Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 01:50 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,120,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Some estimates are twice as high as the 650,000 figure. Opinion Research Business (ORB) poll conducted August 12-19, 2007 estimated 1,220,580 violent deaths due to the Iraq War.

The reason Soros financed a legitimate study is because President Bush pulled the figure of 30,000 out of the air, which was patently ridiculous, since there are virtually no studies that turned up figures that low for even one year of the war, which has now been going on longer than WWI or WWII. But the Bush figure was widely disseminated by the news media, which had little interest in publishing an accurate figure. In the Soros-funded Lancet study, a copy of a death certificate was available to support 92% of the reported deaths.

The Lancet is a highly respected, reputable British medical journal, equivalent to the New England Journal of Medicint or the Journal of the American Medical Association. Everything they publish meets rigid peer review, and they have plenty of experience in evaluating sources related to mortality and morbidity, which is their specialty.

It should be noted that that 650,000 figure does not even take into account the number of Iraqis who died as a direct result of continuous US bombing raids over Iraq during the ten years prior to the 2003 invasion, nor to the huge but unknowable number (probably millions) who died as a result of bad water, poor sanitation, and non-existent medical facilities that resulted from the American sanctions against Iraq during the same period. Overall in the past 20 years American action in Iraq has certainly killed well over a million Iraqis, probably several million. There is no way to guess now many more Iraqis will die in the next decades and centuries as a result of the litter of radioactdive depleted unranium from spent US weaponry on the Iraq battlefield. It is not surprising that media is too ashamed of American action to reference the magnitude of what has been done.

Pure speculation. You make it sound like there were more Iraqis killed than in World War II.
You're right; there is no way to guess. There is also no way to prove your assumptions either. Goes both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 02:28 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Last I heard the method for counting was flawed at best. door to door. Do you know anyone who was killed? Yes how many?
On to the next house and same question. It is reasonable to assume that they know the same people and numbers were counted repeatedly which in fact inflated the numbers drasticly.
I am anti-Iraq war. That doesn't mean that I am willing to accept bs numbers as fact.
Nor am I willing to accept full responsibility for those killed by insurgents armed by Iran or binladen.
If I had my way we never would have went to Iraq. Anyone who has ever served in the region could have predicted the outcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies