Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever lived abroad?
Yes, for 0-6 months. 6 8.57%
Yes, for 6 months to two years. 12 17.14%
Yes for two years or more. 38 54.29%
No, never been abroad other than work travel or vacation. 14 20.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 12:30 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,335,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Have you ever lived away from your home country? If so, how did that shape your political thinking?
I've spent many years outside the US and honestly, it made me a little more liberal. Living in places with underdeveloped infrastructure and poor regulation made me long for the USA!

I don't think most Americans realize how good we have it. I understand the arguments for fiscal conservatism, but when you actually live someplace where they don't invest in roads, education, telecommunications, social safety nets, etc..., you start to really appreciate the federal government's role in this country. All the things that most of us love about America cost a lot of money. I'm perfectly happy paying my share of taxes to reap the rewards of our collective efforts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 12:35 PM

39,368 posts, read 27,759,323 times
Relatively speaking, I would say Amsterdam, the birthplace of Vincent van Gogh and Ann Frank has the most cultured people. New York city is not bad either.

The cleanest country is definitely Japan. Germans are very punctual, part of the genetic make up.

American men are the most attractive, in my most humble opinion.

Anyway, living abroad makes me love America even more. It also makes me realize everybody can be liberal and conservative at the same time. Nothing is absolute and people are beautiful.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:50 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,502,749 times
I have traveled abroad but never lived outside the US. I've always found international travel a wonderful experience, but living abroad for an extended period simply isn't practical for most people. I guess I could've studied abroad in college but it never appealed to me at the time.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:16 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,422,560 times
I lived abroad in Western Europe for several months. It made me somewhat more liberal especially in terms of how I see people in the US who reject science, but it also made me appreciate the mechanics of American government more.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:49 PM

32,832 posts, read 19,555,055 times
me:

total 6 years Germany
2 year Italy
1.5 years England
2 years korea
1 year Panama
and a total of 6 years in the deserts of Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Iraq, and Afghanistan

plus many vacations all over Europe

Old 02-15-2015, 01:50 PM

518 posts, read 874,653 times
No. I haven't. But I wish I did and maybe I still will! Kinda wished I would have done a study abroad type deal or just skipped college altogether and used that $ to see some of the world. I mean, that's what life is about? There is so much to see on this planet and to not once live in another country... that to me feels like maybe something is missing. Or at least take a few trips in your life and see some **** before you die. Those experiences-that's living life to the fullest-and how it's meant to be lived imo. Not being scared to do something different.

Only in my late 20's but being broke makes it hard to travel much. That's the reality for most Americans, particularly the younger crowd. We can't afford to travel or live abroad like our European counterparts. Living and traveling to the desirable countries you mentioned like Sweden takes a lot of money and planning.

Last edited by Bruce Jackpot; 02-15-2015 at 01:59 PM..

Old 02-15-2015, 02:00 PM

38,390 posts, read 22,357,569 times
I lived in a few foreign countries, and I've visited, and then revisited some many times. The thing I take away is that their laws and their society reflect the culture and traditions of the people. If your own lifestyle choices do not fit in well with that of the host country, then you probably won't enjoy your time in their country.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:06 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,679,165 times
I once spent three months in Europe; from the Netherlands in the north to Morocco in the south, from Portugal in the west to what used to be Yugoslavia in the east.

I met an old Spanish couple. We were the first Americans they had ever met!

I also spent some time in Israel years later. That experience shaped my feelings about that country..

I'm not sure that travelling abroad shaped or changed my political views. I can say I'm glad I was born in America.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:19 PM

10,838 posts, read 14,971,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
You need extra categories to separate out military service aboard. I bet most of the responses are military postings overseas which is a completely different experience.
Food was horrible, sleeping accommodations were a poncho liner on the ground and the bugs would eat you alive.

Hot and humid outside and I was always outside.

Many of the locals didn't like foreigners and sometimes it was so pronounced it would get to unsafe levels.

Showers were once a week if we were lucky and the water was always cold.

That's me taken February, 1969.

Does that count?

Old 02-15-2015, 04:46 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,404,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Many of the locals didn't like foreigners and sometimes it was so pronounced it would get to unsafe levels.

Showers were once a week if we were lucky and the water was always cold.
When I was there the local (Victor Charlie) unsafe level resulted in a firefight. Wish I would have had access to a shower instead of washing up in the river. But, this ain't a duck measuring contest.
Thank you for your service and welcome home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies