Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 03:40 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,937,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
No. I'm lenient on bakers being idiots, but doctors have a responsibility to serve the public. Private transaction or not, allowing this is not acceptable. Imagine if a gay man was shot and the only available surgeon was very much against homosexuals and was allowed to not serve them? Would that actually happen, I don't know. I'd like to think not, but cynicism is generally more realistic.

This doctor lacks respect. The BS apology letter is weak. All they got was a letter saying 'I should have spoken to you in person.' If she actually believed that, she would have had the common decency to at least call.

A doctor's responsibly must come before their personal convictions.
I agree with you Dusty, & I like living in the real world. I also enjoy the sacred words of many of the World's Religions - many have stories which often function like as koans. Your post brought this one to mind:

Quote:
It is as if a man had been wounded by an arrow thickly smeared with poison, and his friends and kinsmen were to get a surgeon to heal him, and he were to say, I will not have this arrow pulled out until I know by what man I was wounded, whether he is of the warrior caste, or a brahmin, or of the agricultural, or the lowest caste. Or if he were to say, I will not have this arrow pulled out until I know of what name of family the man is — or whether he is tall, or short or of middle height … Before knowing all this, the man would die.

Similarly, it is not on the view that the world is eternal, that it is finite, that body and soul are distinct, or that the Buddha exists after death that a religious life depends. Whether these views or their opposite are held, there is still rebirth, there is old age, there is death, and grief, lamentation, suffering, sorrow, and despair…. I have not spoken to these views because they do not conduce to an absence of passion, to tranquility, and Nirvana.

And what have I explained? Suffering have I explained, the cause of suffering, the destruction of suffering, and the path that leads to the destruction of suffering have I explained. For this is useful.
-The Buddha

Old 02-24-2015, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Because its alive.

We are far better off with a truthful and free society even when it may be ugly than we are by going down the road of the thought police.
Thought police? Please. Save the drama.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:46 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,279,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Thought police? Please. Save the drama.
With your position that is all you are left with. She isn't going to speak her mind if it's illegal. Then you are left wondering why your kid gets 5 minutes but your neighbors gets 20.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
With your position that is all you are left with. She isn't going to speak her mind if it's illegal. Then you are left wondering why your kid gets 5 minutes but your neighbors gets 20.
Other folks here, in this thread, have adequately & competently countered your weasel words, personally I feel it's sufficient.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:30 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,953,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Sorry, but that asshat doesn't need to be a doctor.

Sure, he prayed about it, then did exactly the OPPOSITE of what Jesus would do.
^This!

Old 02-24-2015, 05:30 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,696,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
This Dr. Roi is violting the medical code of ethics. I don't suggest she should be forced to treat homos and their families. I'm suggesting she have her license to practice medicine revoked.

That is tyranny, defined.

I will punish you for being free.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:34 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,696,085 times
Quote:
The medical profession - specifically its reputation to the society it's oath bound to serve.

Why have a code of ethics if it doesn't mean something or if you're not going to enforce it?

Tell that to every police force and elected official....
Just saying, lead by example.... Not by force.
Freedom v. Tyranny.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:57 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,517,969 times
Quote:
This Dr. Roi is violting the medical code of ethics. I don't suggest she should be forced to treat homos and their families. I'm suggesting she have her license to practice medicine revoked.
Because Michigan law isn't what you want, you turn the AMA into some type of god for the medical profession. It's not. Most docs don't belong to the AMA. Even those who do aren't controlled by that one organization, and shouldn't be. The homo parents can file a complaint with the state's licensing board

Parents who now know this doc won't accept children of homos as patients can reject her. Your preference to punish her by revoking her license hurts the families of who've chosen her as a doc.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:47 AM

18,414 posts, read 19,051,059 times
how is someone supposed to know when a business, a medical professional or other service to the public, won't serve you? will there be stickers of some sort they put on their front door? a big red circle with a slash through it and a same sex couple? how about one with different races on it?

Old 02-24-2015, 08:34 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,115,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
That is tyranny, defined.

I will punish you for being free.
Drumming unqualified members out of your profession is tyranny? Hahaha. Thanks for the laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies