Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever lived abroad?
Yes, for 0-6 months. 6 8.57%
Yes, for 6 months to two years. 12 17.14%
Yes for two years or more. 38 54.29%
No, never been abroad other than work travel or vacation. 14 20.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 04:53 PM

7,493 posts, read 6,284,225 times

Advertisements

I spent a year and a half in South Korea, courtesy of the US Army. The USA never looked so good, when I got home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 05:30 PM

10,836 posts, read 14,958,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
When I was there the local (Victor Charlie) unsafe level resulted in a firefight. Wish I would have had access to a shower instead of washing up in the river. But, this ain't a duck measuring contest.
Thank you for your service and welcome home.
We were young and warriors once.

Thank you for your service as well.

I seem to remember that photo was taken in the morning after laying off the trail in ambush all night. The area was near Ben Cat 50 miles north of Saigon. Like 95% if most nights nothing happened and I was fine with that.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:41 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,600,037 times
I lived for 4 years in England. It was from 69 to 73. My dad was navy and he was stationed over there.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:44 PM

59,315 posts, read 27,487,371 times
2 tours in Viet Nam

How did it shape my political views?

I was about 12 miles from the DMZ.

When President Johnson STOPPED the bombing of North Viet Nam we got bombed EVERY day. Spent about 3 weeks NOT in our "hootches" and doing our outside jobs to living in a bunker for those weeks eating WWII leftover C-rations.

After that experience I started getting interested in politics.

I've done a bit of world travel. Enough that I NEVER want to see another foreign country again.

I will NOT spend another dime in a foreign country.

There is MORE here to see then you can cover in a lifetime
Too many countries ONLY like us for OUR money.Spend your money in U.S.A.

I think every senior in high school should nave to visit for at least a week in a third world country.

They MIGHT appreciate what we have here better.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:48 PM

15,880 posts, read 21,485,709 times
I lived in England and Mexico each for 6 months and lived in Iceland for 4 months. All were part of my education/research or internships, not military. And each trip made me a little more ashamed to come home. If it was possible, I would permanently relocate to either the UK or Iceland but unforunately pesky immigration laws get in the way.

After my time abroad, I am just plain shocked when people call the US the best country in the world. We fall short on so many measures for no good reason other than this weird sense of American exceptionalism. As a result of my time abroad, I have become much more liberal - particularly with regards to our shameful access to healthcare.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:57 PM

22,674 posts, read 24,663,689 times
Spent a year on Okinawa, Japan.

Pretty neat place......many of the locals were NOT too hot about the Marines occupying their beautiful island. And for good reason.....man, there was quite a bit of crime committed by military, mainly Marines, when I was there.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:11 PM

9,884 posts, read 11,000,630 times
No.
Other than the military (VietNam), I have never been to any foreign country.
Oh, wait, I did make two trips to Canada, one in the 1950s, and a very brief one in 1962.
I have never been able to afford foreign travel. I certainly could never afford to live in a foreign country.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:32 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,731,268 times
I was stationed for a year in Panama. These were the days leading up to the Invasion, so going off-post was highly discouraged.

Followed up by two years in Germany (I asked for an ITT--I wasn't sure if I'd want to re-up, so I wanted to take advantage of going overseas while I could, luckily, my MOS was very much needed in Germany, so I got my ITT approved.) I was assigned to a remote site, so we all got off-post housing (even the single/childless), which I felt gave me a better experience of the country (having to work with the Bundespost to get my phone hooked up when I could speak the language very well I feel made me less judgmental over the whole 'press 1 for English' brouhaha. Nothing like being on the other side of the fence for that.)

Probably both experiences, plus some coming back, made me more liberal.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:31 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,782,860 times
Generally, my time abroad (research fellowships) was in high functioning countries, so I saw folks living a lifestyle comparable to the USA (some aspects were better, others worse). My visits to poorer countries have definitely made me thankful to live in a first world country, with the rule of law, freedom of speech, etc. I would say the USA is at or very near the top of the heap globally, but one thing that I don't get is the whole exceptionalism thing. I have never seen the cuccoon of self-satisfaction (we are the best, just ask us!) that I see here. Ironically, it seems most common among folks who are less educated, less traveled, unlikely to speak another language, etc. The whole red neck, flag waving bunch. That seems like phony patriotism. Personally, I find it more patriotic to be somewhat critical or your own country and to look to other places/peoples for ideas to improve it.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:09 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,727,653 times
West Germany in the 1960's wasn't so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies