Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2015, 06:13 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
In the case of Gifford, where I did state that he didn't fire the gun, the fact that he had a gun may have given the confidence to go after the shooter. Just because you have a gun doesn't mean you have to use it for it to provide protection.

In the other cases, you miss the phrase "could have". In any of those cases a person with a gun in the right place could have put an end to it after the first shot was fired. Teachers of course, even when licensed, are not allowed to bring guns onto campus. So it's a very very relevant point.
No they aren't a relevant point because they DIDN'T happen. Anything could happen. Kickass, Rorschach, The Flash, Nightwing, Red Hood, Ant-Man, Luke Cage, Batman or Spider-Man could show up and stop the shooter. Seattle has Phoenix Jones, maybe he was in town and stopped them. A blackhole could pop up and suck up the gun or shooter. The shooter could have a heart attack. A truck could traffic check the shooter. Police could have intervened sooner. Hell, the shooter could have missed their shots altogether. There's too many branch theories to run down. The fact is because neither none of those possiblities nor your's of a gun being used, it IS IRRELEVANT.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:19 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,380 times
I will keep my guns, and ammo, thanks all the same. And I'm buying more this year. I'm more worried about tyranny at this point than being a victim of a non-government thug.

262 million people were killed by governments from 1900 to 2000 - and that includes 35 million killed by the USA and Great Britain in the second world war - most of them civilians. This is why we need guns, with high magazine capacities and plenty of ammo to defend our freedoms.

I bought my first gun in the 90s. It never killed anyone. It never got out of my hands and went out shooting children. I attended my first gun show and in that state you can carry guns (unloaded) into the show. No gun ever got up and shot me. Or anyone else, even though there were thousands of guns, including lots of AR-15s - my favorite.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:38 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
FANTASTIC!! kudos to you my friend.

Now I cannot ABIDE the idiocy of the pro gun lobby so that is all I wanted to say.

Well done, America, FINALLY you begin to see the light....!

Old 02-09-2015, 08:45 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
I don't know who taught you American history, but that person was a failure as a teacher.

Read The Federalist Papers, read Locke, look for "Natural rights". Read the history of how the "Bill of Rights" came to be, and why the bill of rights was controversial at the time. The US Constitution is a contract, in which we, the people, cede certain of our natural rights for the benefits an organized system of government should bring. The bill of rights enumerates certain natural rights explicitly retained by the individual citizens, which is why the 10th amendment reads:

Nothing in the constitution grants people rights. If any, the constitution is about giving up or delegating certain rights, not granting new ones.
EXACTLY. People wanting to debate our very foundation without knowing anything about it. That's what you get after one hundred years of Progressivism creep.

Of course they AREN'T teaching this in American History. In fact they want to teach "History Re-Imagined" where they rewrite it THEIR way. I think that charming idea came out of Syracuse U.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:51 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
I don't want to ban all firearms either, but you have to admit that places like the UK and Japan have very low rates of murder and gun violence.
Ahhh the UK.

Where they arrested a politician and put him in HANDCUFFS for quoting a speech made by Churchill.

I think you'll like it there if you don't like it here.

Meanwhile, I'll stick with the good old USA, thanks, Until ya'll succeed in fundamentally transforming it to be Cuba.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:03 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,109,938 times
Stats do show however that you're more likely to kill a friend or spouse sneaking up on you than you are to stop a home robbery.

If you want guns for hunting, fine. Leave them in a safe unloaded. Concealed carry permits are where I get uneasy unless there is some sort of reason (i.e. someone works night shift in a dangerous area etc). If you want to go to a gun range I don't care if you shoot bazookas as long as you're isolated and can't take your guns elsewhere.

Right to bear arms, means a right to form a militia. Not stockpile weapons in your closet.

That being said does anyone have any stats one how illegality affects gun deaths? I know the USA is by far the leader in world homicides by guns of all first world nations but the exact reason is hard to poinpoint. Other countries like Canada have lots of guns but aren't as violent.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:09 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeenThomas View Post
Hi there! I'm new here and i don't know what do you think about gun-usage.
Hope that it will be good thread and somebody will tell me why i'm wrong or why i'm right!

So, let's speak about gun control, gun ownership and mental health testing.
I often see articles with headlines like "Toddler shot his parents" or "Another shootings in *districtname*" and people in comments often write very stupid arguments to protect themselves and all of gun owners.
Also they like to write something like "Only mad and mentally-ill persons kill people, not guns"
But as we can see from this article Stop blaming mental health for gun violence. The problem is guns. - The Washington Post
only 4 percent of people which used guns was mentally ill.
And now i wanna know your opinion.

P.S. please, post some real arguments, not stats about ids died in swimming pools!
I have worked in trauma centers all my career.
Rarely see gun injuries. See many car injuries every single day.
Many a day.
Vs maybe a gun thing once or twice a year.

No one wants to make driving a car more difficult for people, make people have to be more qualified like they are in other countries, make punishment for drinking and driving more strict, etc. I think that this is a much bigger opportunity to save lives and save injuries, and no one wants to address it.

I see more toddlers injured and dead bc mommy has to have some stupid boyfriend that beats up her kids. But we let whoever wants to reproduce. And we let them expose their children to anything they want to.

I don't believe that you guys really want to save lives. You just want to control guns. If you were really interested in saving lives, you would do something about alcohol problems, drug problems, the problem with children not having parents, poor people just turning out children they can't take care of, etc.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:37 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,109,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Many a day.
I work in a trauma one center as well, what state are you in? Gun shot wounds occur several times a week (sometimes a night) here, and this isn't even a particularly high crime area. A few times a year we get people shooting themselves in the leg putting their guns in their concealed carry holster as well, it's pretty funny.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:10 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Many a day.

No one wants to make driving a car more difficult for people, make people have to be more qualified like they are in other countries, make punishment for drinking and driving more strict, etc. I think that this is a much bigger opportunity to save lives and save injuries, and no one wants to address it.

I see more toddlers injured and dead bc mommy has to have some stupid boyfriend that beats up her kids. But we let whoever wants to reproduce. And we let them expose their children to anything they want to.

I don't believe that you guys really want to save lives. You just want to control guns. If you were really interested in saving lives, you would do something about alcohol problems, drug problems, the problem with children not having parents, poor people just turning out children they can't take care of, etc.
We've tried fixing drugs and alcohol, it's called prohibition and rehabilitation and let me tell you, neither works/worked too well. Prohibition didn't work for alcohol in the 1920's because those who want drugs still get it anyway Coolidge even had his own stash and drugs now because of the same. Rehabilitation doesn't work because of the person. Sure there are the success stories from rehab but most return, just watch the Dr. Drew Celebrity Rehab and Sober House shows for reference. And also you have enablers too who create excuses, gives passes for mistakes and also gives drugs and alcohol willingly to those. As for what we could do, not much. Addiction is hard-wired into one's brain and caused by stress, trauma, genetic disposition, mental illness or even early use. The only way to fix it according to one expert (David Sheff) is to show compassion rather than policing and judging. http://www.takepart.com/article/2013...-drugs-alcohol

As for poor people turning out children, it's because of resources. In fact it it was found that instead of the old axiom of just socioeconomic status we had a high teen birthrate, but rather "despair." Now I know you're wondering, "Well what's 'despair?'" "Despair" is considered to be several things including income inequality and incarcerations Let's compare New Hampshire and the District of Columbia. NH is pretty relatively economically equal and has low crime rates while DC is the inverse, highly income inequal and crime infested. New Hampshire has a 19.6 per 1,000 teen birth rate compared to 47.7 per 1,000 births for DC. Part of this is because of resources to contraceptives (both before and after sexual contact) and abortions as well as family views on contraceptives and abortions (religion.) Also remember, conservatives think that public funding shouldn't go to contraception and abortion and the only solution to teen sex is abstinence.

As for abusive relationships (child or self), that's different because some people have nowhere to go. For every Rhianna who has resources to go elsewhere after Chris Brown was charged for domestic violence, there's others who cannot. It's not the easiest to pull things together and walk away especially when you aren't the breadwinner and perhaps unmarried (so all you could get is child support.)

I want driving under the influence of anything whether it is alcohol, an illegal drug, a prescribed medication or an over-the-counter medication that could affect driving ability to have a strict punishment too. Most times though we forget that medications are able to make drivers impaired.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:48 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,064,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I continually hear this nonsense about how Obama stripped American's right to bear arms. Please state the laws Obama changed. Last I checked, he changed nothing. Most states control their own laws regarding guns. I am tired of the gun nuts thinking Democrats are more against guns. Plenty of Democrats hunt you know. TONS of them.

I think gun owners should have a background check. I don't think that is asking too much. Owning a gun is a big responsibility. There are one heck of a lot of accidents involving guns. If you buy a car and license it to be on the road, you need to pass some basic skills to take that car on the road because someone might get killed as a result of no training. Same should be with guns. Just basic training. That isn't the same as, "he is taking our guns"!

I wish gun nuts could understand the difference, but man are many of them totally blind. Really to the point of sounding dumb. Yes, DUMB! Of course they will say, that is the start of the government taking our guns. What a crock of crap. Just moronic. Do you know how many hunters are in government? TONS! Stop being so idiotic.
Obama didn't pass any laws banning guns or curtailing gun rights. Republicans just like to lie about Obama all the time. If Obama said he loves Jesus then all the Republicans will start saying they hate Jesus. If Obama is for it, the Republicans are automatically against it. A lot of Republicans are racist they just don't admit to it. I sure hope Hillary wins in 2016.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies