Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 12:01 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I wasn't talking about Hitler, but Nazism. It could apply to any belief, that responds to verbal attacks on doctrine, with violence.

Minds and power.
Exactly, it could apply to any belief, which is why I thought it strange to choose Nazism. There are many examples, recent and historical, of religious terrorism. That's where we should be looking for comparisons, not Nazism. Northern Ireland, circa 1980 certainly has more in common with today's middle east than Nazi Germany.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 12:08 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Exactly, it could apply to any belief, which is why I thought it strange to choose Nazism. There are many examples, recent and historical, of religious terrorism. That's where we should be looking for comparisons, not Nazism. Northern Ireland, circa 1980 certainly has more in common with today's middle east than Nazi Germany.
Completely different, Northern Ireland is just an issue of historical national identity. Religion defines the historical identity - you should read up on it sometime..

Brownshirts and these freaks in Copenhagen, are both acting to defend/promote the status quo of their belief.

The reason I choose Nazism, is because the brownshirts defended the faith with violence, to the point that resistance became a very dangerous option.

Last edited by Joe90; 02-15-2015 at 12:25 AM..

Old 02-15-2015, 12:35 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Completely different, Northern Ireland is just an issue of historical national identity. Religion defines the historical identity - you should read up on it sometime..

Brownshirts and these freaks in Copenhagen, are both acting to defend the status quo of their core belief.

The reason I choose Nazism, is because the brownshirts defended the faith with violence, to the point that resistance became a very dangerous option.
I don't disagree with you Joe, but last I checked, we have Arab allies helping us fight ISIS. I believe they are Muslims. If you want to fight Islam, be my guest, but I think there are wiser paths.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:55 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times
Quote:
...I want a war on terror, not a holy war. That's what the jihadists want. Why would you want to give them that?
We aren't the only ones who get a vote on what kind of war it will be.

The Jihadists get a vote, too.

If they want holy war (and they do), then holy war it is at least as far as they are concerned.

If they win, then we're all dead meat whether or not we draw pictures of Mohammed.

I did draw a picture here (using little dashes) but realized that posting it would probably get me kicked off this site.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
The difference between cowardice and common sense is only recognized if you have common sense. Seems "some" have none, and it all looks the same to them. Didn't know that did you?
It wasn't common sense for the Germans to oppose Hitler. For the Russians to oppose Stalin. For the Cambodians to oppose Pol Pot. For the North Koreans to oppose Kim Jung Un. For the Chinese to oppose Mao.

So they mostly didn't, and it worked out really well for them, didn't it?

Old 02-15-2015, 01:04 AM

Quote:
...How religious violence compares to Hitler is beyond me.
the Jihadists want to create a world-wide Master Religion, just as Hitler wanted to create a Master Race.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:25 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
No, it doesn't. The IRA wanted the British out of Northern Ireland so they could integrate it with the rest of Ireland. They had no expansionist tendencies beyond that, did not persecute those with opposing beliefs, and did not consider what they were doing to be a religious crusade. They wanted the British out of what they considered to be their homeland and nothing more than that.

The Nazis wanted to build a worldwide empire based on their ideology and persecuted political dissidents.

The radical Muslims want to build a worldwide caliphate based on their ideology and persecute religious dissidents. They share much in common with Nazis and nothing in common with the IRA beyond being terrorists.

Old 02-15-2015, 04:28 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
So, I'm reading the news about the 2 attacks in Denmark yesterday and find the victims named but not the dead killer. Why?

"While the identity of the shooter was not released..."

Denmark attacks: Police kill gunman suspected in fatal shootings - CNN.com

Old 02-15-2015, 04:34 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
It's one thing to make a crude joke in private but when a crude offensive cartoon is published in a public
newspaper where you know it will be seen by the local Muslim population in Denmark that
isn't much different than walking into a mosque and shouting obscenities about their god.

Either way its tasteless and crude.

David Letterman once made a joke about a Muslim beauty pageant where the female contestants were
all wearing burkas which was pretty funny. And guess what no Muslim ever tried to attack him for it.
It was a funny joke but it didn't cross the line into the obscene and vulgar.
No, it wasn't. It was a cartoon. Nobody should be targeted for death because they draw a cartoon.

And quite honestly, I couldn't possibly care less if it offended someone. Satirical cartoonist offend almost everyone at some point. That's their job.

I'm glad to hear the shooter was killed by the police. Free speech wins again.

Old 02-15-2015, 04:59 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Default Copenhagen shootings: Police kill 'gunman' after two attacks

Denmark has the oppressive gun laws that American leftists see as utopia. How can this possibly happen then??!!

BBC News - Copenhagen shootings: Police kill 'gunman' after two attacks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies