Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: walmart good bad or over
EVIL WALLYWORD 29 38.16%
GOOD WALLYWORLD 28 36.84%
I just go elsewhere 19 25.00%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 06:33 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,292,275 times

Advertisements

I would have bought it at walmart,but I admit I do my grocery shopping there every monday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2006, 06:52 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,476,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystree66 View Post
I would have bought it at walmart,but I admit I do my grocery shopping there every monday.
Ya I shop there but if I find something for a little more at Target I go there But here we have 7 wallmarts in a 20 mile radius. then again we have 2 targets within 5 miles 2macy's 1 kohls 1 sams club 1 BJ's wholesale club 2 lowes and 3 home depots along with 1 kmart 1 jcpenny 1 sears so we can pretty much comparison shop on bigger items but with 4 kids and 2 of them in the fashion age we don't get there cloths at wally word. Name brand matters. actually i'm guilty too I wear carhart and for those I go to bobs store. wally world might have the namebrands now but signiture levis don't hold up as well as silvertabs do. I don't know you can't sell stuff for cheap unless you make it cheap. i'd rather spend the xtra and know it will last than pay less 3 times. Like my work boot I wear chippawa american made I got 4 years out of them for $175 if I but wallyword wolverines I spend $60 and have to replace them in 4 months so by going to the $175 I actually save over $200.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:06 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
I will never, ever shop at Walmart. I don't care if I have to spend a few more $ somewhere else. Employees are treated badly and many of them can't afford healthcare, so they go on state programs (or their kids), so in effect I am subsidizing Walmart with my tax $. All they have is cheaply made stuff that doesn't last. Clothes that i have seen from there look cheap, I guess cleaning products, shampoo etc. would be ok, but why not go to Costco, a store that treats their employees much better and has prices that are just as low. Mostly I try to buy quality items. In the end, this is cheaper. If I buy a cheap hair dryer and it only lasts a year, isn't it cheaper to buy one quality one that will last 5 years? I also buy a lot of used items, saves resources, both the earths and mine, LOL.
I have watched the movie about Walmart and read a lot about their practises - thanks, but not thanks.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:15 PM

922 posts, read 1,909,163 times
today a friend called me to tell me that wal-mart, her employer, would not let her take time off while her 8yr old son had a surgery, minor yes but under the knife. it is against state law to refuse her since she has leave she could take. nice family store arent they?

Old 11-06-2006, 08:29 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,987,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
today a friend called me to tell me that wal-mart, her employer, would not let her take time off while her 8yr old son had a surgery, minor yes but under the knife. it is against state law to refuse her since she has leave she could take. nice family store arent they?
She's entitled to FMLA and there's not a thing WM can do about it.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:42 PM

922 posts, read 1,909,163 times
Default fmla

I know its the law but wal-mart told her she would be fired if she didnt work. im sure it was a misunderstanding, no, thats exactly what they wanted her to think. many employers take advantage of people wanting or needing to work. funny how humans still like to control others, upper management has a bad attitude, i know so do employees. its a tough line.

Old 11-06-2006, 10:35 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
I don't shop at Wal-Mart at all. I do shop at Costco a LOT!

I agree with most of the things MoMark said about Wal-Mart. I think their employees should unionize!

Old 11-06-2006, 10:46 PM

923 posts, read 3,513,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
I shop at Meijer's. I support the standard of living that makes America-America, which is the middle class.

Everyone complains the middle class is evaporating but continues to buy the cheaper goods which is China, India, Tawain and so forth. Contradictory? I think so. Some times you have to spend a little more to support local, union, state, coutry businesses but it's well worth it to keep the standard of living.

Pretty soon we're gonna have to kick the illegal immigrants/undocumented workers out to take up jobs. (sorry...ranting away....)
That's the Ticket Blue Grass!
I suppport my local, state or American stores/products first--just like my Dad!
Walmart Represents everything that is wrong with this Country(Outsoursing,Low-Wages,Mistreatment of workers,Greed,No honor or loyalty,etc.)
Why empower Red China to build more bombs to use against us?

Walmart is PURE EVIL!!

Old 11-06-2006, 11:04 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,815 times
Junkmart will close a store if there is even a hint of the big U word. They did it in Canada

Old 11-06-2006, 11:30 PM

13 posts, read 32,850 times
My sister works at Wal-Mart and she likes it a lot. It pays the best of any company that doesn't require much experience. And she is eligable for benifits. So any time I hear people complain about Wal-Mart I know it's just because it was founded by a Christian man, who wasn't a fanatic liberal. When Wal-Mart came to Fairbanks,Alaska it was like a city wide event. And I am not one bit guilty about getting the lowest prices, even if the products do come from China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies