Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2015, 07:53 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
That is durable medical equipment. That is not life saving hospital care.
It's rationed care. I have no problem with it. It's the way it should be and will have to be. If you want every conceivable type of care available, spend your own money on extended care insurance.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:54 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
You are mistaken. People with terminal conditions still receive lifesaving treatment such as dialysis to sustain life.
Up to a point.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:00 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,416,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Up to a point.
The point being that the a family member with authority decides to go with with comfort only measures. In the case of a family member who refuses to let go, it takes an outlined process for the hospital and attending doctor to override the wishes of the family. This can take an extended period of time,

Old 02-27-2015, 08:48 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,029,360 times
Quote:
The point being that the a family member with authority decides to go with with comfort only measures. In the case of a family member who refuses to let go, it takes an outlined process for the hospital and attending doctor to override the wishes of the family. This can take an extended period of time,

you'd think the hospital picks the people up and throws them to the curb like everyone on here claims.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:00 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,421,542 times
Ha. I know of a very wealthy 81 year old female who had heart surgery on Medicare. She died three months after the operation. Her son had to deal with the paperwork. If I remember the total bill was over $50k - all in her last few months of life. Her supplemental plan was very inexpensive comparitive to the actual risk.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:04 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,416,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Ha. I know of a very wealthy 81 year old female who had heart surgery on Medicare. She died three months after the operation. Her son had to deal with the paperwork. If I remember the total bill was over $50k - all in her last few months of life. Her supplemental plan was very inexpensive comparitive to the actual risk.
If your kidneys fail at 80 years old and you meet the criteria for a living donor transplant, Medicare will pay for that.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:45 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,477,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
No doubt her total bill was a lot more than just $50K.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:02 PM

1,160 posts, read 714,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
So are you pro-choice? If so, have you answered this question yourself?
I'm a pragmatist when it comes to policy.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:33 PM

1,160 posts, read 714,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
This is called a strawman argument. I never once brought up Iraq policy in this thread, so you fabricate a nonsensical position to attack it. Unbelievable.
You do not have to bring it up. You are the one asserting a moral superiority in regards to loss of life in regards to a law. Its not a strawman. You want to discuss your moral superiority in a vacuum so you do not have to address the contradiction or hypocrisy that clearly shows that you are selfish and will say **** off and die when it suits you in regards to other government policies and laws. Its not lost on my that you can not comprehend what I wrote, most people who speak with such moral absurdity do not.

Quote:
My point was clear; if you don't support everyone getting health care.. it is out of selfishness. You want less fortunate people to just go away, rather than affect your cushy lifestyle. You skirting around the bush with logical fallacies just proves you have no rational justification for your lack of morality.
I'm sorry but when you suggest that I have a lack of morality when it comes to public policy falls on deaf ears due to your hypocrisy. Further, the fact you think morality should be in the discussion is absurd. There is no clear consensus on what is moral. Morals are arbitrary and are vastly different among all people. Your arrogance and frankly delusional belief that government should enforce laws based on a morality that not everyone agrees with is ironic considering where liberals sit on abortion. If you do not want my morality shoved down your throat, dont do the same to me. This is the single biggest reason I hate liberals. They speak from this moral superiority to which I'm supposed to conform to, yet when asked to conform to other peoples morals, they scream at the top of the lungs, case in point the hobby lobby case. Peoples morals was not important in that case for liberals. So again, your talking about morality to me comes off to me as bull****. I do not give a **** what you think is moral or not, its not your place to dictate to me what is moral or not. I tell conservatives the same when they start talking about laws in regards gay people or abortion.

Quote:
Do you believe all humans deserve basic care to see doctor if they are sick? Yes or no?
You do not understand that it does not matter what I morally think about a situation. Public policy is not and can not be a moral question. Its one of pragmatism. I can prove this and show that you are just as immoral as I am using a single question:

To what extent does the US government stop providing health care to every single person in the world in order to uphold your moral imperative? As soon as you pick one instance where you decide not to provide health care you are telling the people in that situation to "**** off die".

Quote:
If you answer no, you have to explain rationally how you are a moral person that believes poor people should just get sick and die.
I live in the real world where poor people do get sick and die and understand the reality that the government cant help all of them. That does not make me immoral or unsympathetic, it makes me a realist. You want to make this about morals and until you can prove what is moral or not just shut the **** up about morality. Lastly, if you do not want conservatives talking about morality in regards to homosexuality or abortion, shut the **** up because you are both full of **** with your moral absurdity in regards to public policy.

Last edited by billydaman; 02-27-2015 at 10:42 PM..

Old 02-27-2015, 10:36 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,029,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
You do not have to bring it up. You are the one asserting a moral superiority in regards to loss of life in regards to a law. Its not a strawman. You want to discuss your moral superiority in a vacuum so you do not have to address the contradiction or hypocrisy that clearly shows that you are selfish and will say **** off and die when it suits you in regards to other government policies and laws. Its not lost on my that you can not comprehend what I wrote, most people who speak with such moral absurdity do not.

I'm sorry but when you suggest that I have a lack of morality when it comes to public policy falls on deaf ears due to your hypocrisy. Further, the fact you think morality should be in the discussion is absurd. There is no clear consensus on what is moral. Morals are arbitrary and are vastly different among all people. Your arrogance and frankly delusional belief that government should enforce laws based on a morality that not everyone agrees with is ironic considering where liberals sit on abortion. If you do not want my morality shoved down your throat, dont do the same to me. This is the single biggest reason I hate liberals. They speak from this moral superiority to which I'm supposed to conform to, yet when asked to conform to other peoples morals, they scream at the top of the lungs, case in point the hobby lobby case. Peoples morals was not important in that case for liberals. So again, your talking about morality to me comes off to me as bull****. I do not give a **** what you think is moral or not, its not your place to dictate to me what is moral or not.

You do not understand that it does not matter what I morally think about a situation. Public policy is not and can not be a moral question. Its one of pragmatism. I can prove this and show that you are just as immoral as I am using a single question:

To what extent does the US government stop providing health care to every single person in the world in order to uphold your moral imperative? As soon as you pick one instance where you decide not to provide health care you are telling the people in that situation to "**** off die".

I live in the real world where poor people do get sick and die and understand the reality that we cant help all of them. That does not make me immoral or unsympathetic, it makes me realist.

Best post I've read in this entire subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies