Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 12:06 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,633,109 times

Advertisements

Calvin Coolidge's father served in the Vermont legislature. So did his grandfather.

I Know. Am from Vermont and read his book. So what is your point? What is your point with Harry Truman? No, the people living in "fantasy worlds" are the ones that think we are currently living in the best times for our country and society.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:10 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,094,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I don't see any difference between liberals & conservatives with name calling, invoking the worst of stereotypes, etc. ad nauseam. You just proved it with the flag/bible comment. This ironically when you call out the other side for doing the same thing.
Robertfchew wrote: "because they are typically morons and care more about their agenda then actually having a chance no matter how slight of things improving."

He appears to be a conservative who is calling all liberals "morons." The basis for that assessment would be his disagreement with liberal views.

I wrote: "the conservative party in this country is the one that clings to the flag in one hand and a bible in the other."

I did not insult all conservatives by that statement, it was merely a summary of several Republican policies such as the desire for smaller government, unless it involves personal behaviors that are deemed incompatible with Christian beliefs like gay marriage, or abortion.

The Religious Right is a well documented and established presence within the Republican party, and their influence on positions taken in the Republican platform is obvious. The Republican party is also the party that has gone out of their way to extoll the concept of "American Exceptionalism" for years. Somehow I seriously doubt you were unaware of that WaldoKitty.

Perhaps I should add that some conservatives are also extremely sensitive to any sort of comment on the positions taken by their party?

Old 03-04-2015, 01:40 AM

12 posts, read 6,434 times
Default Alabama Supreme Court Blocks Same-Sex Marriage

The Alabama Supreme Court on Tuesday ordered probate judges in the state to stop issuing same-sex marriage licenses.

Alabama Supreme Court Blocks Same-Sex Marriage

Right decision. Finally! My stance is that same sex marriage is morally wrong and should be illegal. Granting same-sex couples a license to marry will not create true marriage. Neither two men nor two women can become one flesh.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:27 AM

12 posts, read 6,434 times
Default Mom Accused In Rape Of Son's 12-Year-Old Friend

A Missouri mom is accused of raping a 12-year-old boy while her son was in her basement.

Mom Accused In Rape Of Son's 12-Year-Old Friend

The prevalence of child sexual abuse is difficult to determine because it is often not reported. 1 in 5 girls and 1 in 20 boys is a victim of child sexual abuse. 3 out of 4 adolescents who have been sexually assaulted were victimized by someone they knew well . Disgusting.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:09 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,821,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams12 View Post
The Alabama Supreme Court on Tuesday ordered probate judges in the state to stop issuing same-sex marriage licenses.

Right decision. Finally! My stance is that same sex marriage is morally wrong and should be illegal. Granting same-sex couples a license to marry will not create true marriage. Neither two men nor two women can become one flesh.
You're apparently as clueless as the Alabama Supreme Court - state courts cannot overrule federal courts.

And what you think is morally wrong and what you think should be illegal is immaterial as to the constitutionally of laws in that regard, as any non-narcissist can see.

Beside all that, you seem unaware that the Supreme Court is hearing oral arguments next month on this issue, with a decision due before their annual July 4 deadline. Guess how the majority (the four liberal Justices plus Anthony Kennedy, the author of the three seminal gay rights cases in Supreme Court history) is going to rule?

Come July, it's all over for your hateful ilk - not just in Alabama but in every state. Game, set, match. The fact that you're oblivious to this only makes the thought of how this will blindside you all the sweeter.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:28 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,318,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams12 View Post

When I read a silly post like yours, I don't whether to laugh or cry.

Did you take a civics or a political science class in your school? It sure doesn't sound like you did. If you had, maybe you'd realize that under the Constitution that under the supremacy clause that federal law prevails over state law when the two conflict. Its what keeps this country together. Its what keeps us from fragmenting into 50 different nations. Your post illustrates a complete ignorance of the way America is run.

All this apparently went completely over your head. Instead, you fall back on some kind of "moral" justification that many of us no longer share. If you have this view because you think the Bible tells you that it is so or whatever, I don't really care. What I care about is that under our system, our Constitution does not establish any one religion. You may have these private views. You do not have the right to use the legal system to write those views into law. If you don't like gay marriage, fine. Don't marry a gay person. Don't tell the rest of us how we have to live.

The judges in Alabama are violating the law of the land. If the citizens of Alabama allow them to do it, I question whether Alabama is really part of the USA.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:32 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,295,551 times
Social libertarian here. If it's not hurting you or anyone else personally what is the issue? I don't believe morality should be legislated... rather left to 'common sense' ... if you're not hurting anyone else in a direct or indirect way you should be able to pretty much do as you wish.

This is why I would legalize marijuana at the very least but still make, say public nudity, an infraction.. because public nudity infringes on the rights of others by having to see it in a culture where it's not accepted, however marijuana smoking is done in private and is supported by a good chunk of the population already.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:33 AM

21,154 posts, read 19,736,448 times
My stance is that government discrimination based on marital status is morally wrong and should be illegal. Granting any couple a license to marry will not create true marriage. Neither two men nor two women nor one woman and on man can become one flesh based on a legal document.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:38 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,295,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
My stance is that government discrimination based on marital status is morally wrong and should be illegal. Granting any couple a license to marry will not create true marriage. Neither two men nor two women nor one woman and on man can become one flesh based on a legal document.

I agree marriage doesn't necessarily mean much legally these days, it's mostly sentimental.. however it's a statement to the other person that you are committed to them, and want to spend your life with them, regardless of how it actually turns out. People kind of just live and learn as they go along, make mistakes and trek forward...

Old 03-04-2015, 06:51 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,551,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
When I read a silly post like yours, I don't whether to laugh or cry.

Did you take a civics or a political science class in your school? It sure doesn't sound like you did. If you had, maybe you'd realize that under the Constitution that under the supremacy clause that federal law prevails over state law when the two conflict. Its what keeps this country together. Its what keeps us from fragmenting into 50 different nations. Your post illustrates a complete ignorance of the way America is run.

All this apparently went completely over your head. Instead, you fall back on some kind of "moral" justification that many of us no longer share. If you have this view because you think the Bible tells you that it is so or whatever, I don't really care. What I care about is that under our system, our Constitution does not establish any one religion. You may have these private views. You do not have the right to use the legal system to write those views into law. If you don't like gay marriage, fine. Don't marry a gay person. Don't tell the rest of us how we have to live.

The judges in Alabama are violating the law of the land. If the citizens of Alabama allow them to do it, I question whether Alabama is really part of the USA.

Not sure about that. What about the marijuana issue for one? Doesn't federal law prohibit it and yet some states have legalized it? The legal issue here is twofold . First of all they have a state constitution that is worded clearly on the issue and states marriage must be between a man and a woman some other states have constitutions that are more vague on the subject . The Alabama state constitution has stated this for 200 years. They also passed by vote a law in 1998 stating marriage must be between a man and a woman, so unless the Supreme Court overturns this soon they probably do have a legal case to stop same sex marriage in their state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies