Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2015, 08:39 AM

419 posts, read 1,238,652 times

Advertisements

The two party system needs to be abolished. The mere fact that half of the room stands up while the other remains seated just because him or her has a D or an R after their name is absolutely pathetic. We need free thinkers in order to solve problems, not programmed robots.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:43 AM

708 posts, read 823,960 times
As usual with cases such as these I see people trying to say it is ok, victim blaming and gender double standards. The following quote was made for people just like you.

Quote:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Jiddu Krishnamurti

Old 03-05-2015, 08:46 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
The arguing is good, it's the immovable coalitions that are ingrained in to the system that are the problem. That and the way certain issues get lumped together when they shouldn't. For example when someone infers that since you support restraint in the federal budget you must be some homosexual hating racist, when civil rights and budgetary issues don't really have much to do with each other, or when someone assumes that if you believe in a progressive taxation rate you must want to take away everyone's guns.

The parties limit choice which is not a good thing in a representative political system. It would be better if candidates could just run as themselves instead of as representatives for a party. That way you don't have vote against a candidate that you find to be reasonable just because you don't want to give any further numerical advantages to the party they represent, and candidates don't have to pay lip service to positions they don't believe in to pander to a voting block their party has to rely on for votes.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:50 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
Playing Devil's Advocate here: 12 is NOT pre-pubescent these days. Many boys begin puberty younger and even begin growing public hair and masturbating regularly as young as 10. And with the prevelence of internet-use by younger kids, I HIGHLY DOUBT that he didn't know what was going on. He probably welcomed it. His parents found the texts and went to the authorities (which I am not defending her -- the parents were right because this IS illegal).

I'm saying that the boy was well aware of what was happening and being that he continued going to see her and texting her often, also never telling his parents -- he knowingly encouraged it.

12 is not a clueless baby these days -- I have a son around his age and I would spit fire on anyone who dared to touch my kid. My son isn't innocent though, he's VERY into women (even women my age)... all about boobs, booties and kisses. He would know dang well if a woman touched him sexually, what that meant.
Agreed. I am a woman who had sex with a grown woman when I was 13. I was well aware she was a very grown adult, knew what I was doing, and never considered it abuse ever. I actually propositioned her. I have always remembered the experience (actually a few experiences with her) fondly. A few years later, I was savagely raped by my boyfriend and it was technically legal. At least at first. It was quite a different experience that started out consensual and when I screamed stop and he refused (because it was painful), it became terribly traumatic. I have never remembered the experience as anything but horrible. Age alone is not always the determining factor. Twelve is pretty borderline to me, however. There are a lot of variables involved. I do know there have to be laws, and they have to be based on something clear cut.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:16 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Power and money. It's always about that, none of the politicians or political parties give a hoot about the average American.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:20 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
So one guy claims all this and it's taken as fact? Sounds like a typical major city equipment and evidence storage facility to me.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:31 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,229,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
And the evidence of this was a hit piece ?
If this is occurring let's get an undercover reporter arrested and put in there ... even better an undercover federal agent of holders ...
This is just outrageous.. horrible..shocking.. un-american...

Hell I'd volunteer...

Has any of the above occurred .... with real evidence

Birds singing....
It was only briefly hit on, oddly enough in major news outlets, being "outshined" by that stupid "what color is this dress" nonsense.

Chicago police detain Americans in

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ites/24180197/

The Historic Roots of Homan Square, Chicago's CIA-Style Black Site - Reason.com

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...ged-black-site

And here is the original article:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...-investigation

And even more poignant insight into the case:

http://www.cjr.org/united_states_pro...cago_media.php

After reading through those, is it really any surprise mum's the word?

Last edited by Old Town FFX; 03-05-2015 at 09:41 AM..

Old 03-05-2015, 10:16 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,995,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
The arguing is good,...
Discussions are good. Arguing is never good because when people argue, they are just trying to shove their point down your throat and will not listen to anybody else's ideas. When people have discussions, they are generally open to other ideas and options about the topic.

Unfortunately, all we have in Congress right now is arguing.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:20 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,746,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Well they are a part of the USA. I dont think anyone considered the opinions of those in the Bible Belt when making the new law, or maybe just didnt see how much such a change could effect their lives.

There has always been a seperation of church and state; and, Im not sure any other issue has so effectively pitted church against state.

Will states start talking about sussession over this issue? It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.
I think you mean "secession."

Those of us who are not in favor of "gay marriage" have to just sit quietly on the sidelines these days, and keep our mouths shut, because dissenting opinions are just not permitted on forums like this, and that's multiplied many times over if our opinion is based in religious teaching. So much for "open discussion."

Those who dare open their mouth and say something get called all manner of epithets and ugly names. Mean-spirited, acrimonious verbal abuse is the norm for anyone not waving a flag in favor of gay marriage.

In a supposedly enlightened society, perhaps that's the most objectionable element of all.

Not that many years ago, our courts ruled (again and again) that homosexual marriage was a violation of our laws. What changed? The constitution? No. Just public opinion.

That's what governs us today - public opinion.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:24 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,302,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
And yet this act is perfectly legal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
if two 12 year olds have sex, who do you charge with a crime? the reason an adult having sex with a 12 yr old is a crime is, because they are not equals in anyway. i cannot believe this has to be explained.
Actually not true that it is legal, it depends on the jurisdiction.

In California all minors (under 18) are prohibited from having sex, even with other minors. The only difference is if it is a misdemeanor (minors having sex with each other) or a felony (where the age difference exceeds certain standards).

But in CA a 13 year old can walk into any abortion clinic and have an abortion, even though she is guilty of a misdemeanor for having sex unless it was rape, and she is considered to have enough life experience to make that decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by threecats407 View Post
At 12 all I had was the Sears catalog lingerie section to amuse myself
You and me both..... that and National Geographic. The extent to which online 12 year olds, and younger, have access to see sexual acts I never heard of until graduate school or later is frightening. For all the good the Internet has brought, it has also wrought some terrible things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Agreed. I am a woman who had sex with a grown woman when I was 13. I was well aware she was a very grown adult, knew what I was doing, and never considered it abuse ever. I actually propositioned her. I have always remembered the experience (actually a few experiences with her) fondly. A few years later, I was savagely raped by my boyfriend and it was technically legal. At least at first. It was quite a different experience that started out consensual and when I screamed stop and he refused (because it was painful), it became terribly traumatic. I have never remembered the experience as anything but horrible. Age alone is not always the determining factor. Twelve is pretty borderline to me, however. There are a lot of variables involved. I do know there have to be laws, and they have to be based on something clear cut.
Thanks for sharing.

I wasn't as young as you, but I had sex with a classmate's mother when I was 16 and never considered it anything than a good experience. Here's to you Mrs. Robinson, Jesus loves you more than you will know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies