one case - the idiot had 4 gals working for him- 10 n up 21- and his trailer was raided and they found over 80,000 pills- of the worst kind- he made slaves out of these girls - but here-

The Victims | National Human Trafficking Resource Center

Human Interest Stories | Homeland Security

Trafficking in Persons Report 2013: Victims' Stories

Human Trafficking | Dream Center

HumanTrafficking.org | Combat Trafficking: Rehabilitation

I suppose you do not know how to Google--

Old 02-05-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
14-because the gals might already reached age- that does not mean they are free to
go...Superbowl usually ships the gilrs from other states, it is BIG organized crime and they fill the order as needed-- many states ( FL etc) have changed the laws to have the gals boys arrested but the judge flips them to rehab--
I will tell you of one case - the idiot had 4 gals working for him- 10 n up 21- and his trailer was raided and they found over 80,000 pills- of the worst kind- he made slaves out of these girls - but here-

The Victims | National Human Trafficking Resource Center

Human Interest Stories | Homeland Security

Trafficking in Persons Report 2013: Victims' Stories

Human Trafficking | Dream Center

HumanTrafficking.org | Combat Trafficking: Rehabilitation

I suppose you do not know how to Google--
Yes I know how to Google, but I am not fluent in gibberish.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:30 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bee View Post
Whoa there. No one, and let me repeat this, NO ONE, wants to be enslaved, no one wants to work endless hours for no pay because their john takes all the money and no one wants to get beaten because their john thinks that they didn't make enough money.

Sure, a lot of these kids were runaways, many of them running away from bad situations at home/foster care, but the vast majority of these kids are being coerced into prostitution, for the most part, these kids are not free lancers who are out there performing sex acts and pocketing the money for drugs. The johns find these kids, offer them shelter, a warm meal, but then basically enslave them.

Exposing The Forced Prostitution And Human Trafficking Of American Children | ThinkProgress

Sex Trafficking Statistics & Source Documentation « The Covering House

Your idea of reality is the exception.
Just an FYI... The term "John" refers to the client, the term "Pimp" or "Madam" is used to describe the person who finds,turns out, collects money from the hooker or sex worker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies