Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 06:54 AM

10,237 posts, read 6,326,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
You're apparently as clueless as the Alabama Supreme Court - state courts cannot overrule federal courts.

And what you think is morally wrong and what you think should be illegal is immaterial as to the constitutionally of laws in that regard, as any non-narcissist can see.

Beside all that, you seem unaware that the Supreme Court is hearing oral arguments next month on this issue, with a decision due before their annual July 4 deadline. Guess how the majority (the four liberal Justices plus Anthony Kennedy, the author of the three seminal gay rights cases in Supreme Court history) is going to rule?

Come July, it's all over for your hateful ilk - not just in Alabama but in every state. Game, set, match. The fact that you're oblivious to this only makes the thought of how this will blindside you all the sweeter.
Guess Alabama did not learn that lesson from the past when they tried to block school intergration (Federal law).

Old 03-04-2015, 07:11 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams12 View Post
The Alabama Supreme Court on Tuesday ordered probate judges in the state to stop issuing same-sex marriage licenses.

Alabama Supreme Court Blocks Same-Sex Marriage

Right decision. Finally! My stance is that same sex marriage is morally wrong and should be illegal. Granting same-sex couples a license to marry will not create true marriage. Neither two men nor two women can become one flesh.
Why? Because YOU don't agree with it? And who made you the morality police? Marriages licenses don't create marriage for ANYONE. It's up to the people involved to make the marriage. But gay people deserve the right to marry. There is no legitimate reason why they shouldn't. And no, religion is not a legitimate reason to deny them that.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:23 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
This is a lot simpler if you realize the marriage is a legal agreement about money and inheritance where sex is mostly irrelevant. It is really a contract between the families of the couple.

I see the religious opposition to gay marriage as opposition to unacceptable sex that will deny the practioners entry to religious heaven. The religious types just want to keep gays from going to hell. This is only relevant to the believers in any particular religion and should not be part of secular law.

As marriage is a secular contract the religious restrictions are irrelevant and gay marriage should be just a legally binding as any other contract.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:28 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,579,806 times
And just you watch, I bet she'll only get a quarter of the time in jail as a man would get for the same crime.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:32 AM

685 posts, read 721,353 times
Folks: This is the same ole' same ole. I do remember the hierarchy of law trumping thanks to a college flashback.

Those who have opposing views to same sex marriage so strongly on this forum will not bend an iota to change
his/her mind. Face to face and over a period of time, maybe you can get through to people like this (I have).
But on the thread on any thread, it just doesn't work (correct me if I'm wrong).

Arguing morality with any person obviously wearing blinders or has a possibly unconscious fear he/she may be gay
(yes, that has happened) is also impossible to attempt to reason with.

Anyway, there are very few states left that haven't approved gay marriage. Alabama will just be steamrolled with
the rest soon. Gad, I never thought I'd be saying that. Miracle of miracles .

Old 03-04-2015, 07:38 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
And just you watch, I bet she'll only get a quarter of the time in jail as a man would get for the same crime.
There does seem to be a mindset, that girls are less willing participants in these cases. Boys, it seems, are not so victimized by adult women as opposed to girls and adult men. Wrong is wrong, though. The law should apply, equally.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Ummm, betting probation is all she'll get with a requirement that she register as a cougar on the prowl from a judge that wishes it was him when he was that age...

Old 03-04-2015, 07:45 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,565,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Ummm, betting probation is all she'll get with a requirement that she register as a cougar on the prowl from a judge that wishes it was him when he was that age...
I doubt that. They are getting more strict with these types of crimes. The fact that he was 12 makes it even harder to go easy on her.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:50 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,551,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I doubt that. They are getting more strict with these types of crimes. The fact that he was 12 makes it even harder to go easy on her.

Yes from what I have observed I would say that after the boy has reached the ago of 16 or older is when the judges and the public go easy on the woman in most cases.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:00 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,326,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams12 View Post
The Alabama Supreme Court on Tuesday ordered probate judges in the state to stop issuing same-sex marriage licenses.

Alabama Supreme Court Blocks Same-Sex Marriage

Right decision. Finally! My stance is that same sex marriage is morally wrong and should be illegal. Granting same-sex couples a license to marry will not create true marriage. Neither two men nor two women can become one flesh.
Why should I give a crap about your morality? If you don't want to marry someone of the same gender then don't. I'm sick of holier-than-thou fascists who do nothing but restrict freedom rather than opening the doors. You have the right to feel however you wish about gay marriage but I'm fed up with people like you thinking that your opinions should become law - that your choice must be everyone else's choice, too.

Alabama is a cesspool of racism, bigotry, and intolerance. Hell, just last year, an Alabama Supreme Court judge went on record as saying atheists don't have any Constitutional rights.

The politicians there still think it's 1855. I bet if any of them looked out the window, they'd be shocked to see cars, cell phones, and electric lights. Dammit, man! Where'd all the horses go?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies