Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 07:54 AM

549 posts, read 457,278 times

Advertisements

A few more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
2.“‘No good data’ for deaths from secondhand smoke.” – Dec 4 2014
If you say it's a lie, show us this "good data".

Quote:
9.“Poverty rate unchanged since 1960s even though we’ve spent trillions to address it.” – July 26, 2011
Seems 100% true to me: 15% in 1965 and in 2011
Poverty in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
10.“Obama administration manipulated illegal immigrant deportation figures.” – July 1, 2014
They did. Obama is the first to count apprehensions at the border as deportations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 12:45 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,286,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
The Daily Show doesn't ignore Obama gaffs, Fox News just gives them too much material to get through.

Fox is a news show.
Fox news is a Republican propaganda outlet. Real news wouldn't be running stories about how Jon Stewart is a big meanie, which is what led to the collection of lies told by right wingers on Fox in order to further the Republican cause.

Quote:
The Daily Show is a comedy show.
I imagine it upsets you, the way a comedy show exposes right-wingers as idiots and clowns. Does it bother you that Republicans are such a laughingstock? I was really impressed Mr. Stewart's reaction to the Republican liar and superstitious freak James Inhofe and his stupid snowball "argument". What a Republican dolt, that liar Inhofe.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:55 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,286,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The Left spend a lot of time digging and searching out "Fox News 'lies'." But they never examine their own favorite media.
Wah! Right wingers aren't bad for lying, normal people are bad for catching them! Reminds me of the way torture cowards don't blame Republicans for lying, but blame normal people for thinking Republicans are honest.

Hilarious. You dance divinely.

Quote:
I'm certain we could find at least as many misleading stories, and blatant lies from the other networks.
By all means, do so. That won't make your republican propaganda network any more honest, though. Republican talking points will still be garbage. This is because tu quoque arguments are garbage.

Quote:
Liberals have way too much time on their hands, if they are putting this much effort into 'cataloging' Fox's so-called "lies."
More whining about liberals. Darn those liberals for knowing the Republican scum on Fox News tells lies. Wah.

Quote:
However, all stories have an original source. Perhaps the only 'crime' is that of not adequately checking and verifying the validity of the the story before reporting.
Perhaps. Is this your argument? Republicans aren't dishonest, just incompetent?

Quote:
There is a larger 'crime' committed by the MSM, and that is what they omit from the news. The Benghazi scandal and cover up is a case in point.

I'll agree with this. Your pet tragedy isn't important, but it's pretty shocking what program directors consider news. That's a different issue from Fox News spreading its right-wing garbage, though. Anyway, continue whining about non-Republicans for being all mean and knowing Fox is drivel.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:02 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,454,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The Left spend a lot of time digging and searching out "Fox News 'lies'." But they never examine their own favorite media.
Networks suspending lying 'journalists':

• NBC - 1
• FOX - 0

Old 03-04-2015, 01:16 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,303,880 times
I am not sure why I bother to respond to someone who can not even start a civil conversation, but here goes.

Just the few ones I looked in written form were more opinion than fact and it depended on how you choose to interpret the facts.

For example, Tucker Carlson is right that more children die in bathtubs than by gun violence. On average 62 children die from gun violence and about 122 die from household drownings (not including pools).

"Children" are not the same as "minors", the CDC defines children as 14 years and under and they are the ones who compile the statistics on causes of death in the U.S.

So if that is the level of accuracy one can expect from the Vine, what is the point.

You do know the Daily show is a comedy show right? Not a news show?

Old 03-04-2015, 03:34 PM

57,316 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
I am not sure why I bother to respond to someone who can not even start a civil conversation, but here goes.

Just the few ones I looked in written form were more opinion than fact and it depended on how you choose to interpret the facts.

For example, Tucker Carlson is right that more children die in bathtubs than by gun violence. On average 62 children die from gun violence and about 122 die from household drownings (not including pools).

"Children" are not the same as "minors", the CDC defines children as 14 years and under and they are the ones who compile the statistics on causes of death in the U.S.

So if that is the level of accuracy one can expect from the Vine, what is the point.

Very convenient Tucker Carlson makes a comment and now we hear the fine tuning to explain his statistics, maybe next time he can footnote his comments so that we understand that his definition of a child is the CDC and not the generally accepted definition. By the way doctors have done studies and they go up to 18 years.

Regardless those numbers seem very low for both do you have a link.

Yes the Daily Show is a Comedy but the shows Carson appears on are supposed to be serious news commentary

Old 03-04-2015, 11:23 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,571 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvega View Post
A few more

If you say it's a lie, show us this "good data".

Seems 100% true to me: 15% in 1965 and in 2011
Poverty in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They did. Obama is the first to count apprehensions at the border as deportations.
Politifact already did the ground work for you and someone posted the link a couple of pages back, and the link has data to back up its point.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post

Tucker Carlson was specifically talking about an incident that happened in New York city that involved 2 children around the age of 12 and 14.

The only age group where bath tub deaths actually out number gun deaths is the age of 0-4, in every other age group, gun deaths out number bath tub deaths.

Its really hard for you to defend Carlson within the context to which he was speaking.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact...e-bathtubs-do/

I understand you want to defend republicans, but you are stretching.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shihku7 View Post
Pew Research already found that FOX, CNN and MSNBC are highly biased. MSNBC is the worst offender, followed by FOX then CNN
Coverage of the Candidates by Media Sector and Cable Outlet | Pew Research Center's Journalism Project

The network news (ABC, CBS, NBC) were much better than the cable news channels

Nowadays I just read Reuters.com..
There is nothing wrong with reading Reuters, but your link is a lie.

the Pew Poll defined what is positive coverage and what is negative coverage. Not bias.

It defines saying someone is "up in the polls " as a positive and saying they are "down in the polls" is a negative.

Simply saying Barack Obama is winning in the polls in 2012 was seen as a positive.

(line to 2012 polls/popular vote)
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...171.html#polls

Link to electoral college
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...llege_map.html

from August 27th to October 21(the dates of the study), I count 40 polls in which Barack Obama lead, 9 in which mitt Romney lead, and 4 ties.

MSNBC's results were 39 Positive stories on Obama 15 Negative

Fox was 46 Negative, and 6 positive.

CNN 18 positive, 21 negative

For Romney it was

71 negative, 3 positive (MSNBC)
12 Negative, 28 Positive Fox.

CNN 36 negative ,11 positive

As for the second link, click on the "no toss up " tabs and then run through the dates. Mitt Romney never lead during the entire race.

How can you call it bias to report the truth ??????? I could see if he had lead the majority at some point, but he didnt.

Fox simply didnt report those polls and there for was "less negative" when it came to talking about Republicans.

Please take time to read the polls and not some writer's interpretation of them, because writers as just as biased as you claim the news is.

Last edited by dsjj251; 03-04-2015 at 11:49 PM..

Old 03-05-2015, 10:06 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Notice that the link provides dates but not who said them. I've seen many times where the lies that Fox News made actually end up being something said by a guest and not by a Fox news anchor.

Lie 3 is an example of this. Karl Rove said this while he was on Fox News. Karl Rove is not a news anchor for Fox News. He is a commentator who appears on Fox as a guest.

Lie number 6: Nancy Pelosi suggested this. Pelosi: Jail time “very fair” for failing to buy your patriotic ObamaCare coverage « Hot Air So a Democrat suggests something that doesn't end up happening, then Fox is accused of lying for reporting it.

Lie number 2: this is an opinion. "Good" is a subjective judgment. Just because you think some data is "good" doesn't mean someone else is a liar if they say the data isn't good.

I'm sure that if I took the time, I could discredit all 10 examples as either being from guests and not from Fox, being opinions rather than lies, being misrepresented, or being honest mistakes rather than deliberate misinformation. It's usually the people calling Fox liars who are themselves lying in order to make Fox look bad, just as in all 3 examples I bothered looking up. None of the 3 were legitimate examples of dishonesty.

By all means, continue to swallow Fox "News" whole and unanalyzed.

It's your right.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies