Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 11:34 AM

32,037 posts, read 36,878,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
If the gun isn't there, they will just use another means. You all just don't understand "rage". And, with the illegal entry, guns come in all the time and are readily available so taking away the neighbor's guns, he knows where to get another stash.

This website offers much better options for ending domestic abuse: National Network to End Domestic Violence | Each day, 3 women die because of domestic violence

The agenda here is about gun-control (making us sheepeople) not domestic violence and death. At least those using the abused to push their agenda, gun control, could have done is learned more about domestic violence before moving forward.
Good website, although they appear to be sort of down on guns as they relate to domestic violence. For instance:

"More than three times as many women are murdered by guns used by their husbands or intimate partners than are murdered by strangers’ guns, knives, or other weapons combined."

"Of females killed with a firearm, almost two-thirds were killed by an intimate partner."

"Homes with guns have a 3-fold increased homicide risk as compared to homes without guns. This risk increases to 8-fold when the perpetrator is an intimate partner or relative of the victim. When previous domestic violence exists, the risk of homicide is 20 times higher."

"Access to firearms yields a more than 500% increase in risk of intimate partner homicide when considering other factors of abuse, according to a recent study, suggesting that abusers who have access to guns tend to inflict the most severe abuse on their partners."

Sounds like an agenda to me.

While I don't doubt that having a firearm makes it easier for folks who go into a rage to wipe out their families, it seems to me you have to look at the bigger picture. What sends these people into a rage to begin with? Why do they act out by killing people close to them? How can we identify the risk factors that push people into a rage? What can be done to protect the families of those who go into a rage?

I would say focus on rage and other bad conduct rather than simply hollering about gun control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 11:48 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,032,273 times
Quote:
Ah, but those spouses in the wealthy don't necessarily report abuse. Money, nice things, etc. can make them hesitate. Domestic Violence Among the Wealthy Hides Behind

Well, you have never seen "rage" obviously if you believe that.

Exactly. Opinion: The rich and famous are not immune to domestic abuse - CNN.com and there are dozens of articles like this.

If the gun isn't there, they will just use another means. You all just don't understand "rage". And, with the illegal entry, guns come in all the time and are readily available so taking away the neighbor's guns, he knows where to get another stash.

This website offers much better options for ending domestic abuse: National Network to End Domestic Violence | Each day, 3 women die because of domestic violence

The agenda here is about gun-control (making us sheepeople) not domestic violence and death. At least those using the abused to push their agenda, gun control, could have done is learned more about domestic violence before moving forward.

Glad you get it. Greywar is so hellbent on calling my argument emotional when its based In common sense.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:05 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,256,579 times
Quote:
Ah, but those spouses in the wealthy don't necessarily report abuse. Money, nice things, etc. can make them hesitate. Domestic Violence Among the Wealthy Hides Behind

Well, you have never seen "rage" obviously if you believe that.

Exactly. Opinion: The rich and famous are not immune to domestic abuse - CNN.com and there are dozens of articles like this.

Then why hasn't domestic violence murders gone up or stayed the same via other forms of weapons in Washington?

Actually, fun fact, the NRA agrees and supports Washington with this bill they passed to protect domestic violence victims in their state.

The NRA Is Now Helping Advance Anti-Domestic Violence Laws | ThinkProgress

Old 02-25-2015, 01:16 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,423,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
Glad you get it. Greywar is so hellbent on calling my argument emotional when its based In common sense.
Common sense says-higher incomes reduce (not eliminate) domestic violence. I also provided factual research to it. Your arguments were in fact emotional. Im not hellbent on anything. I just dislike untruthful arguments.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:32 PM

14,021 posts, read 5,668,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Maybe there is just nothing to be done when somebody goes nuts on their family.
This, and guns are not the problem nor a lack of guns the solution. I could kill anyone, even the biggest baddest UFC tough guy out there with one well placed swing of my 7 iron to their skull. A child could do the same, because torque is a wonderful thing. Guns are a tool for violence, but tons of things are as well. You going to outlaw/control/regulate every household item you could kill someone with?

Abuse to the point of being a sociopath is not something that happens overnight. Men with violent tendencies make those tendencies known well in advance of unleashing it on the family. The solution is to leave and not be there when violence comes home drunk from the bar. Guns are incidental, not causal.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:34 PM

17,403 posts, read 12,007,608 times
Quote:
Obviously we don't want to trample anybody's rights under the Second Amendment.

At the same time, there seem to be a lot of people (especially women) shot in domestic violence situations.

Is there a way to reduce this kind of shooting that's compatible with responsible firearms ownership?

Children among five dead and two wounded after shooting at Georgia home

Murdered woman filed harassment report 3 hours before fatal shooting near Med Center | abc13.com

Woman shot and killed by her abusive ex-boyfriend

Father shoots and kills wife, two children, commits suicide and sets mansion on fire

Retired police officer kills his two sleeping daughters, himself and three dogs
And a lot are beat to death, strangled, drowned, knifed, and tossed off of cliffs in domestic situations.

Why are you fixated only on the gun aspect?

Old 02-25-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Why? That would be unnecessary. Washington has proven it reduces domestic violence deaths and it requires the people involved in the dispute to work out their differences in a civil manner. Though I am sure you would prefer a rise in domestic violence deaths to protect your precious guns.....
Oh yea, hug it out. That will work with a psychotic man bent on annihilating his family.

You say they've proven it? I'd like to see that proof. The full report.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Well, our kids are grown so that isn't an issue, but I'd hate to have leave my home and my critters and move into a shelter. That's a pretty big deal to suddenly up and leave everything behind.

What if you're still on the rent or mortgage and utilities? What do you do with your vehicles, your computer and all your stuff? If you have tools, firearms, kitchen gear, etc., will they let you bring all that into a shelter?
Well, if those things are more important than your life, then you will die. You've made a choice.

THIS is why women get killed. They rationalize staying until it's too late.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
Its paying people to not commit crimes no matter what you call it. Its equal to a child throwing a massive temper tantrum nd you giving them whatever they want. give me a bmw and I wont beat you up!!! see how idiotic that sounds? People will always want more they are people with drug alcohol rage self control issues. Like everything else we cant subsidize the world into fairness.
And that money has to come from somewhere. So you give it to "A" to make their lives less violent. But you've taken it from "B", making their economic situation more dire and therefore more prone to violence.

Liberal logic. Just can't beat it.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:47 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,423,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
And that money has to come from somewhere. So you give it to "A" to make their lives less violent. But you've taken it from "B", making their economic situation more dire and therefore more prone to violence.

Liberal logic. Just can't beat it.
Yes taking 5% more of bill gates income will make him have money problems that interfere with paying his rent.

Conservative logic. Just can't beat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies