Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2015, 08:22 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,846,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
A wise man once said that "Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

You would benefit from some study of the history of the Crusades. They are best characterized as a series defensive battles to take back land conquered by the Muslims over a period of some 4-500 years before the first crusade even occured.

So what is your plan then? To give ISIS free reign? To let them gather in strength, eventually leveraging Iran's nuclear weapons program? To sit down and talk with these animals the way Chamberlain talked with Hitler?

How many more innocents must die or be raped or be enslaved before we take action?

Dave
That is quite a leap you just made. I do believe terrorist organizations need to be confronted, but if it is done on the basis of our religion is better than yours then my prediction is that a lot more innocent lives of all faiths will be needlessly lost.

I don't see how anyone hearing Obama's Prayer Breakfast speech would come to a conclusion that he is about to propose shutting down operations against ISIL. But then I'm shocked at the warped interpretations of his speech that has led to threads like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 08:28 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Well, all religions have love and magnanimity as part of their creed.

Problem is, their adherents don't follow it. And speaking from an empirical standpoint, I've rarely ever seen it from Christians in this country.

I'll concede though that my experiences with Christians in Europe were far more genuine and favorable. My interactions with Muslims there were even better.

The only fairly positive interactions I've had with American Christians on a routine basis have been with Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses.

The rest leave me cold.
Sorry to hear they don't impress you.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Rofl. Love your neighbor is something feel good we're taught in sunday school. I cannot think of one era of human history it was actually practiced anywhere near fully by the faith.

The Bible is still full of violence.
It is taught in Sunday schools and churches because it is a core Christian teaching. Jesus said it was the 2nd of the greatest commandments. Loving God is #1.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:38 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,046 times
It would have been nice if Obama had mentioned that the crusades originally began in response to Muslim aggression.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:52 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
At what point is there going to be a thread on the meaning of what President OBama actually said and not what Republicans wanted him to say.
It's not just "Republicans" but many others who watched the whole thing and have a problem with:
- As always, he absolutely cannot bring himself to say "radical Islam" or "jihadists" or "in the name of Mohammed" or anything of the sort regarding almost all current terrorist activity in the news
- Yet, at the prayer breakfast had the need to chime in on long past gone misdeeds supposedly all done "in the name of Christ" that have nothing to do with what's going on now

Are either of these not true?

He also recently claimed in an interview that "99.9%" of Muslims don't believe jihad is ever justified, when we have well known polling clearly showing that is not true; he is either ignorant or lying. Yet he never had a problem taunting conservative Christians who as he said "cling to their guns and religion."

It's a HUGE double standard.

He's playing right into what conservatives were claimng years ago with him being a closeted Muslim and/or radical Islamic sympathizer who is embarrassed of, even somewhat hateful toward the country he is supposed to be leading. It was hard to believe then, but not so much anymore.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:53 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,013,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
That is quite a leap you just made. I do believe terrorist organizations need to be confronted, but if it is done on the basis of our religion is better than yours then my prediction is that a lot more innocent lives of all faiths will be needlessly lost.

I don't see how anyone hearing Obama's Prayer Breakfast speech would come to a conclusion that he is about to propose shutting down operations against ISIL. But then I'm shocked at the warped interpretations of his speech that has led to threads like this.
I disagree. Obama has taken no effective action against ISIS, and continues to take no effective action. He attaches Christ's name to the Crusades, but can't bring himself to acknowledge that ISIS commits atrocities in the name of Muhammad. His comments were clearly his way of telling people calling for action against ISIS to back down because they are no better.

Susan Rice gives a major foreign policy speech the next day and just about had to be taken to the hospital for a dislocated shoulder from patting herself on the back so hard for how great their foreign policy achievements have been. The reality is that Obama's foreign policy is directly responsible for the creation of ISIS. ISIS is nothing more than Iraqi insurgents who have morphed into ISIS in the vacuum left by our withdrawal from Iraq. The blood of all those killed and raped by ISIS is on Obama's hands.

I am not religious BTW, so I am not an apologist for any organized religion. Nothing I say here is based on a perspective that "my religion is better than yours." While I recognize that virtually all religions have been distorted at times and used for ill purposes, I also recognize the positive value that religions have brought to humanity and disparage no one who peacefully follows their religion.

Dave

Old 02-07-2015, 08:55 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is taught in Sunday schools and churches because it is a core Christian teaching. Jesus said it was the 2nd of the greatest commandments. Loving God is #1.
and yet American Christians seldom follow it. Large parts of the Christian community are overly concerned with how others live their lives. They also teach "Do not judge so that you will not be judged." Yet, they're so judgmental.

I sat through Sunday school for many years. It's the hypocrisy of religion that forced me to turn my back. IE gay marriage. I don't discuss my personal opinion of it, because that opinion doesn't matter. Its not something that causes me any harm or anyone else, so it is not my place to judge others or have an input on how two consenting adults choose to live their lives.

While parts of the Bible do lay great foundations for how individuals should live their lives, the churches interpretation and many individuals interpretations of the Bible corrupt it. Why I personally believe religion should be practiced in the home alone.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:02 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
I disagree. Obama has taken no effective action against ISIS, and continues to take no effective action. He attaches Christ's name to the Crusades, but can't bring himself to acknowledge that ISIS commits atrocities in the name of Muhammad. His comments were clearly his way of telling people calling for action against ISIS to back down because they are no better.

Susan Rice gives a major foreign policy speech the next day and just about had to be taken to the hospital for a dislocated shoulder from patting herself on the back so hard for how great their foreign policy achievements have been. The reality is that Obama's foreign policy is directly responsible for the creation of ISIS. ISIS is nothing more than Iraqi insurgents who have morphed into ISIS in the vacuum left by our withdrawal from Iraq. The blood of all those killed and raped by ISIS is on Obama's hands.

I am not religious BTW, so I am not an apologist for any organized religion. Nothing I say here is based on a perspective that "my religion is better than yours." While I recognize that virtually all religions have been distorted at times and used for ill purposes, I also recognize the positive value that religions have brought to humanity and disparage no one who peacefully follows their religion.

Dave
Fighting ISIS is none of our business. They're over there. We're over here.

Obama is doing too much...not "not enough."

Old 02-07-2015, 09:04 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,846,404 times
Quote:

Dave
So your complaint for the following statement is he did not say "in the name of Muhammad?"

"We see ISIL, a brutal, vicious death cult that, in the name of religion, carries out unspeakable acts of barbarism -- terrorizing religious minorities like the Yezidis, subjecting women to rape as a weapon of war, and claiming the mantle of religious authority for such actions."

FWIW, I am a Christian and I had no problem with what Obama said and did not feel I or my religion was being attacked. As a Christian I know that there are lots of actions performed by Christians in the name of the religion that should be criticized and denounced.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
His words: "We see ISIL, a brutal, vicious death cult that, in the name of religion, carries out unspeakable acts of barbarism -- terrorizing religious minorities like the Yezidis, subjecting women to rape as a weapon of war, and claiming the mantle of religious authority for such actions."

How you came to your conclusion is beyond logic and common sense. Which religion do you think he is referring to when talking about ISIS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies