Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 02:26 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,833,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
In Washington, or at least the Puget Sound, if the police respond to a domestic violence call, they will confiscate any gun the people own, and it takes a court order to get them back. It has proven to reduce domestic violence deaths in the state.
Probably should just lock the people up as well and make them prove they are innocent while we are at it, if it saves one life it will be worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 02:32 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,030,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
LOL. A basic income would reduce crime by 40%, with domestic violence going down by even more.

I don't think any gun laws either more or less would change things much to be honest without either increasing deaths from guns, or violating our rights in horrific manners.
Pay people to not commit crimes . wow Ive heard it all now

Old 02-24-2015, 02:32 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,885,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Obviously we don't want to trample anybody's rights under the Second Amendment.

At the same time, there seem to be a lot of people (especially women) shot in domestic violence situations.

Is there a way to reduce this kind of shooting that's compatible with responsible firearms ownership?

Children among five dead and two wounded after shooting at Georgia home

Murdered woman filed harassment report 3 hours before fatal shooting near Med Center | abc13.com

Woman shot and killed by her abusive ex-boyfriend

Father shoots and kills wife, two children, commits suicide and sets mansion on fire

Retired police officer kills his two sleeping daughters, himself and three dogs
these are all the result of years of abuse. it usually starts small, one parent hits the other in anger, and then suddenly realizes they did something to hurt their loved one, so they immediately and profusely apologize and promise it will never happen again. until the next time they get into an argument and then the abuse gets worse each time.

we live in a day in age where people are taught, TAUGHT mind you, that they dont have to put up with such abuse, and all they need do is tell the cop they need to get out of the house, and the cop is generally obligated to oblige them. but what happens is these untrained psychologists in blue uniforms decide that they want to try and keep the family unit together and not go through the paperwork(for which there is a ton of it) to remove someone from the home, so they just say dont do it again, record the promises, and leave.

you want to end domestic abuse? then deal with what ever the root cause is, not the symptoms. that is like curing the common cold by sitting in front of an open window soaking in a bath of ice water, because there is no cure for the common cold, but there is a cure for pneumonia.

the problem though is that the root cause is as varied as the people that have the problem, but it is mostly pent up anger at something in their life.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:33 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,223,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Probably should just lock the people up as well and make them prove they are innocent while we are at it, if it saves one life it will be worth it.
Why? That would be unnecessary. Washington has proven it reduces domestic violence deaths and it requires the people involved in the dispute to work out their differences in a civil manner. Though I am sure you would prefer a rise in domestic violence deaths to protect your precious guns.....

Old 02-24-2015, 02:35 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,885,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
LOL. A basic income would reduce crime by 40%, with domestic violence going down by even more.
and you have proof to back this claim up? if so lets see it. and i mean real documented cases of where people were put on a basic income, and the rate at which they committed crimes went down by the specified amount.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:54 PM

32,032 posts, read 36,833,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
we live in a day in age where people are taught, TAUGHT mind you, that they dont have to put up with such abuse, and all they need do is tell the cop they need to get out of the house, and the cop is generally obligated to oblige them. but what happens is these untrained psychologists in blue uniforms decide that they want to try and keep the family unit together and not go through the paperwork(for which there is a ton of it) to remove someone from the home, so they just say dont do it again, record the promises, and leave.
So are you saying that if folks are the subject of domestic violence, one of them should just get out of the house?

I understand the logic, but where are they supposed to go? What if they can't afford a new place? If there are kids or pets, do you take them or leave them? What if there's rent or a mortgage to pay -- who gets stuck with that?

Old 02-24-2015, 02:59 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,400,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
and you have proof to back this claim up? if so lets see it. and i mean real documented cases of where people were put on a basic income, and the rate at which they committed crimes went down by the specified amount.
Basic Income Grant Coalition - Namibia

Sure. There you go. Sorry I was incorrect though, the reduction was slightly higher. And I will admit that I make the assumption that domestic violence would specifically benefit more, but thats based upon a personal observation that most arguments revolve around a lack of money.

If that isnt sufficient for you, might I suggest that doing a larger scale research project in the US would be beneficial.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:01 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,400,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
Pay people to not commit crimes . wow Ive heard it all now
Please dont respond with a ignorant assumption. I made an observation. Im not advocating paying people to not commit crimes, however I am making the observation that a basic income that has a TON of other benefits also has this as a side effect.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Why? That would be unnecessary. Washington has proven it reduces domestic violence deaths and it requires the people involved in the dispute to work out their differences in a civil manner. Though I am sure you would prefer a rise in domestic violence deaths to protect your precious guns.....
I prefer due process.

How easily some give away freedom astonishes me sometimes.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
So are you saying that if folks are the subject of domestic violence, one of them should just get out of the house?

I understand the logic, but where are they supposed to go? What if they can't afford a new place? If there are kids or pets, do you take them or leave them? What if there's rent or a mortgage to pay -- who gets stuck with that?
Many areas have women's shelters just for this, that is why I said earlier that many resources are available to women, not so much men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies