Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2015, 10:35 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,434,895 times

Advertisements

Our current great President is a clear indication, once and for all, that his party is the only one needed in this country in order for it to flourish as a place for all, not just the rich and privileged.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:45 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,022,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Our current great President is a clear indication, once and for all, that his party is the only one needed in this country in order for it to flourish as a place for all, not just the rich and privileged.

Translation, "I want a dictatorship." Yeah, be careful what you wish for in terms of one party rule, because we have all seen the results from nations that have had and still do have one-party rule, and it isn't pretty. Ask the citizens of North Korea, and China, or the citizens of the former Soviet Union, and if you can find any still alive citizens of former NAZI Germany. Don't think it can't happen here. Let's also look to cities in our own backyard that have experienced significant decline in population, industry, an increase in poverty, and reduction of median income due to one party rule i.e. Detroit, Buffalo, Cleveland (though we're starting to turn things around here) and even Chicago due to one-party's dominance! So as usual, I'm gonna have to say... cool story brah!

Old 03-05-2015, 10:45 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,292,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
I think you mean "secession."

Those of us who are not in favor of "gay marriage" have to just sit quietly on the sidelines these days, and keep our mouths shut, because dissenting opinions are just not permitted on forums like this, and that's multiplied many times over if our opinion is based in religious teaching. So much for "open discussion."

Those who dare open their mouth and say something get called all manner of epithets and ugly names. Mean-spirited, acrimonious verbal abuse is the norm for anyone not waving a flag in favor of gay marriage.

In a supposedly enlightened society, perhaps that's the most objectionable element of all.

Not that many years ago, our courts ruled (again and again) that homosexual marriage was a violation of our laws. What changed? The constitution? No. Just public opinion.

That's what governs us today - public opinion.
You're obviously free to state your opinions - we allow the KKK to state their opinions as well. But this fight is about over and freedom will be the winner.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:04 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,860,884 times
Quote:

Those of us who are not in favor of "gay marriage" have to just sit quietly on the sidelines these days, and keep our mouths shut, because dissenting opinions are just not permitted on forums like this, and that's multiplied many times over if our opinion is based in religious teaching. So much for "open discussion."
Complete nonsense.

And your post is an example. It's allowed, despite the fact that you have no right to post here. Neither do I - on this private website, only the owners have a right to post here. The rest of us post at their pleasure. And yet, contrary to your claims of oppression, you're allowed to post here.

Quote:
Those who dare open their mouth and say something get called all manner of epithets and ugly names. Mean-spirited, acrimonious verbal abuse is the norm for anyone not waving a flag in favor of gay marriage.
And the same has been, and is still, directed against gays. On these boards, in public, by our elected represetantives. How come you aren't whining about that?

Your views are perfectly legal. But only 12 years ago, being gay in many states was illegal, punishable by fine or jail. Did you ever speak out against that? Being gay still means ostracization from some communities and families. And it still means violence.

When was the last time that happened to you?

In how many states is it unlawful for you to marry the consenting adult of the gender to which you are attracted?

Yes, keep on bleating about how oppressed you think you are...

Quote:
In a supposedly enlightened society, perhaps that's the most objectionable element of all.

Not that many years ago, our courts ruled (again and again) that homosexual marriage was a violation of our laws. What changed? The constitution? No. Just public opinion.

Not that many years ago, courts ruled (again and again) that interracial marriage was a violation of the law. What changed? The constitution? No. Just public opinion.

Not that many years ago, courts ruled (again and again) that segregation was perfectly legal. What changed? The constitution? No. Just public opinion.

Here's a clue - public opinion has always been an element of constitutional interpretation. And despite pretending to have principles against such a means of change, you're fine with it - except when you don't like the change. And that's not being principled; that's being self-centered.

PS - Note that I (quite accurately) called you 'self-centered'. Now you get to revel in your self-perceived oppressed at being called something. See? It's a win-win! I call out your nonsense, and you get to self-flagellate yourself over that calling out!

Old 03-05-2015, 11:15 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,529,222 times
Do you honestly believe that it's this low?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams12 View Post
A Missouri mom is accused of raping a 12-year-old boy while her son was in her basement.

Mom Accused In Rape Of Son's 12-Year-Old Friend

The prevalence of child sexual abuse is difficult to determine because it is often not reported. 1 in 5 girls and 1 in 20 boys is a victim of child sexual abuse. 3 out of 4 adolescents who have been sexually assaulted were victimized by someone they knew well . Disgusting.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:18 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,599,978 times
Quote:

It IS mean spirited to make laws ruling AGAINST gay marrige. Period.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:35 AM

1,653 posts, read 2,316,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
Misleading article title. The accusation is for statutory rape, not regular rape. Two different issues.
In the case of a 12 year old it's just Rape.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:36 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,766,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
And just you watch, I bet she'll only get a quarter of the time in jail as a man would get for the same crime.
Indeed, gotta love society's hypocrisy and double standards. Some people are of the mentality that only males can be guilty of sexual abuse, But there's actually many a tale of females who have sexually abused/molested males.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:26 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,233,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

To the guys who wish they were having sex with their friends's mothers or some other adult woman (or man), think about it. Apart from the experience, do you really want brag to your peers or tell your wife that you lost your virginity to a sociopathic child predator who liked having sex with children?
Yes As a 12 y.o. I would love to brag about it to my peers.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:10 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,595,798 times
I don't have much more to say. Alabama is notorious for making laws that make its people seem ignorant and uniformed. Between our state lawmakers and liberal propaganda, we the common people of the state really don't have a voice. We're often faced with choosing the lesser of the evils or seeing our perspective left out completely. Maybe it's not as bad as it was for those in the gay marriage debate, but I remember a time when being part of certain faiths or having certain disabilities was frowned upon here. People were afraid of us. Personally, I hate I live in such a place, where often the people with power are only the ones who abuse it. I also hate living in a place that's so cliquish that they aren't willing to see another's perspective.

Last edited by krmb; 03-05-2015 at 01:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies