Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 09:38 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,247,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Baloney. He has a very clear plan: Let the Iraqi and Kurdish ground forces do the heavy lifting, with support from us and other Arab nations. What's wrong with that plan?

As for not calling it Islamic terrorism? Do you know WHY they won't call it that? It's for a very good reason. That's what the enemy wants. They WANT to turn it into a religious war. They want to be identified as resisting a new Christian Crusade. It legitimizes what they're doing and aids in recruiting. But, Obama wisely won't play into their hands. So long as he doesn't identify them as Muslims, he denies them their religious war and keeps them marginalized within the larger Muslim community, which by the way, make up the bulk of our allies against ISIS.
And that strategy seems to be working really well. They've increased their beheadings, started burning people alive, and have some of our own troops surrounded in Northern Iraq.

With such a sound strategy in place, I can't for the life of me figure out why ISIS, or ISIL, whatever you call them, hasn't just laid down their arms and given up. Probably because we haven't offered them any of those shovel ready jobs yet....so I'm sure the problem will be solved momentarily.

SS

Old 02-18-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
The only "foolish" thinking is what folks like you think. They are Muslims. So what? The President was right. Why offend and condemn all Muslims for what a few do? Its funny how anti-Obama folks are willing to go off the deep end just to jab Obama with a sharp stick.

Its also funny to see that the same folks who think Islam is ISIS, get their shorts in a wad when some one says all Republicans are war mongers and right wing nut extremists.

A few huh? Ok, just a couple questions...how many Muslims are there?

Let me answer for you....approximately 1,600,000,000

Another question....how many are extremists?

Another answer......the estimates range from 15-25%, which translates to roughly 180-300 Million.

Last question.....

Can I borrow a "few" dollars?

Thanks!

SS

Old 02-18-2015, 09:48 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
As for not calling it Islamic terrorism? Do you know WHY they won't call it that? It's for a very good reason. That's what the enemy wants. They WANT to turn it into a religious war. They want to be identified as resisting a new Christian Crusade. It legitimizes what they're doing and aids in recruiting. But, Obama wisely won't play into their hands. So long as he doesn't identify them as Muslims, he denies them their religious war and keeps them marginalized within the larger Muslim community, which by the way, make up the bulk of our allies against ISIS.
Well-said.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
It is time we call a spade a spade, and take political correctness and throw it in the garbage, where it belongs!
And THAT, my friend, is why I'm glad you're not in public office! Both politicians and diplomats require something called tact, which I don't think you've demonstrated. (Er, um... you're not in public office, right? )

Old 02-18-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
And that strategy seems to be working really well. They've increased their beheadings, started burning people alive, and have some of our own troops surrounded in Northern Iraq.
It is commonly-accepted fact that, when trying to get rid of a behavior by removing its reinforcement/ reward, the behavior radically INCREASES before beginning to decline.

So, what you described has another possible explanation entirely.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
It is commonly-accepted fact that, when trying to get rid of a behavior by removing its reinforcement/ reward, the behavior radically INCREASES before beginning to decline.

So, what you described has another possible explanation entirely.
So using your philosophy, the more beheading and burning alive of innocent people we get, the better the President's strategy is working?

Wow. Great plan. You should run for public office.

SS

Old 02-18-2015, 10:53 AM

21,478 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsmith680 View Post
re:jeffbase You want to be reactionary? That nationalism coupled with reactionary behavior is how 'ugly' results. As previously mentioned, should we be duped into play into the hands of those with little mechanics to wage war?
No flag has ever been raised and taken to battle without a portion of history brushed aside to polish an image and whip up the troops and citizens.
Our govt has disposed many socially just regimes in the name of human rights and capitalist's interest. Our lapdog stance when it comes to Israel is not one i am proud of. Any discussion of terrorism should have a footnote reminder of the Israeli leadership's background. Israeli Prime Ministers who were Terrorists and War Criminals: Menachem Begin, Yitzakh Shamir, Ariel Sharon, David Ben-Guiron
Anytime we get too caught up in the flag waving and team colors talk of god or right is on our side, we may want to look at who may have potentially taken some air out of the football.
Name one "socially just" regime we overthrew for human rights or capitalism. And please also name how they were "socially just." I'm curious.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:55 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I think it's because it plays into the evangelical push for the "End Times."
There are other, equally horrific groups operating now (Boko Haram for one) and yet they get no news, no notice.
There are people actively engaged in pushing for major U.S. intervention because they honestly believe that it will fulfill prophecy.

Take this for what it is - a blog - but, some elemental truths just the same:

Evangelical Christians Want to Start WWIII to Speed the "Second Coming" ... and Atheist Neocons are Using Religion to Rile Them Up to Justify War Against Iran Washington's Blog

Yes, that's certainly a part of it. And, there are others who have a long history of doing the bidding of Saudi Arabia and they're also among the group jumping up and down to take over the fight against ISIS.

Interestingly, they are ALL Republicans.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:58 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
You mention the Kurds,They just had 39 soldier prisoners placed individually in metal cages and burned alive,horrible.

I feel sorry for the Kurds. Once again, they're caught in the middle. I don't know what's been promised to them for taking on the bulk of the ground fighting, but I suspect it's some form of independence as that's about all they'd settle for. The question is whether or not whichever administration is in power when it's all done actually delivers on that promise. I think Obama would, but I don't think any current Republican would and certainly not another Bush. Remember, it was GHW who urged the Kurds to rise up against Saddam Hussein and then sat back and did basically nothing while Saddam butchered them by the thousands and used poison gas on them.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:59 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,535,208 times
Conservatives want another war. Murica!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies