Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 06:23 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,516,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
Many tire of your inability to actually refute arguments and your proclivity for posting only insults and personal attacks.
I can refute only arguments that are presented. Emotions and lamentations, I can't and don't dispute. There are those whose actual comprehension of Social Security, as one example, falls short of justifying anything approaching the degree of bravado they project over the issue. A few of these sorts have even come to interjecting attacks and insults into threads that I have not or not materially posted in. If you would wish to chastise some for being ill-mannered, I would suggest that you would better set your sights in a different direction...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 06:24 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,669,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
There IS a huge surplus...
Hillary is telling everyone is will be broken by 2012, is that a scare tactic or what?
Obama is saying the baby boomers will break the bank?

Where is the surplus? Do you have a link?

Not testing you at all, but I would like to see for sure if there is because everyone seems to think it is going broke and allot of older people are actually scared.

Not long ago someone said it is funded until 2027, now they say 2012?

Old 01-13-2008, 06:35 PM

229 posts, read 171,095 times
Default Really?

Quote:
There IS a huge surplus...
Up is down?

The Outstanding Public Debt as of 14 Jan 2008 at 01:33:10 AM GMT is:

Old 01-13-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakijy View Post
Up is down?

Read again, they posted that there was a surplus in the SS fund.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Well, I'm sorry you are into the "it takes a village" concept.
I'm sorry that you think you can live in a village, deriving all the benefits thereof, while recognizing no personal obligation to support the village in return.

Quote:
I'm also very glad that I am not having to contribute to your social security. On the same token, you are not contributing to mine.
I will likely never bother to claim benefits. It's sort of a matching pledge I have with various undocumented workers of this area. If they, enjoying a standard of living that is signficantly below mine, can pay and pay and pay and then walk away from the benefits accrued, well, I can probably afford to do the same. As for you, I hope that your personal empire will be sufficient to see you through. But if it should all come tumbling down at some point, I and/or other villagers like me will be there -- out of pocket -- to help you pick up the pieces...

Old 01-13-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakijy View Post
Up is down?

Anyone would be in this hole if you had Katrina, Wild Fires, 9/11, send money to several countries for their disasters and all the problems we have come across that takes money to fix.
There is no way we can balance our money when disasters hit over and over again and we continue to spend money on illegals and social welfare programs.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:45 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,313,706 times
Quote:
As for you, I hope that your personal empire will be sufficient to see you through. But if it should all come tumbling down at some point, I and/or other villagers like me will be there -- out of pocket -- to help you pick up the pieces...
Actually, you won't

As I do not "contribute" to SS, I can never recieve Social Security nor any of the other .... "ancillary" benefits.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:47 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,313,706 times
Quote:
I'm sorry that you think you can live in a village, deriving all the benefits thereof, while recognizing no personal obligation to support the village in return.
Nope - I have no personal or impersonal obligation to support you or anyone else - Only myself and my family.

It is called "Personal Responsibility" - a term you Washington types know little about.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
No, there is not
I guess that would depend on whether you consider $2.5 trillion to be huge or not...

Old 01-13-2008, 06:57 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,262,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
Hillary is telling everyone is will be broken by 2012, is that a scare tactic or what?
Obama is saying the baby boomers will break the bank?

Where is the surplus? Do you have a link?

Not testing you at all, but I would like to see for sure if there is because everyone seems to think it is going broke and allot of older people are actually scared.

Not long ago someone said it is funded until 2027, now they say 2012?
This was already answered in Post #38, along with links to the sourced report. If you are in favor of or against Social Security, the fund is not in trouble, and a detailed analysis show this to be true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies