Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2015, 01:45 AM

9,474 posts, read 10,816,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
Amendment XIV

Section 1.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

This seems pretty clear to me. All individuals have the same rights and protections. If two individuals of the same-sex want to marry, they have that right. It's very simple.

Yeah, it will happen whether they want to or not. It really is no different from segregation. I don't know how soon, but eventually same-sex marriage will be nationally recognized.

Yes, even in Alabama.

I am tired of the 14th amendment being used this way. This amendment was intended to protect ethnic minorities from institutional discrimination. It was not intended to protect every fringe group who claims a grievance. This equal protection clause could be used to allow polygamy, incest, heck people could claim they have a right to legally marry a tree. After all if people want to marry an oak tree don't they have the "right" to do it. Ex cons could claim they are not receiving "equal protection under the law" when they are not permitted to vote, the list goes on and on. States have the right to regulate all kinds of civil law, and marriage is one of them. These courts are out of line, and so is the federal government.
\
If you want gay marriage in your state, do it the right way and have it voted on by the citizens of your state, or by your state legislators. You have no right to force your will on the majority by the means of federal courts, or by federal usurpation of states rights.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:59 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,305,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Please show me where the Constitution says that gay marriage must be allowed and recognized everywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I am tired of the 14th amendment being used this way. This amendment was intended to protect ethnic minorities from institutional discrimination. It was not intended to protect every fringe group who claims a grievance. This equal protection clause could be used to allow polygamy, incest, heck people could claim they have a right to legally marry a tree. After all if people want to marry an oak tree don't they have the "right" to do it. Ex cons could claim they are not receiving "equal protection under the law" when they are not permitted to vote, the list goes on and on. States have the right to regulate all kinds of civil law, and marriage is one of them. These courts are out of line, and so is the federal government..
Marry a tree? Seriously?

No, the Constitution applies to humans, not plants. Discrimination based on sexual orientation is just as egregious as racial/ethnic discrimination, so the argument is equally valid.

Polygamy and incest are illegal for everyone, heterosexuals and homosexuals alike, so how is that remotely relevant? It's also unconstitutional to deprive ex-cons of the right to vote: once they've served their sentence they should have the right to fully participate is society just as much as anyone else.

The people who ardently oppose same-sex marriage are gradually dying off. It's only a matter of time before it's nationally recognized. I'll enjoy watching people like you squirm.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:11 AM

9,474 posts, read 10,816,601 times
Quote:
Marry a tree? Seriously?

No, the Constitution applies to humans, not plants. Discrimination based on sexual orientation is just as egregious as racial/ethnic discrimination, so the argument is equally valid.

Polygamy and incest are illegal for everyone, heterosexuals and homosexuals alike, so how is that remotely relevant? It's also unconstitutional to deprive ex-cons of the right to vote: once they've served their sentence they should have the right to fully participate is society just as much as anyone else.

The people who ardently oppose same-sex marriage are gradually dying off. It's only a matter of time before it's nationally recognized. I'll enjoy watching people like you squirm.

Im glad you enjoy watching "people like me squirm". I however find nothing entertaining about watching my country destroyed, both its freedoms and its moral compass going down in such a short period of time. This nation is doomed to go down like Rome, dragged down by its decadence and immorality. What a sad time this is in history.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:05 AM

5,793 posts, read 5,114,502 times
Quote:
I am tired of the 14th amendment being used this way. This amendment was intended to protect ethnic minorities from institutional discrimination. It was not intended to protect every fringe group who claims a grievance. This equal protection clause could be used to allow polygamy, incest, heck people could claim they have a right to legally marry a tree. After all if people want to marry an oak tree don't they have the "right" to do it. Ex cons could claim they are not receiving "equal protection under the law" when they are not permitted to vote, the list goes on and on. States have the right to regulate all kinds of civil law, and marriage is one of them. These courts are out of line, and so is the federal government.
\
If you want gay marriage in your state, do it the right way and have it voted on by the citizens of your state, or by your state legislators. You have no right to force your will on the majority by the means of federal courts, or by federal usurpation of states rights.
Well, then I guess you also wanted the people to vote for extending voting rights to women, colored folks, and allowing mix race marriages? Are you really that dense as to think that certain groups of "minority" people should have to ask permission from the majority for their rights? Think about it.

Let's get this straight. No one is forcing anyone to accept or go get a "gay wedding". You dont need to like it, see it or participate in it. But you also DON'T have the right to have a vote on it. It's none of your business, and equality is everyone's business. Get it?

Old 03-06-2015, 03:06 AM

5,793 posts, read 5,114,502 times
Quote:
Im glad you enjoy watching "people like me squirm". I however find nothing entertaining about watching my country destroyed, both its freedoms and its moral compass going down in such a short period of time. This nation is doomed to go down like Rome, dragged down by its decadence and immorality. What a sad time this is in history.
You can always move to Russia, where homophobia is translated into state policy. You'd be very happy there.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:34 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,638,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Please show me where the Constitution says that gay marriage must be allowed and recognized everywhere.
The Supreme Court is making a decision on whether gay marriage falls under the 14th Amendment this year. Given the way most federal judges have decided, it doesn't look good for the homophobes.

The exact text reads as follows:

The 14th Amendment, section 1:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:33 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,747,532 times
Quote:
Marry a tree? Seriously?

And homosexuality was illegal for most of our country's history (until the 1980s).

How long before polygamy and incest are considered "acceptable alternative lifestyles"?

Ten years? 20?

Won't be too far in our future.

And the same "self-interest groups" will be making the same noises about how it's A-okay to sleep with whomever you wish, and it doesn't hurt anyone, and it's just two consenting adults...

We're right on track for that.

Last edited by RosemaryT; 03-06-2015 at 04:41 AM..

Old 03-06-2015, 04:36 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,584,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Yep. I'm about a state and a half north of you, but one of the first things I learned when I moved down here 3 years ago is that for every one of those stereotypes about the south, there's a reason for it. Every single one of them.

I'm going to get a real kick out of watching the federal government - once again - drag Alabama by the ear into the 21st Century. This is gonna be funnier than hell.

Wow, okay, I'm going to try to explain this one more time. Alabama is part THEOCRACY. The church and government here have so much control that the people don't really have their own voice. They depend heavily upon the church, their families, and their communities for support. If you want a movement to catch on like wildfire, you should go through the very church, traditions, and political systems the people trust, instead of trying to demolish them. The thing that gets me is that it seems like the racists and fascists know this, so that's the kind of sentiment often transferred to the people here. Why is this being allowed in the 21st century, and why hasn't anyone figured it out? Again, we are not backwards hicks; we are deeply religious people who are being lied to. We are used to it. We are wary of change unless it comes through the systems we trust. Everyone is acting like it's such a big mystery as to why we don't just hop on the bandwagon like everyone else. Would you trust the cat if you happen to be the canary? Would you hand yourself to the systems that violate the only entities you trust?

If you came through the systems we trust, this would not be an issue, and we would be as "liberal" and "progressive" as the rest of you, but since you actively oppose those systems, it's an "us" against "you" mentality that you foster. As we see it, you're just another strange entity trying to oppress us, and we will fight, because those we love and fear are being opposed without "just cause." If you would expose the ones we trust as liars and set our moral convictions (our interpretation of the Bible) free, then we would all be on the same page.

Last edited by krmb; 03-06-2015 at 05:03 AM..

Old 03-06-2015, 04:37 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,747,532 times
Quote:
It is, Daniel.

There's a reason that sodomy was illegal for 95% of our country's history.

Did you know that, as recently as 1986, the U. S. Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of sodomy laws?

As I said before, what changed?

Public opinion.

We're in trouble deep in this country.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:39 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,305,660 times
Quote:
Are you aware that the violence crime rate in the US has been steadily decreasing for the last several decades? Wouldn't that indicate our social morality is improving?

Also, most of the nations that have fully legalized same-sex marriage (Canada, Sweden, Luxembourg, Finland, Holland, others) are among the healthiest, most long-lived, and least-violent societies? Doesn't that indicate that at the first least indicate that same-sex marriage is either unrelated to societal health and morality, or might benefit society?

I agree the the US has many problems, but the don't seem related to same-sex marriage. Your argument seems to be, 'I don't like it, so it's immoral and makes me uncomfortable.' Is that pretty much the gist? Sorry, but that's a pathetic reason for legal bigotry. Most of us now recognize this, which is why you're on the losing side of history. Just like those who opposed abolishing slavery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
There's a reason that sodomy was illegal for 95% of our country's history.

Did you know that, as recently as 1986, the U. S. Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of sodomy laws?

As I said before, what changed?

Public opinion.
There's some truth to this, but changes based on public opinion aren't always a bad thing. Sodomy laws were always unjust and unconstitutional, but they were tolerated for so long because of public opinion. Many seem to only give shallow lip service in their endorsement of freedom, but they only want freedom for things that are important to them. Legalizing same-sex marriage is an expansion of freedom, not an imposition on anyone at all.

BTW, some of us heterosexuals are even more perverted sodomites than the LGBT persons you don't want to allow to be married.

Last edited by PanapolicRiddle; 03-06-2015 at 04:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies